• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 rx1 primary clutch, weights and rollers

Brent nowland

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 rx1
Hello. I am shure this has been brought up or talked about a million times in this forum. I searched the forum and could not find it though.
I am new to the rx1 mountain le and the 4 stroke world with sleds.
The primary is bad so I need to do a primary on it. I have been told to go aftermarket since the stock one is bad. Is this true? If so does any one know where to get one. I am assuming the hole primary is bad. Spring weights and rollers and it is pitted on both sides. The secondary looks good though. I do some trail ridding and love to climb. So looking to see if any one can give a rookie some good advice. Calling my local Yamaha dealer has lead me to here.
I have went to eBay and found some but I do not get when they say uncalibrated.
I appreciate any one who could help enlighten me and point me in the right direction.

I would recommend getting a hold of Travis at Barn of Parts who parts out Yamaha snowmobiles before getting a used part off eBay. He's a site sponsor/vendor and have used him numerous times in the past for good quality used parts and probably has a complete primary for you. As for the recommendation you received for going aftermarket, I'm willing to bet the person meant to go with an aftermarket clutch kit that has clutch weights that can be tuned (ie. add/subtract weight), possibly rollers, primary spring, secondary helix, and secondary spring rather than purchase a complete aftermarket primary as that is what most do including myself. As for an uncalibrated primary, I suspect that is most likely a primary with no clutch weights and/or spring.

Thank u for the info. You have helped me out a lot. I am going to be taking off the primary the weekend to see if that is what it is. The noise should go away as long as the primary is removed.bif the noise is still there then I have more issues then a primary.
Again thank you for all you're info.

Hello. I am shure this has been brought up or talked about a million times in this forum. I searched the forum and could not find it though.
I am new to the rx1 mountain le and the 4 stroke world with sleds.
The primary is bad so I need to do a primary on it. I have been told to go aftermarket since the stock one is bad. Is this true? If so does any one know where to get one. I am assuming the hole primary is bad. Spring weights and rollers and it is pitted on both sides. The secondary looks good though. I do some trail ridding and love to climb. So looking to see if any one can give a rookie some good advice. Calling my local Yamaha dealer has lead me to here.
I have went to eBay and found some but I do not get when they say uncalibrated.
I appreciate any one who could help enlighten me and point me in the right direction.
Those primary's last a long time normally. What is wrong with it?
Pics?

It has a loud clack noise at idle. It kinda goes away if u rev it up to half throttle but is still there. The primary is not allowing the belt to ride all the way up the sheave . it will some times and then won't. Also seems to fall off and have no power at max throttle. It is hard for me to explain.
I have been told it needs a make over and cleaned. I also need the fixed sheave because the one on the sled has pits in it.
I am thank full for all ur guys help. I will post pics later today.

It has a loud clack noise at idle. It kinda goes away if u rev it up to half throttle but is still there. The primary is not allowing the belt to ride all the way up the sheave . it will some times and then won't. Also seems to fall off and have no power at max throttle. It is hard for me to explain.
I have been told it needs a make over and cleaned. I also need the fixed sheave because the one on the sled has pits in it.
I am thank full for all ur guys help. I will post pics later today.
Mostly normal to make the noise at low idle. Most of that can be taken away by installing the spider slides with 0-ring that Yamaha offers.
Roller and weight life was incredible on the machines.

Mostly normal to make the noise at low idle. Most of that can be taken away by installing the spider slides with 0-ring that Yamaha offers.
Roller and weight life was incredible on the machines.
Would u have a link for that?

If your confident in your mechanical skills you could get a clutch puller and take it off and go through it and clean it up that might be all it needs. If ya don't want to wrench I'm sure Travis from Barn Of Parts will have a calibrated one for your machine. All you would have to do then is change them out. The only thing is your secondary should also be taken a part and cleaned and if your not familiar with the way it works and comes apart it may be a bigger job than you could handle.

Would u have a link for that?
Look them up under a 08 Vector for example, under primary sheave it is #11 and #13 in the picture.
You'll have to find someone in your area, a dealer or mechanic that can split the spider to install them, and inspect the rest of the clutch.

I'll go out on a limb here...you told someone that you thought your primary was toast, that someone said "to go aftermarket" they were thinking that you should get (for example) a Powerbloc PB80 instead to buying another Yamaha factory clutch. Under $600 and lots of folks seem to really like them. I don't have one myself.

Back