• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2004 RX1 won't start and kicks like a mule

RX1 not starting,,,why?

• yamaha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not carbs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JohnJoe

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 Yamaha RX1
I have spark, gas but engine turns and won't fire. It's almost like the timing is off, it backfires and kicks. It resulted so far to strip starter gear, reduction gear,,,one way bearing. When and if it does start it runs fine,,,now seams like it's running lean last time it ran. We checked everything from stator, coils, carbs,wiring, safety switchs,,,and not gaining any ground,,soon I'm afraid we'll dammage the starter gears again because of the kickbacks from the engine. Anybody have any ideas?

Need more info, how many miles on the beast...etc...etc?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Need more info, how many miles on the beast...etc...etc?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
22000 kms I bought it "not running", we checked stator,,carbs,,all wiring. Now we start it and it runs fine,,until it hits low idlle,,then starts to sputter and stops. When we try to restat it,,it turns and then starts kicking back again. We checked throttle position sensor with ohm meter,,,, I have a mechanic from Yamaha shop with me,,and he's lost. Never seen this problem before. We even took valve cover off and check all timing marks and chain,,, The only "flash" code we gat was low charging system,,but now that went away and no other codes popped up.

I would suggest that you check the camshaft timing. It's possible it's jumped a tooth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would suggest that you check the camshaft timing. It's possible it's jumped a tooth

got all that checked,,,cams,,stator,pick up coil,,carb position sensor,,,compression 155psi

Timing chain tensioner was checked to be OK too?

i assume the nosecone wiring has been checked and the coils for arcing?

i assume the nosecone wiring has been checked and the coils for arcing?
we did have issues with coils arcing when they are pulled out of the holes,,,we changed them,,even took some from other machines but still have signs of arcing. We were wondering if this was a ground issue, since the coils keep working in both machines. Very hard to see if spark arc when coil is in place. Wiring harness was checked for broken wires,,,have no clue if cdi in nose can be deffective. The machine will fire and run,,,but verry hard to start.

I would strongly suggest getting into the carbs and do a very thorough clean and check before jumping any further into chasing internal engine ghosts. I sounds much more like plugged jets - particularly since it won't idle - and I have seen backfiring, etc. from carb issues many, many times. (Do a complete removal of the jets and not just a peek-a-boo taking the bowls down)

Back