• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RS Venture Handling

F3506.7

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2000 Yamaha SRX, 2006 Yamaha RS Venture, 1980 Enticer 340, 2005 Ski-Doo Renegade 600
I recently bought a 2005 RS Venture for my wife to ride. We made a trip last week, and put on a couple hundred miles. She also rode my dad's 2010 Ski-Doo Grand Touring 600. The problem she is having with our Venture is difficult (heavy) steering, and a tendency to push in the corners. I have owned many sleds in the past, but this is our first 2-up and our first four stroke. Does anybody have any suggestions on dialing in the suspension to help this? Should I purchase different skis? Would a different style carbide help?

Just looking for suggestions. I have not had a chance to mess with the limiter strap yet, but thought this would be a good place for some pointers.

First, please fill out your location info.
Yes, heavy steering compared to the ski-doo 600, probably at least a 100 lbs heavier. That would be normal. As far as darting and pushing in the corners, some type of dual carbide will help. Everyone on this site seems to have a different way to solve this. I prefer using SnowTracker carbides as they really do work. You just install them and that's it, no shimming of skis or anything else is necessary. Apparently the new Yamaha Tuner skis work pretty good as well, but new carbides will be half what you would spend on new skis and their associated carbides.

Thanks for the info. I also got my location info updated. New to the site today, so I can use all the pointers I can get.

I found a couple other threads on this same topic, but most of the talk is regarding the clicker shocks on the newer sleds. It sounds like I need to go soft with the center shock spring, and 1 hole tighter with the limiter strap for a starting point.

I have the same sled...look for posts by Hondo here as he had a ton of info. Level the a arms out, we run Simmons skis and put a 13mm sway bar. It will help a ton.

Unfortunately some of the things one might do to fix the pushing issue (get more weight on the skis for example) might even make the steering harder. Jack up the front so the skis are off the ground and make sure all the steering bushings are lubricated and not squeeeking or binding.

Jarmentrout,

Yep. I did realize that the steering may get more difficult with the added ski pressure. I think this will just be part of the learning curve on the set-up procedure. I was also thinking about trying a set of Ski-Doo Pilot skis. I have run several Ski-Doo's in the past, and have a set to try. I think they would help with the darting once the ski pressure is increased to the point that I might be able to back the ski pressure off a little.

Also used 5.7 pilots skis with a 6" center and 4" outer carbides, was not a better solution for darting/handling than the SnowTrackers and cost more. If you have a spare set of pilots or can get them for cheap, then try them as they are better than the stock Yamaha planks.

Has anybody tried the Yamaha Tuner skis on this sled?

Welcome to the forum -

I have the same sled, but 2006 and I too had the same issue as many others have had. What I did was purchase a set of bergstrom carbides. I spoke with Scott the owner and he recommended the 8" triples along with ski savers and shim. Once set up total installation time was about an hour.

This easy install made a WORLD of difference and turning corners now feels like riding on railroad tracks. It truly keeps you planted and steering is much easier for me.

Hope this helps.

Our Vectors (05 and 11) are both heavy to steer in the front end but I only find it difficult as you're entering a corner. The Torque Braking of the 4-Stroke loads up the weight on the Ski's even more than just the extra sled weight. This is no-doubt why Yamee developed the Electronic Power Steering. I'd love to drive a Vector with it to see the difference

With some experience, I seem to have found a sweet-spot of not "Letting off too much" going in and then feathering the throttle going through the corner.

My 11 LTX still darts a bit but I've done nothing with it .. it's not too uncomfortable and you can always pound the throttle to get rid of it :)

Wife's 05 was really darty. There's lots of options .. I installed SnoTrackers on her Vector and my old Viper and they all but eliminated the darting. Her 05 rides like a train on rails, even in wet heavy snow on groomed trails

I'm going to put the new Tuner Ski's on my LTX once Momma approves the funding.

Woody"s 6 in duallies seem to remove almost all darting and make for easy turning,though they do push some in the corners . The push gets progressively worse with wear on carbides and speed.I tried Johnmaster Doubledown 6 in carbides and they are more aggressive than the Woodies. They do add some drag to the front end and cut pretty deep so they catch on things in low cover but are a good durable product and handle well.I now have the Tuners on and wore through the first set of Yamaha carbides very quickly. I tried the 6in square and 2in round and they held the trail real well but seemed twitchy maybe because they were to different in size or the carbide wore off unevenly. I am trying 4in carbides now and will repost after some riding. I bought woodies replacement carbides as I hope they will wear better. . On my 05 Venture , my front shocks are one click below firmest, track shock is set to middle,limiter strap in stock position,and rear blocks set to low,transfer has two threads showing above red marks. Good luck as there are so many options and variables!

@ Tabor Rider .... any idea "Why" the tuner stock Carbides wore early ?? Do you think they wore quicker than normal based on the amount of time you spend on Asphault, Gravel etc? I'm wanting to put the Tuners on my '11 Vector LTX and don't want to spend a ton of money repeatedly on premature wear ?

simmons flex gen 1 skis hands down. i have run stock, c&a pros ,and simmons are night and day, strait as an arrow and when you turn the handle bars you turn.. Still turns hard because these sleds weigh a ton . drop limiter strap to take a little pressure off the front

SXVectorMax1, could you please add your location as per site rules. thanks .

@SXVectorMax1 I did a lot of late season riding in March last year and crossed and ran on lots of thawed dirt roads. That was def a factor but the carbide pieces seemed to pop right off without wearing the host bar much. Never had that issue with woodys products so I'm using their replacements. I think you'll be happy with the tuners and they are only 75 dollars apiece. The 4 in carbides were 55 dollars a set.part #W4-645. So far so good.

Back