• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex GT tips and tricks

YammieMan

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX1
I just sold my 2003 RX1, and bought a 2006 hamaha apex with a lot of upgrades, it has the longer track, GTYI front sbocks etc... it has 10,000 miles on it. Im looking for any tips, tricks that i should be aware of that i can get looked after before the snow falls

Last edited:

A lot to look at, but let's start with NUMERO UNO.
Bulkhead & Bushings.
Inspect for cracks where the A-arms attach to front end.
If the bushings are really sloppy, replace them, preferably with "Oilite" bushings.

A lot to look at, but let's start with NUMERO UNO.
Bulkhead & Bushings.
Inspect for cracks where the A-arms attach to front end.
If the bushings are really sloppy, replace them, preferably with "Oilite" bushings.
Thanks for the tip... please forgive me.. as I'm new to this. But can I inspect this without taking it all apart? Is there a quick way to check the bushings any tips? Thanks

Yes
Roll onto your back & creep your head under the very front where the bottom A-arms attach.
Just look for cracks.
Unless you have a lift then you don't have to crawl around like a snake & get oil in your hair or metal chips stuck in your elbows.
If the A-arms are sloppy in there, it's like hitting that bulkhead with a hammer 8,000,000,000 times per weekend.............they can break.
If NO cracks, just kinda pick the front up & down a bit to see how sloppy it is. Watch where those bolts are.
YOU'LL KNOW! It will be noticeable if it's sloppy. If you don't notice it then it's probably OK.

I think there's some vids on some posts here somewhere.
Do a SEARCH for A-arm bushings

I loved my 06 APEX GT, I would wash and detail dry you will learn a lot. If all is straight and no wiggle ( the sloppy movement Steve is talking about). I would have the shocks rebuilt by CannonDale on this site. Many have had exhaust issues and you again will know if BACKFIRES or obvious sound in middle of the sled. This is as good a trail sled as you can buy in my not so humble opinion, I put >10,000 miles on that sled and loved them all and always made it home. Only repairs were shocks and the exhaust I described. ENJOY

Yes
Roll onto your back & creep your head under the very front where the bottom A-arms attach.
Just look for cracks.
Unless you have a lift then you don't have to crawl around like a snake & get oil in your hair or metal chips stuck in your elbows.
If the A-arms are sloppy in there, it's like hitting that bulkhead with a hammer 8,000,000,000 times per weekend.............they can break.
If NO cracks, just kinda pick the front up & down a bit to see how sloppy it is. Watch where those bolts are.
YOU'LL KNOW! It will be noticeable if it's sloppy. If you don't notice it then it's probably OK.

I think there's some vids on some posts here somewhere.
Do a SEARCH for A-arm bushings
Thanks Boss!!! Love how descriptive you are.. love it!

I loved my 06 APEX GT, I would wash and detail dry you will learn a lot. If all is straight and no wiggle ( the sloppy movement Steve is talking about). I would have the shocks rebuilt by CannonDale on this site. Many have had exhaust issues and you again will know if BACKFIRES or obvious sound in middle of the sled. This is as good a trail sled as you can buy in my not so humble opinion, I put >10,000 miles on that sled and loved them all and always made it home. Only repairs were shocks and the exhaust I described. ENJOY
Thanks!!!!

I guess i should have first asked if you have any information from last owner as to what & when he did to sled.
At 10,000 miles, the bushings, donuts & shock rebuild should have already been done once maybe even twice.

We'll look at donuts when you're done with front bushing conclusion.

Change the relays to the latest versions, and if the starter solenoid hasn't been changed in a while, change it also. I would stay with the Yamaha starter solenoid.

Do you know if the previous owner had ever changed the drive axle? Many of these often broke with higher miles. Also inspect the left side drive bearings.

Upgrade the headlights to HID.

Change the relays to the latest versions, and if the starter solenoid hasn't been changed in a while, change it also. I would stay with the Yamaha starter solenoid.
Which relay?

Do you know if the previous owner had ever changed the drive axle? Many of these often broke with higher miles. Also inspect the left side drive bearings.
The axle bearing and speedo were just done last year.. not sure about the axle though.. what is a sign of the axle needing replacing?

I have an 06 Apex GT that now has about 8600 miles on it. It is still a 121". I have replaced the track with a Ripsaw 2 and upgraded the driveshaft to the thicker one from a 2012 Vector (also has extrovert drivers) but had to have a machine shop modify the chaincase end to fit in the chaincase because the older models don't have the extra support bearing. I have also had to replace a cracked bulkhead (was probably cracked before we bought it). I have installed Oilite front end bushings, cooper exhaust donuts, upgraded stainless steel y-pipes, the larger Excell X-wheels, 2" Lake Effect pivoting riser, and probably some more things that I am not remembering right now. I bought a 15 Viper LTX turbo a couple of seasons ago and the Apex is our spare sled now.

Back