• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 ApexGt VS 2010 Sno-pro Cat limited turbo 177hp ??

DaveyBoy

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Website
lacroixmotorsports.tripod.com
Anyone know how fast these new cats are a couple friends just bought 2 i want to know if i can keep up with them or not? I guess i better give Ulmer a call ;)! #$%&* #$%&* If anyone has any info on this i would appreciate it my 06 is all stock.I am thinking of doing these things to it what should I do? I do have 6.9 pilots a wore out ice ripper.

Clutch kit
Track
studs
lengthen to 144
air box mod
plugs
loose some weight myself lol
maybe a programmer but that looks expensive

Yes, start by dropping some pounds (in which I need to as well).

Well, I havent run a 'stock' Turbo cat yet so I cant help you there.

Here are some questions for you. Are you looking to best them in a 1/4 mile type drag race or top end? Do you still want your sled to be a trail sled friendly sled?

I dont think you need to go to 144" unless you are going to turbo/supercharge it. 128" or 136" is plently IMO for what you are looking to do. The 128" Cobra works great for my sled and the type of riding I do.

Give Allan at Ulmer Racing a call and I would assume he will point you in the right direction when it comes to whatever you want out of your sled. Just keep in mind...re-gearing and clutching need traction. So start with the track and studs. You will be amazed on the increase in acceleration if you have good/better traction. Clutch it and re-gear it from there. If you want to do it all at once...get the power commander, ignition module and air box as well. Track, studs, gears, clutch kit will easily put you over a grand. At least another $700 for the PC, IM and air box.

Apex

You shouldn't go to 144 with your 121. Geometry in the skid gets weird, it will also limit top end. All the clutching and conventional work is going to cost a lot, and make your sled quicker, and maybe a little faster, but it will be an uphill battle. You are dealing with a boosted sled that has the ability to be over boosted and you won't know it. Depends on traction and snow conditions. The Cat 121 has a hard time hooking up also. IMO, save your clams like I am and get a CPR turbo or MPI SC and clutching. Fight fire with fire.

I want a trail sled, I should add they will leave there sleds STOCK they have no ambition or will not void warranty etc they are not wrenches i bet they don`t even adjust there suspension :o| I just want to know where i stand with the apex.I know we will run a rail bed and a across the lake but on groomed trails not drag strips,they will not pin it and ride as agrresive as me on either but its hard to beat a sled once they get out front in a race like this,and if they have the Hp etc it may be tough to keep up with that if i don`t get the traction i need.I know i have to be easy on throttle now cause i will just spin the track like hell so i take it easy when i get it going unless we are rolling i`ve beat a lot of picked sleds this way not by much but by enough ;)! I guess i will race them on under a 1/4 mile and get picked and clutched a few pounds will help to i weigh about 230 so if i can get down to 210 or so it couldnt hurt except for the lack of enjoying food.i hear there sleds weigh about 680 dry yikes my Rx-1 weighed 665 with 5 gallons off gas and i didnt like riding that all day but like the apex compared to that heap.
which is better low,medium or tall windshield to race with i would say low right

I had a turbo Z1 sno-pro with the Cobra track on last year. I can tell you it was a slouch. I could not run with my neighbors warmed over RX-1 last year and my Attak would walk right away from the turbo Z1. The Cobra track kills the Cat. The Turbos with 1" hacksaw runs much better.

Many many disappointed Turbo owners last year. The honest ones will tell you that, course some have never been beat, or perhaps they are just not honest, can't imagine that! Every owner that I talked with last year said the same thing. DOGS, not Cats!

I had to get rid of mine even after the boondocker and meth injection. Way, way too much time and money into it.

They certainly are not the fastest production sled built, not even close. Biggest disappointment I've ever had with a snowmobile.

Unless they made them faster than last year you can run with them easily if they are stock. With my mods listed below I could take my friends stocker with a D&D clutch kit from top to bottom everytime on the lake. He also had all the updates done on his secondary clutch. They feel like they are missing 20hp. They also weigh 20 lbs more than our pigs!!!! They do ride and handle better however.

Apex set up

Just try a silver Sec.Spring set at 100 degree 4MPH on top alot more mid and only costs 20bucks. I didnt think it would work but worked better then 2 kits I payed big bucks for.

A friend of mine has one.. and he wouldnt run me last year and he has double the studs.. It doesnt hook and and doesnt have much on top end to..

My buddy with a stock XTX with no studs beat him by 5+ lengths out of the hole, at about 80+ the cat finally crept by and got no more than 4 lengths ahead of him threwout top speed..

HUM.... Makes me miss my turbo RX-1. I could pull up on the lake and not even care what other sleds were out there because I knew I was gunna be the first one at the other end of the run..... AAAHHHH (sigh)...

I have never ridden one or raced one but I spoke to a guy last year that bought one. He traded in his 06 Apex and said it was the biggest mistake he ever made. It lacked power compared to his Apex and he said the fit and finish was terrible compared to the Yamaha. He told me to keep my sled.

I too was a Cat owner last year until I switched over. I had a chance to run with a 2009 Cat Turbo owner and my 2008 Apex and I didn't have any problems keeping the lead throughout a straight away lake run for a few miles. I only saw him in the rear mirror.

I had 2007 Cats and although they had a great ride, their designers were junior to the Yamaha engineers. The problem I noticed was the fit of things, they just didn't seem to be designed to fit properly and when taking things apart, like the Diamond Drive, it was hell to remove it and put it back together. Gasketing would leak because the design was terrible of parts. The plastic hood could not be aligned properly on both and always looked off centred. The instrumentation / pod could not properly be screwed in after removing it because it was not designed properly.

Wiring harnesses were poorly designed and built where when you made a sharp turn, the wire would eventually wear out and short to the steering stem and stall the engine. blah blah blah...

All these things were brought to the attention during warranty and Arctic Cat could not fix them as they said "We cant fix it, thats the way they were designed"

I just didn't see these things with the Yamaha's, yet!

My buddy has one as well. We have a big trip planned for this feb and he's thinking on taking his 07 RTX before his Turbo. With all the riding we do (1200 miles+) there is only the smallest top end difference when we line up, and if were lake racing its who ever got the lead. Theres just not enough mph diifernce to say whos really faster. But on realiblity Yamaha cant be beat. The list of problems on my buddys Cat is long here are a few. His E.C.U doesn't work right, secondary clutch fell apart, blows a belt every 200-400miles, to much snow hits his clutchs so he duct taped vents, his heated seat quit working, front shock blew apart, and this sled has 2000 miles on it and Cat said cant fix a thing. Long story short Ill stick to my Apex.

Get the excell exhaust, PCIII/Ignition Controller, Ulmer airbox mod and clutching and he won't have a chance as long as he's stock. Now if he starts to mod, you won't beat it.. There was a guy on HCS that is selling that package, unless it is sold...

A well broke in STOCK Attak will pull away from a Turbo Z1. No worries, no need to spend a bunch of coin.

Back