• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Vector No Fire cyl #1

Zizgig81

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha SR Venture
Question: I also have a 2007 vector 973 triple. Number 1 coil pack no fire. Number 2 and 3 fire normal. Switch them around, all three coil packs fire when plugged in to any wiring except number 1. All three sets of wiring have 12.4 volts constant with the key on. All three sets of wiring have 6.8 volts on the signal wire when cranking the engine. Is it possible that the ECM is sending signal, but not enough to fire the coil pack? I ran a hot jumper to the 12v at the #1 coil, no change. I also ran a jumper wire on the signal for #1 (orange/brown stripe) from the ECM to the coil, still no fire. Checked the ground plug right by the ECM, all clean good ground.

Are al
Question: I also have a 2007 vector 973 triple. Number 1 coil pack no fire. Number 2 and 3 fire normal. Switch them around, all three coil packs fire when plugged in to any wiring except number 1. All three sets of wiring have 12.4 volts constant with the key on. All three sets of wiring have 6.8 volts on the signal wire when cranking the engine. Is it possible that the ECM is sending signal, but not enough to fire the coil pack? I ran a hot jumper to the 12v at the #1 coil, no change. I also ran a jumper wire on the signal for #1 (orange/brown stripe) from the ECM to the coil, still no fire. Checked the ground plug right by the ECM, all clean good ground.
Are all the coils the original stock Yamaha ?

Yes, even tried ones from my 2018 sr venture, same coils, same results.
If you slide a male terminal into the female portion on the harness, does it grip it firmly?
Note, you will need a male terminal on its own to do this test.

If you slide a male terminal into the female portion on the harness, does it grip it firmly?
Note, you will need a male terminal on its own to do this test.
Yes. I even found a couple female spade connectors and put them on the coil, then spliced into the bare wire before the plug.

Yes. I even found a couple female spade connectors and put them on the coil, then spliced into the bare wire before the plug.
It was running fine, then just dropped a cylinder like something burned out. I'm wondering if the ECM lost the ground cycle on the signal wire. Not sure how to test for that though. Other than swap ECM.

open up the plugs that go into the coils. bet you will see a broken wire right where it crimps to the terminal. the insulation on the wire will hold it in the plug tight. took 2 sets of coils before we found this on the 09 phazer i sold to my brother. ended up legnthening the wiring about 4" and seems to have cured the issue.

open up the plugs that go into the coils. bet you will see a broken wire right where it crimps to the terminal. the insulation on the wire will hold it in the plug tight. took 2 sets of coils before we found this on the 09 phazer i sold to my brother. ended up legnthening the wiring about 4" and seems to have cured the issue.
I opened it up and looked, didn't see anything. As I said I tried splicing in before the plug and using two female spade connectors to power the coil pack. Still nothing. Thanks though!

Did you ever figure out what’s going on? I have rage with the same problem and I was told it was the ecu? I’m pulling the one off my buddys today to see if it will fix the problem

Did you ever figure out what’s going on? I have rage with the same problem and I was told it was the ecu? I’m pulling the one off my buddys today to see if it will fix the problem
I changed the ecu, and that fixed it. Put a couple hours of ride time on it and now it's #2 cyl. That has no fire. I put a used ecu on it, so now I'm going to try a new one.

Are you using the stock OEM ignition coils? The main cause of ECU failures on these models is the incorrect coils, I've seen it first hand. One time was using the coils from RX-1 and another time was using aftermarket.

Back