• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Vector will not start.

Miata Mike

Extreme
I had it started in December and left it run for maybe 10 minutes. A week or so ago it would not start, so I left it sit on a battery minder until I went back up to the cabin. I actually got it to start for maybe 10 seconds with the choke all the way off, so I slowly started to add some choke to bring up the RPM's. Was running good and quit. No start no matter what after that, no way no how.

I talked to a mechanic yesterday and he said it was more than likely flooded and the plugs were fouled. Today I changed the plugs.

I turned the choke off and cranked for less than 10 seconds. Second try I gave it full choke and it immediately started to fire but not quite start. On the fourth or fifth try it gave me a small back fire sound and it seems to be locked up.

What the heck just happened or what did I do wrong? I put it back together and closed up the trailer. I had to walk away and collect my thoughts. :o|

Before starting the sled, have it at full choke, don't add it as you're cranking.

Irv, I am pretty sure I closed the choke before cranking, but will keep that in mind.

A coworker seemed to think maybe the backfire caught the starter at an awkward moment and that turning the clutch backwards might disengage the "stuck starter".

I'm not too sure about that theory, but it will be something I may try later. Any other thoughts?

sounds like the same symptoms that my buddy had with his 08 vector at the beginning of the year. he was able to get it started for the first bit and could even ride it but had to have choke half on. but then shortly after would not start. it was plugged/dirty carbs. had them cleaned and ran perfect again. I would clean carbs

Sledhead_BR said:
sounds like the same symptoms that my buddy had with his 08 vector at the beginning of the year. he was able to get it started for the first bit and could even ride it but had to have choke half on. but then shortly after would not start. it was plugged/dirty carbs. had them cleaned and ran perfect again. I would clean carbs

Sea-Foam, Sea-Foam, Sea-Foam, add a bit (200ml) to every tank and add a half a can to full tank of gas at the end of the season, run it through 10-15 minutes or go for a ride.

At the start of the season, I also add 1/2 can to a full tank of gas.
It has been years, since I have used the stuff, that I have had to clean my carbs. (08 Vector and 95 XLT SP)

Nothing like working 12 hours and coming home to a snow storm to work on a sled in a trailer in the driveway. I turned the front of the clutch around and the motor isn't locked up.

Starter turned the motor around maybe a half turn before stopping. The battery seemed to have a pretty good charge before the other nights "small back fire".

I wonder if I need to charge the battery now. Grrrr. Maybe a jump from a spare Harley battery? This is not the weather to be messing with something like this. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if your engine is flooded. Take your plugs out & look inside, see if you can see gas.

Between December & a week ago have you travelled with your trailer? if so did you fill your gas tank up? Point I'm getting at is if you fill your gas tank too high & travel with it you may get gas flowing into your cylinders.

At the time, the sled never left the garage and the gas tank had less than 5 fresh gallons of gas. When I had the plugs out, I never thought to look down into the cylinders. Plugs looked sooty and wet.

I brought it to the dealer up by the cabin. I will report what he finds.

As mentioned above, remove the carbs and pull the float bowls. I'm going to guess that one or more floats are sticking and flooding the engine. Also, remove the pilot / main jets and clean thoroughly. Crank the engine a few times before you re-install the carbs and spark plugs to purge the excess fuel. Make sure to adjust proper slack in the throttle cable during reassembly.

I just got a call from the Yamaha dealer and it was a bad battery that killed it in the end.

Seems I crossed 2 plug wires for my final no start. I took all three plugs out and laid them out in such a way that I couldn't mess up while I went to the store to get the new NGK's. I crossed the left two. Grrrrrr. :o|

I have never taken more than one plug out of anything before without replacing and moving on to the next.

Kind of amazing how the battery was so good and crapped out like right now. Thank you for your replies! :sled1:

Back