• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex - Cranks and Fires but No Start

matpoh

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT
I have a troubling issue with a 2011 Apex XTX and was looking for some advice.

First thing in the morning, sled turns over and attempts to fire but sputters and won't actually start. Temp was cold (-20F) and eventually the battery died. We tried to jump it with a vehicle and same thing. Close to running but just sputters as it fires and over and over. We drug it onto a trailer and took it home to heated shop. Next morning, once all ice buildup melted and it was warm, same thing.
Plenty of fuel
I can hear the fuel pump prime (eliminate starter relay)
Battery is good...even used another battery.
Never saw an engine error code but I didn't necessarily look for it the next morning when warm.
A few weeks back, I did have an issue with a loose connection at the key switch but a redneck fix solved that problem and I don't think they are related.

Ideas/Suggestions?

When's the last time that you changed/inspected the spark plugs. I've seen cases where the plug caps get that white corrosion and barely fire, or do not fire.
Pull all the caps and inspect for the dreaded white corrosion. And may as well clean/replace the caps/plugs if they haven't been replaced in several years.

x3. replace the plugs. any time it stutters and does not start, usually the plugs need to be replaced. had a no start on my 16 at -25 c but i did get it running well as i have block heaters on both my apex. have not used the one on the 11 yet.

My 2016 Yamaha apex is hard starting once it’s warm once you give it a bit of gas it fire right up any ideas

x3. replace the plugs. any time it stutters and does not start, usually the plugs need to be replaced. had a no start on my 16 at -25 c but i did get it running well as i have block heaters on both my apex. have not used the one on the 11 yet.
Do you know what a hard start when warm could possibly mean?

never had that but i have had the sled shut down from the fuel being too hot from extended slow driving.

throw a new set of plugs into it as it might have been flooded at one point. they need to run every time they are started until the warm up light goes out at minimum. best is to run it until the coolers are warm to the touch to prevent plug fouling.

Back