• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex XTX 144 Max Stud Length

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX LE
Sled is supercharged with headshim running an 11psi pulley setup. I'm coming off of a Sidewinder that had a ripsaw 2 1.25 with 180 1.575 Triggers (4 per bar) . I ran the Apex at the end of last season and love it but with it's current ripsaw 1 1.25 and 1.375 trail studs hookup off the line is non-existent . Roll into this thing at 60MPH + and IDK if its the extra cylinder or the gearing but I think it'd pull my previous 290 Sidewinder. I'm looking to go 3 or 4 triggers per bar on this Apex but want to know my length limit here (trail use of course).

I was planning on going with the ripsaw 2 again as I found it to be a very strong track with no pull throughs in 5000miles.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

might want to look at the composit as i do not see a ripsaw II that fits that sled.

might want to look at the composit as i do not see a ripsaw II that fits that sled.
ooof - good catch, hadn't even thought about the ripsaw 2 not being available for the 144. I'm not seeing it - is this composit you speak of made by camoplast as well? Do you have any idea what the max stud length is on these xtx's?

I wonder if that Composit track for the 144" is a single or double ply and how it would hold up to being cut to 1" and SPEED??!!!

no clue myself as i am a trail rider/bush wacker.

I wonder if that Composit track for the 144" is a single or double ply and how it would hold up to being cut to 1" and SPEED??!!!
2 ply

Bump - @mbarryracing (saw an older thread with a picture of your apex that looked like it had 1.575's in it. What is the max length I can run on this 2011 XTX with an 1.25 track. It has the factory tunnel protectors - i'd ideally like to get a 1.575 under or a 1.450 at a minimum....hookup with the current 3 per bar up the middle and this supercharger is non-existent.

I pulled the exchanger protectors in the tunnel and up front when I installed the 1.6" Ice Cobra. I have not seen any scratches from contact so far. I probably could have gotten away with leaving them in. But at this time, there has been no contact.

I'm sitting at around 4500 miles on this track.

Good luck,

T
I pulled the exchanger protectors in the tunnel and up front when I installed the 1.6" Ice Cobra. I have not seen any scratches from contact so far. I probably could have gotten away with leaving them in. But at this time, there has been no contact.

I'm sitting at around 4500 miles on this track.

Good luck,

Thanks a lot for the quick response - were your protectors welded in to the tunnel? I have not installed protectors on an Apex but the ones on this XTX are welded at the front of the tunnel where the track goes around the drivecogs. It also appears to be welded at the back and at certain points along the whole length of the tunnel. If you can run a 1.6 inch track with no contact I think I should be OK with a 1.450 stud - will wait for a couple others to chime in but this leaves me optimistic.

T

Thanks a lot for the quick response - were your protectors welded in to the tunnel? I have not installed protectors on an Apex but the ones on this XTX are welded at the front of the tunnel where the track goes around the drivecogs. It also appears to be welded at the back and at certain points along the whole length of the tunnel. If you can run a 1.6 inch track with no contact I think I should be OK with a 1.450 stud - will wait for a couple others to chime in but this leaves me optimistic.
I have 1.450 studs in my 12 Apex xtx with no problems.

T

I would agree with that, you should be good to go. The front one is welded, so you have to get creative with a dremel as there is hardly room for a full sized grinder. And you don't want to rip into that front exchanger. The rears are all bolted in and stupid easy to take out. Mine are fully in tact, so I could bolt them back in if needed. Those front ones will never go back in.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Tunnel.png
    Tunnel.png
    625.2 KB · Views: 96
I have 1.450 studs in my 12 Apex xtx with no problems.

Do you have your original tunnel protectors in as the only form of protection? Any added protectors? How many studs and any on the outside? I'm thinking 4 per bar like I ran on my sidewinder but on this 144 will work out to be 228 studs. 1.450 woody's triggers likely.

I would agree with that, you should be good to go. The front one is welded, so you have to get creative with a dremel as there is hardly room for a full sized grinder. And you don't want to rip into that front exchanger. The rears are all bolted in and stupid easy to take out. Mine are fully in tact, so I could bolt them back in if needed. Those front ones will never go back in.

Good luck!

Ah ok - makes sense - going off memory - could be just the front protector is welded. I had intended on leaving them in and running the 1.450 studs thinking if I were to bottom it would prevent gouging the heat exchanger.

Ah ok - makes sense - going off memory - could be just the front protector is welded. I had intended on leaving them in and running the 1.450 studs thinking if I were to bottom it would prevent gouging the heat exchanger.

Bottoming would risk damage in the back. Heavy breaking is when it would hit up front. Many don't realize the track may balloon up near the front exchanger when hit nab the brakes hard. All that rotating mass can clip the exchanger. I don't have a ding up there yet, so I'm good. But when I measured, I probably could have left the tunnel protectors in, but it would have been very tight up front.

Back