• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 viper with possible engine damage??? Looking for advice

Viper_xtx

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 sr viper xtx
Hey I’m hoping I can get help on this. Here’s the details. I bought a 2014 viper off a good buddy with an issue. He said it leaks oil out of the exhaust.
It’s a 2014 viper xtx and has a nytro motor in it with a mcx 270 turbo.
The background
He started it and went inside to get dressed while it idled outside. When he came out after about 15 mins he said red light on the display and the immediately turned it off then added some oil. (Idk how much). After that it was started and drove to the backyard and parked as he felt the engine was gone and needed to be rebuilt.
I bought it from him and pulled it into the garage today. I started it and idled for anout 20 secs then i. shut it off. Seemed to run ok.

I’m very handy and mechanical but have never worked on a 4 stroke Yamaha before so my question is what do I check or do to see if In fact the engine is no good or if it’s something I can fix. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks so much!!!

If you're lucky it could just be a head gasket.
That could easily happen if it was overboosted at any point.

Check rod bearings and cam bearing surfaces for scoring. Or if it’s working good now run it and see if anything flies out the block. Might have just got hot from idling so long.

Thanks so much for your help. I have a friend who is going to lend me a compression tester and check compression in each cylinder to see if there is any major changes between them. I'm also going to check the oil level and coolant level to see if there is any liquid going from one to the other or not. Then if all that seems ok I was thinking of running it and see what it does or if I get any oil in fact out of the exhaust. Id like to not rip it all apart at first in case it was something else but will do so if it comes to it. I really appreciate this place and the feedback as I am new to working on these.

Also it has and MCX turbo but I live far north in Manitoba and where do I buy a new turbo sock (the mesh thing over the turbo cone) as this one doesn't have anymore (it was robbed off after the sled was parked) and a strap for the suspension. Apparently there's supposed to be two but again it was taken off for one of his other sleds after it was parked.

I have a leisure shop here but they wont stock anything like that so I'm guessing online but where's a good website to buy this kind of stuff??

Thanks so much!!

Thanks so much for your help. I have a friend who is going to lend me a compression tester and check compression in each cylinder to see if there is any major changes between them. I'm also going to check the oil level and coolant level to see if there is any liquid going from one to the other or not. Then if all that seems ok I was thinking of running it and see what it does or if I get any oil in fact out of the exhaust. Id like to not rip it all apart at first in case it was something else but will do so if it comes to it. I really appreciate this place and the feedback as I am new to working on these.

Also it has and MCX turbo but I live far north in Manitoba and where do I buy a new turbo sock (the mesh thing over the turbo cone) as this one doesn't have anymore (it was robbed off after the sled was parked) and a strap for the suspension. Apparently there's supposed to be two but again it was taken off for one of his other sleds after it was parked.

I have a leisure shop here but they wont stock anything like that so I'm guessing online but where's a good website to buy this kind of stuff??

Thanks so much!!
Do a leak-down test. That will tell you more than a compression test.

check the turbo as a seal could have failed.

Ok I’ll be working on it in the evenings this week as much as I can and I’ll keep u guys updated. Is there a thread that can point me in the direction of how to do a leak down test?

A leak down test is great for determining why you are loosing compression but does not tell you if you have low compression. I would start with the compression test. If you have an issue Then perform a leak down test to try and determine what the cause is. If compression is good no need for the leak down test. Like MAIM said check for oil leaking from the turbo seals. If that much oil was coming from one of the cylinders it should have a bad engine miss from an oil fouled plug. Turbo seal leaking it would most likely not cause a miss if it’s coming out the exhaust side of the turbo.

Here is a list of the sites preferred vendors. Port Yamaha can provide OEM parts, but not sure where you would get the turbo parts. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Thanks so much guys. Ya i'm hoping the engine is ok and I can just look towards the turbo seal possibly leaking when it idled for me it sounded good and it started right up without any issue either. I got the sled at a really good price and I just hope that the culprit isn't a whole new engine. I'll be looking at it more tonight and tomorrow and I'm learning there isn't any room in those things so I'm going to attempt to remove the gas tank to gain access to the spark plugs for the compression test. I will post the results soon as I have them.

This may sound like a dumb question and if it is I apologize but it is a nytro engine that is in a viper sled. I am looking online everywhere and on this forum for where to check the engine oil level and to inspect the oil as my first check. From what I can tell for the viper there is the crankcase oil level which I believe will be where I check the engine oil level for this motor even tho it is a nytro motor in it. The little sight glass is full and there is no dipstick so I assume that is the proper oil level. However I noticed on top of the nytro motor there is what I think is an oil level fill plug by the spark plug. Is this correct??

the one on the valve cover is for when you rebuild the engine but i have heard of guys putting in around 1/2 a liter when doing an oil change.

Take a bunch of pictures of the motor with hood and panels off,turbo area as well,and post them. A picture is worth a thousand words sometimes.

Back