• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 900 expedition widetrack vs 2011 vk professional

dixopr

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
VK pro 11
Nytro mtx 08
Just a very quick comparison between the two machines. I just picked up the vk and a friend just got the expedition. We drove both home from one town over about 160km of rough trail and had small chance to compare the two. First off the expedition starts way better than the vk, probably better than my nytro as well. Temperature were cold -25C. Next the expedition seating position is basically over the skid, the vk you sit mid skid. The VK feels heavy, specs say 100lbs more, the ride is different more traditional than rider forward. The seat is wider and you straddle the machine. Kinda like cruising in a lazy boy. The VK is warmer, except my right foot was getting a little cold, not much heat off the machine.
The storage space bellow the seat is amazing, because the exhaust travels under it, your stuff stays warm. I had a 2004 scandic 550 widetrack and really loved the big compartment under the seat, this one is smaller but the heat is amazing. Pretty cool putting your lunch or gloves in it and not eating a frozen sandwich or putting on cold gloves.
Performance, the 900 was snappy and would lift the front skis off the line. It had a much sportier feeling than the vk, not as sporty as my nytro but a happy mix of touring, work and fun. Throttle response was better and track hookup seemed better. My experience with FI sleds is that throttle response is always better than carbed. The VK feels like a grandpas big car, slow to take off but once going you start being pulled back in your seat. The VK has way more top end juice than the 900 and flies at speed. Mine needs a new belt too so I would expect a little better performance once installed but not much. I'll check them both out over the course of the winter and be able to give an update. I expect the 900 to be a better fresh snow performer and the vk to take the cake at pulling big loads on established trails but we'll see.
First impression is the VK fits my need for a work sled, my nytro is a better play sled. The expo would be a better one sled system. I burned 28L of fuel, not sure what the expo burned, but less than me.

Thanks for the comparison I've had my 2014 vk for two full seasons and I think it's a great sled, the only small issue I have is that Yamaha could widen the ski stance a little. I widened mine by putting the ski spacers on the inside of the ski and that may have given me an extra inch but every little bit helps. Look forward to hearing an update!

My only update is this thing side hills like trash but pulls like a horse. My last widetrack was a 550 scandic, loved that machine but it was terrible on fuel and burnt pistons. Hauling a full load of wood the VK doesn't even notice, amazing really. Also fuel economy is pretty darn good. I don't do much high speed riding, conditions are never good for that but I'm really impressed with how good this machine runs.

Any tips on getting this pig to lay over a little to side hill. I have ski skins, think that doesn't help.

Well not much to report on the expo, my brother in law has been using it steady for work. Not sure how many miles but probably 3000km or so. Second gear is out, not sure what the problem is and has to run it in first. The one comment on the expo is that it starts everyday without help -37C for a week and it was running without issue. The vk on the other hand is hard to start below -25C for me anyways, I will change the plugs and see if that helps. Once running though, it is amazing. I love it. I have ski skins on it and run a fair bit of cat lines, no groomed trails here.

As with all machines momentum is your friend. I really think the yamahas are built tough, my Nytro would bust willows and scrub brush no problem, you just had to do it with lots of speed. I ended up getting whipped in the face too much. The VK is a different story, have walk down willows (still need a little speed) in fresh snow. Perhaps its the type of snow we get here, cold powder no base, just layer after layer of new snow. With the nytro I would just spin my track to float, the VK can plow through and float at high speeds too. I like it so much I wish I had two, one set up with a 1.5" or 1.8" if it fits and one with ice cleats. Just add that to the dream list. :)

Expedition is out for warranty work, engine not running well and the tranny needed rebuild after 3000km of hard use. It did pull a 400L tidy tank full of fuel in a boggan many km. Only reason to buy new I guess.

The VK has not worked as hard but it is my favorite sled ever. I bought the rear truck, pulled the second seat off, it is amazing how much you can load up on this machine. It is very comfortable and rides great.

As for breaking trail and sidehilling, I have no problems with it. Just needed more snow to support the machine, I've boondocked with it, broke trail for miles, ran some good hills, pulled big loads. It does it all. Its just heavy. I can't say enough about how great these VKs are.

I've also got a 2011 VK Pro, simply love it. 10 inch ski skins, goldfinger throttle,...it's a tank!

Back