• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Yamaha RS Venture TF BAT - Clean Snow Challenge MTU

What difference does it make on the drone when the tunnel is blocked off where the exhaust goes thru. Kind of like when you roll down one window on a 4 door car and create a pressure buffeting until a second window is opened.
Have you used a noise harshness vibration analizer to pick up the frequency of the drone?
Then do the math for the rotational speed for the different size wheels, drive sprockets gears in chain case, etc and vehicle speed to pinpoint where it is coming from.

What difference does it make on the drone when the tunnel is blocked off where the exhaust goes thru. Kind of like when you roll down one window on a 4 door car and create a pressure buffeting until a second window is opened.
Have you used a noise harshness vibration analizer to pick up the frequency of the drone?
Then do the math for the rotational speed for the different size wheels, drive sprockets gears in chain case, etc and vehicle speed to pinpoint where it is coming from.

The TF uses a chassis that was made for 4 exhaust ports...on mine the 4th hole at the far end of the tunnel is blocked off with a blank, are you suggesting opening that 4 hole and removing the blank?
You are correct on the window sound, it's very much like the pressure from an open window and it corrects when air flow is established though another open window. I thought as it was posted on this site from the Michigan engineers that porting the track would solve the problem of the drone..I do not have a noise harshness vibration analyzer, I have tried to read about harmonic resonance but its way too technical for a guy who is very challenged in physics...so, I was kinda hoping someone would give me the answers to the drone...so far it's been suggested porting the track, changing the wheels ( which I intend to do), remove unneeded shells and change slides..oh and live with it or sell the sled. I thought I was pretty slick buying a machine with 32 miles on it for $7k..slick indeed, I bought someone else problem unknowingly..so, with limited funds I got the machine I got... just looking for a fix.
I do like the ride and power steering...its just the drone between 31-38mph...any help welcomed. Joe

I was hoping the crew at Michigan tech would chime in on my questions.

yes, I was hoping for the same thing lol...I can't believe Yamaha would continually put out a product with the same defect year after year...baffles me actually...not so sure I'd go this route again..I got a 2 up for obvious reasons but if I were to get a single sled I would look at a 137 600ACE Renegade..I'm not into speed. Joe

After reading the many complaints on here about this problem. I have wondered if changing the shape of the bogie wheels would help. My interest in this subject is because my Wife was complaining that I should have bought a Venture instead of 2 Vectors. I made her aware of this problem. About 8 years ago I bought an M10 suspension on eBay for my modified Cat. Turned out the seller was David Karpick from Team Fast. I personally picked it up from him. It was a 136 inch. He told me it came from a Blade Snowmobile. Anyway the upper bogie wheels on the rear arm were shaped like a Girl Scout Shortbread cookie. Or scalloped might describe it. Sorry but I have never posted pictures on here or I would gladly snap a picture of one. So I assume the idea was for the track bars to drop into the depressions on the bogie wheel reducing noise and vibration. Of course they would have to be made according to the track pitch 2.52 or 2.86 etc.

MTU engineering students who worked on the RS VENTURE TF, can you please answer the question on your experience on porting the track, specifically did porting weaken the track so much that failure happened or does porting significantly weaken the track. I surmise that you were just looking at reducing noise of the sled...was noise reduction reached at the cost of the integrity of the sled/track? I certainly would not port my track if I knew it would destroy my sled and leave me stranded out on the trails. A bit more clarification would be helpful. Joe

MTU engineering students who worked on the RS VENTURE TF, can you please answer the question on your experience on porting the track, specifically did porting weaken the track so much that failure happened or does porting significantly weaken the track. I surmise that you were just looking at reducing noise of the sled...was noise reduction reached at the cost of the integrity of the sled/track? I certainly would not port my track if I knew it would destroy my sled and leave me stranded out on the trails. A bit more clarification would be helpful. Joe

I would search track porting. It used to be advertised. By some track sellers. Their idea was for mountain riders to reduce weight. The Idea was less weight. Because the snow would fall out. Or spin out. Instead of collecting. In the rear of the sled. Not sure why it is not advertised now. But if it solves your problem could be well worth it. Do not blame you for your concern. But sometimes you have to think outside of the box. Good Luck!

Congratulations on taking first place in the snowmobile challenge.
How did you her rid of the track drone?

I got rid of my track drone by getting rid of the sled and got a sidewinder...no more drone

lol...thanks..the rs venture tf was a nice sled but under 40mph the noise was a bit too much for me...over 40mph is was a very sweet sled. The Sidewinder 2up is unbelievable...very very happy with my choice.

I ported my track on the venture..there was no differance in the drone..my guess is the windshield is so big it creates a pressure zone...when my wife would ride it she would notice the drone, when she rode in the back she Sid it wasn't an issue...go figure that one out...only thing I can think of is it might be a pressure thing around the drivers area...I just gave up.

I checked out the facebook picture of the engineering MTU team..the Yamaha Venture"s windshield does not look stock..the one I had on my sled seemed taller...I could be wrong but they do look different...in fact they are different, just looked at an old photo of my RS Venture TF. Like I said, the windshield may amplify the drone...

great wheel looks bigger too.

Back