• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 sidewinder or viper

Hands down the Sidewinder is much better in every way, still though, not saying the Viper is not, but the Sidewinder has so much more to offer.
Just saying.

Good work bud. sounds like you're going with the viper. I doubt you will be disappointed. Post pics!!!

What sled did you own b4?

Don't forget to make sure your buds check their oil Reservoir on any trips. And remind your buds how much their sleds smell. Lol!

I have a friend with a Cat 7000 which is the same as the Viper. It amazing how slow that machine is. Its a 600 class sled at best.

I'd go get a Ski-Doo 1200 if you're not going to do a Sidewinder class machine. If you mod a 1200 it will compete and outrun the 800 and 850 if your good at tuning it. The 1200 Doo will stand up much better over time too than the Cat chassis.

One issue with the Viper that is almost laughable over the years is its Cat programed ignition. The damn thing doesn't ever like to start. The winder runs like a Yamaha should, the viper, not so much.

Last edited:
Said no one, ever. LOL
It,s not just about the speed, but the extra power, thru-out the complete powerband.
Too much, is just enough. You don,t always have to use it, but it is nice to have, just in case your buddies, who are riding other brands, start getting to cocky. LOL

I think im going to go with the viper because i wont ever need that kind of speed

If you’re going riding in Maine and your friends are on 850s and 800s and you’re on a Viper, you better say goodbye to them when you first head out because it will be the last time you see them. I doubt you’re traveling to ride southern Maine, so if you’re going to the more popular riding areas north the Viper doesn’t have the speed to run with those sleds

Let's back up here for a second. You asked us Viper or Sidewinder correct?

1. Are you definitely buying a 4-stroke? If yes see question 2
2. Are you definitely buying a Yamaha? If yes see question 3. If no buy a 1200 Ski-Doo
3. Is money an issue? If yes buy Viper. If no buy Sidewinder
4 Does getting spanked on the trail effect your manhood? If yes buy Sidewinder. If no..............you're a better man than me

Viper or Sidewinder? The speed limit in New Hampshire is 45 MPH. So do you need the power of the Sidewinder? Probably not. I have a 14 Viper. Nice sled. Plenty fast enough for the NH trail speed.
My son was looking for a used Viper. I sold him the Viper and purchased a leftover Sidewinder. Do I need it. Heck no but is sure nice to know you have all that HP when you want it.
I suggest purchasing the Sidewinder. You will be able to use it any place you ride. If you go to Maine on those big trails you will be glad you have the Sidewinder

Viper or Sidewinder? The speed limit in New Hampshire is 45 MPH. So do you need the power of the Sidewinder? Probably not. I have a 14 Viper. Nice sled. Plenty fast enough for the NH trail speed.
My son was looking for a used Viper. I sold him the Viper and purchased a leftover Sidewinder. Do I need it. Heck no but is sure nice to know you have all that HP when you want it.
I suggest purchasing the Sidewinder. You will be able to use it any place you ride. If you go to Maine on those big trails you will be glad you have the Sidewinder

Nice logic & choice. I think a Snoscoot may be Ok for NH speed limits. lol
But you never know when you're stopped on the edge of a field or lake & your buddy gives you the stink eye 'cuz he knows he just put in a new set of spark plugs & a new belt in that 800 twin, but you're not sure if he bought the new fandangled clutch kit, BUT do you need to worry on a 'Winder?
NO! You stay calm & collected 'cuz you know the SMACKDOWN is a comin' no matter what he did.

So basically the 'Winder is good for stress........yes it's a stress reducing vehicle!
Some people deal with stress with medical marijuana; i have a SIDEWINDER!

Based on the info given.... Viper. You will likely never use the legs a SW has and it will cost les to buy and own. Most guys buy em to say they have one.....

But you never know when you're stopped on the edge of a field or lake & your buddy gives you the stink eye 'cuz he knows he just put in a new set of spark plugs & a new belt in that 800 twin, but you're not sure if he bought the new fandangled clutch kit, BUT do you need to worry on a 'Winder?
NO! You stay calm & collected 'cuz you know the SMACKDOWN is a comin' no matter what he did.

So basically the 'Winder is good for stress........yes it's a stress reducing vehicle!
ROTFLMAO

We play double the digits in NH to run 90 wherever we can so "need the speed" and get the 'Winder - not a slower sled they won't sell 2 years from now.

Well I did not say I ride to the posted speed limits lol.. I will also ride the double digits. But fish and game sit in the woods at some of the best places to clock you on radar.

Ever been stopped for speeding? I have. They will let you know that you have been naughty. Not only do you pay the fine but you get to go to Concord for two nights to take a $100 snowmobile etiquette course.

I would get the Sidewinder. It is nice to know you have the power when you want it.

I also have an Attak. Love that sled. The Viper just doesn’t have that yank the Attak does. I know the Sidewinder will put that smile back on my face.

Good luck on your decision. Really, both sleds a going to be fun to ride.

At 5yrs old I figured out that one size shoe doesn't fit all. You should have seen me the first day at school! Nuts!!!

Hell I use both methods.....

Back