• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 updates

What a bunch of first world problems lol. My dealer sold 20-22 sidewinders last year An none blew a belt. Roller issues and turbo heat shield issues have been taken care of. And there's clutch noise. Really? The clutches are essentially the same as they were 30 years ago. That technology can't be improved on by leaps and bounds currently. So how about I put it in perspective. It sounds same as me saying my $70,000 trucks windshield wiper leaves a streak after only 6 months, so for $70k they should have wipers that last forever, that's just unacceptable lol.

There will probably be updates and yammy will probably not mention any because then people who aren't even having an issue or just want new calibrations will bitch about it and demand warrenty. We already know they have new rolllers our and belts seem like a small group.
It's thinking like that that keeps manufacturers in the black.

No. A $16,000 sled should NOT blow 2 belts in 800 miles. A $16,000 sled should NOT have clutch issues.

I'll tell you, if my $70,000 SUV had issues in the first 1,000 miles of it's life with me, I would not find that acceptable in any way.

I've owned Yamaha sleds (all new) since 1996. Never another brand. I have to say, this sled is the most impressive, and also the most disappointing, Yamaha in my life.

It's thinking like that that keeps manufacturers in the black.

No. A $16,000 sled should NOT blow 2 belts in 800 miles. A $16,000 sled should NOT have clutch issues.

I'll tell you, if my $70,000 SUV had issues in the first 1,000 miles of it's life with me, I would not find that acceptable in any way.

I've owned Yamaha sleds (all new) since 1996. Never another brand. I have to say, this sled is the most impressive, and also the most disappointing, Yamaha in my life.

Unfortunately, many first year sleds(and vehicles as well) have these issues. I bought a 14 GMC Sierra Denali(it was a first year new model), and had nothing but irritating problems with it!! Traded it in for a 15, and problems were all solved for the second model year. Shouldn't be that way, but many times it is unfortunately. I'm sure Yamaha will address many of these problems on the new 18's(and provide updates to the guys who have 17's), if they value their customer base??

Unfortunately, many first year sleds(and vehicles as well) have these issues. I bought a 14 GMC Sierra Denali(it was a first year new model), and had nothing but irritating problems with it!! Traded it in for a 15, and problems were all solved for the second model year. Shouldn't be that way, but many times it is unfortunately. I'm sure Yamaha will address many of these problems on the new 18's(and provide updates to the guys who have 17's), if they value their customer base??

I think this is the tricky part on how Yamie might handle it. Probably a fine line on "updating" a part that can be still considered acceptable, or updating a part that can be considered "defective". I'm guessing the supplier would cover the cost on the defective parts, where I'm guessing Yamie would cover the cost on a better engineered part. That said, 17 buyers would be looking for compensation on defective parts, and on the other hand, dealers will be looking for money on "updated" parts. That fine line is yet to be drawn I guessing, which is probably why we will not hear of some secret updates that will make its way into the 18s.

Dan

IMO, I think the SW is a great sled but I know I would not be happy with the seemingly little things that are posted....some I would say are not so little like belt issues and the rollers going flat, they have been making this stuff for many years now ! Some running problems I take with a grain of salt because of all the "tinkering" going on out there. That is why there is no way I will fork out 16K for a sled and I dont care if its a Yamaha. A 16K sled should not have "small" things we see going wrong with them, some of it is not so small ! Unacceptable at this level and price!

Any post equating the price of a sled, or anything else for that matter, to wether or not it should or would have any problems is simply unrealistic and just silly. The Winder is a remarkable machine with loads of tech including plenty of new stuff and the list of its foibles is incredibly small. I rode the piss out of my sled culminating in a cross country race and the only thing my sled needed was an oil change and lost a Turbo bolt because of an ill-defined assembly process.

Any post equating the price of a sled, or anything else for that matter, to wether or not it should or would have any problems is simply unrealistic and just silly. The Winder is a remarkable machine with loads of tech including plenty of new stuff and the list of its foibles is incredibly small. I rode the piss out of my sled culminating in a cross country race and the only thing my sled needed was an oil change and lost a Turbo bolt because of an ill-defined assembly process.
Thats great!

lol that's too funny!! Get out and walk him..it'll be good for both of you!!

I see you're from Maine. I do my riding in the Northern part of the "County"(St agatha, Sinclair, Madawaska, Fort Kent...etc etc!!). Buying my 18 Sidewinder in Caribou. Love it up there..it's a special place imo!!
John at Gary,s has had a lot of my busness over the years,next time you see him,tell him,pete (snowbeast) has his SW ready,so tell him to bring something w/big HP to our ride from his shop to Dinner,in St Agat!lol he will know what and where I mean...he he.and tell him to bring a heated shield,man it sucks when we stop and look at johns glass,s and they are completely froze over,and he was just tagging you on your #*$&@ end at 100 plus at night in light drizzle,but freezing on everything..

It's not the thinking of things that cost money, no matter what the price should be, doesn't need to be perfect. It's the small things that are or can simply be addressed that I'm sure they have an will change the rollers. And let's be honest aside from the handful on this site. I've not actually met a single person who has actually blown a single belt. And the number of people on here saying they blew a belt are probably the majority of the people that blew belts. Meaning there are thousands out there that haven't blown belts and maybe a cpl dozen that have. Flat spotting rollers is a issue that shouldn't happen but it's new part and it's simple fix and part of a first year product. Growing pains if you will. I'm not ignorant and ignoring issues I'm just realistic and not gonna bash a company over spilled milk. We're not talking broken chassis like skidoo or blown motors like skidoo or broken clutches like some cats. As I've said these are some real first world issues. Let's keep in mind that when your whining, that at end of day you were able to purchase a $16,000 toy and play with it all winter long for 1000+\- miles and aside from maybe having to stop and put a belt on it once or replace a set of rollers once you had a blast and did it with a smile on your face with your buddy's.

Last edited:
It's not the thinking of things that cost money no matter what the price should be doesn't need to be perfect. It's the small things that are or can simply be addressed that I'm sure they have an will change the rollers. And let's be honest aside from the handful on this site. I've not actually met a single person who has actually blown a single belt. And the number of people on here saying they blew a belt are probably the majority of the people that blew belts. Meaning there are thousands out there that haven't blown belts and maybe a cpl dozen that have. Flat spotting rollers is a issue that shouldn't happen but it's new part and it's simple fix and part of a first year product. Growing pains if you will. I'm not ignorant and ignoring issues I'm just realistic and not gonna bash a company over spilled milk. We're not talking broken chassis like skidoo or blown motors like skidoo or broken clutches like some cats. As I've said these are some real first world issues. Let's keep in mind that when your whining, that at end of day you were able to purchase a $16,000 toy and play with it all winter long for 1000+\- miles and aside from maybe having to stop and put a belt on it once or replace a set of rollers once you had a blast and did it with a smile on your face with your buddy's.
You nailed it!

It's not the thinking of things that cost money, no matter what the price should be, doesn't need to be perfect. It's the small things that are or can simply be addressed that I'm sure they have an will change the rollers. And let's be honest aside from the handful on this site. I've not actually met a single person who has actually blown a single belt. And the number of people on here saying they blew a belt are probably the majority of the people that blew belts. Meaning there are thousands out there that haven't blown belts and maybe a cpl dozen that have. Flat spotting rollers is a issue that shouldn't happen but it's new part and it's simple fix and part of a first year product. Growing pains if you will. I'm not ignorant and ignoring issues I'm just realistic and not gonna bash a company over spilled milk. We're not talking broken chassis like skidoo or blown motors like skidoo or broken clutches like some cats. As I've said these are some real first world issues. Let's keep in mind that when your whining, that at end of day you were able to purchase a $16,000 toy and play with it all winter long for 1000+\- miles and aside from maybe having to stop and put a belt on it once or replace a set of rollers once you had a blast and did it with a smile on your face with your buddy's.

I agree, not all are blowing belts, but for the ones who are shouldn't we be vocal ? I mean these sled problems do not repair themselves. They must be reported and checked out to find the root of the problem. Blown belts = damage to sled components in most cases. So if and when you buy a Sidewinder, I hope yours is trouble free and has received the few updates that many are hoping for. And if you do, it shall be thanks to those of us that have posted the known problems and their repair!

No whining or crying over spilled milk here, just stating facts. The winder is an outstanding sled with a HI Tech TURBO engine and the LE package just plain rocks.

OF course, the 2017 can use a few updates without making First World Issues about them. Just bring the probs to the dealer for repair when you have time, maybe they will give you some cheese to go along with your whine.lol

Def feel if people are having enough of an issue they should inform dealer and post on here asking if others share the problem. The only issue is that because the other 99% are out riding and having fun it looks like everyone is having that issue and no one is keeping belts on them. The rollers are an issue, and personally I'm almost thinking that if they flat spot it may flex clutch a bit and heat it up more and that may be why belts are blowing.

Also my sidewinder is On order and I truely hope it is trouble free aswell. But if it needs a set of rollers mid season or belt blows like they have for years I'll replace and go on. If they consistently blow every week or 2 then I'll make noise. I do however hope that the rollers are addressed as that's known and even a warrenty item at the moment, and not sure what other issues they may have aside from that.

Def feel if people are having enough of an issue they should inform dealer and post on here asking if others share the problem. The only issue is that because the other 99% are out riding and having fun it looks like everyone is having that issue and no one is keeping belts on them. The rollers are an issue, and personally I'm almost thinking that if they flat spot it may flex clutch a bit and heat it up more and that may be why belts are blowing.

Also my sidewinder is On order and I truely hope it is trouble free aswell. But if it needs a set of rollers mid season or belt blows like they have for years I'll replace and go on. If they consistently blow every week or 2 then I'll make noise. I do however hope that the rollers are addressed as that's known and even a warrenty item at the moment, and not sure what other issues they may have aside from that.
Hey hey, glad to hear that you have one on order.
Just a few issues besides the rollers, but they all have some and none are perfect until one finishes their own upgrades.
I had real bad MPG, dealer repaired that by changing out the fuel pressure regulator, he also went good for 1 belt and the rollers. I can now get 15 mpg as long as I stay out of it, could not do that before.
GOOD DEALER...

Anyways, I hope you get a good one!!

Gonna be a long Summer waiting for that new sled huh?

Yep. I'm miserable already. And dealer is the key to any purchase. That's why I laugh at people driving a cpl states away to save a few hundred of theybhave a great dealer near them. Support your local dealer or your dealer local to where you ride. A great relationship with them will make your winters so much smoother.

Thats just silly....

They are still riding on the lake (Long Lake-St Agatha) as of today. Facebook post shows a guy going across the lake on his sled. He was going to ride the home made rotating ice circle, powered by an outboard! Lol.

I contacted Yamaha a couple of weeks ago because of a rear bumper ( paint runs) I have been waiting for since I picked up my sled this past October. My second call to them this year, and it did come in finally!

I gave them my 2 cents worth concerning clutching and skis. They were not aware of any updates, but then again, they just let you speak and would not step on dealers toes with any update info!!!
I live in washburn right off the rr bed,do service work for sears,went by eagle lake today,ice is looking soft,too bad its over but cant wait for next season,18 sw 137 on order,gonna be hard to step off my 06 apex and ride new sled but think I can adapt,apex will be ready just in case tho

Back