• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 Sidewinder X-TX

Sleder44

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
2015 Viper MTX 162
1994 Vmax-4- (Asphalt Sled)
Hey Guys,

Just put a down payment on a brand new 2020 XTX yesterday. :D Coming off a 2017 XTX that I bought used in January. Learned my lesson on buying other peoples crap with that one. :o|

Anyhow, I've been on here reading all day trying to find out if any of the known issues with the early model years were taken care of on the '20's. I found some answers, but most threads I found seem to be Pre 2020, maybe that's a good thing... Particularly are the issues with the driveshaft bearing still coming up on the '20 models? Also are the exhaust bolts still the same, I broke 3 of them on my '17 so I intend on taking them out and never seizing them as soon as I get the sled home. Unless someone has another trick that they have discovered?

Any info, thoughts, suggestions, recommendations or opinions are appreciated.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse with anything that's already been covered. Link to threads that I missed are appreciated to

Thanks!!!

You should look at the list of current issues and known fixes for the sidewinder on trail talk forum.‍♂️You could also check out the Barn of Parts site for a shaft saver and other upgrades,be safe

I highly doubt anything has been done to resolve the driveshaft issues as well as the upper gear bushing problems. Yamaha is no longer the reliable option unfortunately.
they learned that that reliability won’t sell your next years models. People have no clue what quality looks like anymore so selling disposable junk is profitable because the consumer thinks it’s normal for a sled to last only 6~8k miles. Just do what Yamaha wants you to and buy new every 3 years.

It’s so true, the Yamaha we are used to is gone in the history books for now, I never had a worry on my apex, nytro, sxr or even my first sled vmax 500 but I do on my sidewinder.

I have a 20 ltx gt and it has the same drive line like the 17’s. Same drive shaft bearing, same top gear bushing and same exhaust bolts. Do the recommendations that the guys on here are saying to do and you will be fine.

Congratulations on your new sled!!
Imo just do a fix to the drive shaft bearing and ride! Once you do the first service open the chaincase and check bushing then take the extra time to soak and clean off all the shavings in the chains and gears before reinstalling!! Not everyone wears out the top gear bushing!! My sled is 1 out of 5 riding buds with a tuned 988 that gets premature bushing wear.

Stainless steel bolts with high temp anti size works well for muffler bolts

Do a quick offset measurement of your clutches to make sure it s within spec.

Last edited:
On my 2020 LTX LE, I did a bunch of stuff before I rode that I feel is necessary (especially after doing it):
  • Check all bolts and clamps - mine was leaking in the trailer on the way home from the dealer (you can get to the clamp in the tunnel by taking the exhaust pipe off, you do not have to remove the gas tank) - this is where mine was leaking but all clamps were loose.
  • Put the BOP Driveshaft bearing fix on.
  • Welded the roller on the chain tensioner
  • Sealed the sight glass on the chain case
  • Put 6.9 Pilot Skis on
  • Replaced the turbo bolts with Stainless Hex and used Nickel Anti-Seize (came out easy in the fall in fact two were loose???)
  • Put some velcro material under the fuse box to prevent wires from rubbing

These are things that I did before ever riding that were not necessary (at least right away)
  • Changed the track to a Hurricane 1.75 (This was a great decision for me IMO)
  • BOP 4th wheel kit
  • BOP Cross shaft saver
  • BOP Belt Gaurd
  • Timken Belt
  • TP Belt Adjuster
  • Rouski Ski Wheels
  • Drilled out and replaced the rivets with Rivnuts in the lower right side panel (makes everything on that side super easy)
  • Put on the Medium Windshield (I tried but am too old for the factory credit card that was on there)
  • Put mirrors on
  • Put BRP Tunnel mounted Ice Scratchers on
  • Added a Ram mount for my GPS
I may have done a couple of other odds and ends but was really happy with this coming off my '17 Viper. Did an unexpected road running session late in the year so might do the Dupont slides in the fall given the wear I saw that one day. This was all related to that one trip as in snow I had no slider issues at all but am probably overly liberal with deploying the scratchers.

Congrats on the new sled!

Forgive my ignorance, where is this brake caliper assembly that's the BoP drive shaft saver is installed AND how do I get to it on a 2020 sidewinder ?
It appears (IPB) to be on the track assembly.

On my 2020 LTX LE, I did a bunch of stuff before I rode that I feel is necessary (especially after doing it):
  • Check all bolts and clamps - mine was leaking in the trailer on the way home from the dealer (you can get to the clamp in the tunnel by taking the exhaust pipe off, you do not have to remove the gas tank) - this is where mine was leaking but all clamps were loose.
  • Put 6.9 Pilot Skis on
  • Replaced the turbo bolts with Stainless Hex and used Nickel Anti-Seize (came out easy in the fall in fact two were loose???)

These are things that I did before ever riding that were not necessary (at least right away)
  • BOP 4th wheel kit
  • BOP Cross shaft saver
  • BOP Belt Gaurd
  • Timken Belt
  • TP Belt Adjuster
  • Rouski Ski Wheels
  • Drilled out and replaced the rivets with Rivnuts in the lower right side panel (makes everything on that side super easy)
  • Put on the Medium Windshield (I tried but am too old for the factory credit card that was on there)
  • Put mirrors on
I may have done a couple of other odds and ends but was really happy with this coming off my '17 Viper. Did an unexpected road running session late in the year so might do the Dupont slides in the fall given the wear I saw that one day. This was all related to that one trip as in snow I had no slider issues at all but am probably overly liberal with deploying the scratchers.

nice write up, probably exactly what I would do or close. I wouldn’t put the 1.75” track on but our trails are hard packed and crazy obviously lives in Canada where there’s much more snow and less traffic I would guess.

;)!

I second the fact bolts everywhere were loose, locktight is your friend

The 2021 's come with NO sight glass & new Stryker ski's.
They do machine the drive cogs now as i saw a new driveshaft.
The 2020's have an updated front spindle & geometry.

Other then that, go back to 2017 & start reading.

The best long term fixes are:
1. Remove brake bearing & have spray welded, turned & get better bearing. Then BOP McWedgy tool for security
2. New top gear bushing of some sort or one of those fancy new fangled gears

And...............................LOCTITE!!!!!!!!

FYI - When I rebuilt my front driveshaft (March 2020) using brand new high-quality Japanese bearings on both ends; shaft had been spray welded for interference fit to new bearings, I checked the run-out in a lathe on the used plastic drive sprockets. I was surprised how close they were. No previous work had been done on them to true them other than what the factory does. They were within .002". That's very very true for a diameter that big. So, I did not do anything and simply assembled them into the sled.

Thanks for all the insight guys, I really appreciate it... Starting to wonder if i should have held out for another year or so, figured by the 4th model year they would have it figured out... Oh well I got a fairly good deal and a 5 year warranty LOL.

Should have the sled in my possession next weekend and Ill get some of these things taken care of!

nice write up, probably exactly what I would do or close. I wouldn’t put the 1.75” track on but our trails are hard packed and crazy obviously lives in Canada where there’s much more snow and less traffic I would guess.

;)!

I second the fact bolts everywhere were loose, locktight is your friend

Thanks, the track was a great decision for me as I quite frankly need it to get from the lake up the steep slope to my house through the drifts and where I have to throw my driveway snow. 2 years ago we had a hair over 3.8 metres of snow come down here. If it was always hardpack and icy, I would have kept the stock RS2 or gone another route I think.

One thing I forgot to add to my list was the coolant hose protectors. I think they are a must as well. If you are riding in extreme cold and stop, you can get some good ice chunks in the tunnel and some have gotten stuck due to rips in the hoses. My preference is always preventative over reactionary especially since I do sometimes ride alone. I can last overnight in the bush but it is a distant second place to a cozy bed with my better half haha,

• Put 6.9 Pilot Skis on

• BOP 4th wheel kit
  • BOP Cross shaft saver
  • BOP Belt Gaurd
  • Timken Belt
  • TP Belt Adjuster
  • Rouski Ski Wheels
  • Put mirrors on

Whats the BRP ice scratchers look like?

Back