• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

22 top gear

vt black rx1

Veteran
Hi guys I have a chance to run a 22 top gear in my attak should i put it in my buddy didnt like it in his apex
Thanks for the in put guys

22 gear

i have been wondering the same thing.i am thinking i would need alot better track than i have now because i can't hook the sled up now. maybe with a cobra instead of the ripsaw.

ya but my rip saw is good cant see spending the cash untill i haft to just run on groomed trails here and the parts are free

Re: 22 gear

zeke said:
i have been wondering the same thing.i am thinking i would need alot better track than i have now because i can't hook the sled up now. maybe with a cobra instead of the ripsaw.

I am running a 22/40 gear with wahl drivers, 136 Cobra track and really like it. You will have to play with clutching. I found the new 83 gram yamaha weight works the best. Its good for about a hundred which is more than enough for my type of riding. Clutched properly, you will not lose any fuel mileage also.
Jim

stock RTX's 07-09 had 22/38 with a 68t chain. if you dont change your chain you could run into some probs. it will "jump" out of the but you will loose top end, my 40th is about 5mph faster than my RTX on top.

sherlock29 said:
stock RTX's 07-09 had 22/38 with a 68t chain. if you dont change your chain you could run into some probs. it will "jump" out of the but you will loose top end, my 40th is about 5mph faster than my RTX on top.

whats the stock top and bottom gear on the 40th?

stock on the 40th is 24/40 with a 70t chain. if you put on a smaller gear than a 23 the chain angle around the gear then to you chain tentioner gets alittle greater... this can cause some problems. ie: put alot more stress on the tentioner and chain. I've played with the the gears in both, and i love the "peppy" feeling of the RTX with the lower gearing, the corner to corner is great. i think a 22/40 would be a bit low, maybe if you were running in the mountains with a long track. Others chim in, but most on here have found that the 23/40 gear set up seems to be what works best in the 1/4 mile or 1000' speed runs. for me, i went back to the stock gearing in both, keeping the best of both worlds. just mt 2cents.

2006 RTX, ER, GT have 24/38 gearing with 70 link chain. The Attak models has 23/38 with 70 link chain.

2007 the RTX has 22/38 gearing with 68 link chain. The ER & GT have 24/38 gearing with 70 link chain. The Attak models have 23/38 with 70 link chain.

2008 the RTX has 22/38 gearing with 68 link chain. The GT has 24/38 gearing with 70 link chain. The Apex LTX models have 23/38 with 70 link chain.

2009 the RTX has 22/38 gearing with 68 link chain. The GT has 24/38 gearing with 70 link chain. The Apex LTX models have 23/38 with 70 link chain.

2010 the standard Apex & GT has 24/38 gearing with 70 link chain. The Apex LTX models have 23/38 with 70 link chain.

My 07 RTX is noticeably snappier than my fathers 07 Attak Gt. I think for corner to corner acceleration its the best setup the Apex ever came with stock.

On hard ground the 22 gear works good, in softer groomed trails, it gives up because it spins too much. At least this is my thought on my testing with my 06 Apex GT with the mono skid. The RTX uses a different skid, so I believe it transfers better. Traction is key when gearing down the 121"/mono suspension. Even with a Cobra track it still spun alot with a 22 gear. I believe 23 tooth works better for the mono and 22 for the pro-active. Now if you have an Attack/LTX, then a 22 top gear works awesome..

SledFreak said:
On hard ground the 22 gear works good, in softer groomed trails, it gives up because it spins too much. At least this is my thought on my testing with my 06 Apex GT with the mono skid. The RTX uses a different skid, so I believe it transfers better. Traction is key when gearing down the 121"/mono suspension. Even with a Cobra track it still spun alot with a 22 gear. I believe 23 tooth works better for the mono and 22 for the pro-active. Now if you have an Attack/LTX, then a 22 top gear works awesome..

This is true. I don't run studs and even with a cobra by sled is constantly spinning.

watersuper said:
Any clutching differences between the RTX and GT/ER?

All Apex models (RTX, ER, GT) use the same clutching specifications. The Attak or Apex LTX use the exact same settings except for the secondary spring is different.

Back