• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4" high density foam added to seat with (NEW) pics

otis

Expert
Well I finally bite the bullet and installed 4" of high density foam padding to my 03 seat and could not be happier. It is the foam from Joann's craft stores. I copied the Apex shape right from the dealer and when it was all done it looks exactly like the apex seat!!! The process has been described before, but I wanted to add some pics of the foam cuts and the after shots.

Otis

Attachments

• seat4.jpg
    seat4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 383
  • seat3.jpg
    seat3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 417
  • seat1.jpg
    seat1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 384
  • seat5.jpg
    seat5.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 385
  • seat2.jpg
    seat2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 398
  • seat9.jpg
    seat9.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 393
  • seat8.jpg
    seat8.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 396
  • seat7.jpg
    seat7.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 392
  • seat6.jpg
    seat6.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 388

Did you use the same skin or did you get another pice sewed into it?

Original cover only!!!

No, I used the original 03 cover without alteration. It's amazing actually, because when I was done, I pulled the cover in more than before from the staple marks.

I used 3M #90 spray adhesive to hold the foam down to shape it correctly and keep the edges neatly tucked in. I sat on the seat when it was upside down and that allowed me to pull the edges in enough to staple it. BTW, the stapler you use is the key.

At first mine didn't seem strong enough to put the staples thru the hard plastic of the base, but even firm pressure of the stapler against the plastic worked best. Many of the staples wanted to deflect instead of penetrate. I also used one of those backwards staplers (ergonomically correct) which was more powerful than my old one. Others have suggested an electric one which would also work well.

I hope these pictures help anyone else who is interested. I am really impressed how easy it was. Under 2 hours of work from start to finish. The result is a much plusher seat and higher seating position that makes the stock handlebar position seem too low. I moved mine forward several inches raising them. I had to break the limiting rivet on the handlebars to get them forward and high enough.

I think anyone who does this upgrade will be pleased!!! Don't waste your money on a 05 seat. This cost me $25 ($12 for the foam at Joann's on sale with my wife's coupon and $13 for the 3M spray adhesive). For sure use an electric knife to cut the foam since I don't think you can make the cuts so cleanly without one. Also get the high density foam which is the exact right thickness for this application.

Good Luck!!!

Otis

Joann's also sells 5" high density foam and someone asked if this was possible to add or if 4" was the max. I think it's do-able. I had no trouble getting the 4" foam down and stapling the cover back on. I don't think ultimately the seat would be any higher though. The cover is only so big and getting the extra inch of foam under would only serve to compress it more making the seat slightly firmer (like adding preload to a spring) which I think is a good thing. As is it's pretty cushy. I am very happy with the result, but if I did it again I would give the 5" foam a try.

Otis

When you get it installed please post some more pics.

Nice work! That is a good looking seat!

Awesome job, this will be my next project. I think I'll look for 3 inches of foam so I don't have to mess with the handlebars. I'll try and obtain an air stapler and hook up to my compressor.

Pics on sled

Here are the pics on the sled. Also notice the 06 Apex RTX skid!!!! I am planning to add the ECP filters this weekend with a lighter battery and 04 CDI to fix the handwarmer problem. I already added a Pioneer Performance 45" front end kit this spring!! I cannot wait to ride.

If anyone has a good pic of the original 03 seat please post for a comparison.

Thanks

Otis

PS Don't worry about the handlebars. What I meant was that if you loosen the clamp and rotate them forward they fit the higher seat much better. There is a rivet which limits how much you can rotate, but just keep pushing and it will snap. That allows you to really rotate them forward in the correct position. Mine have hand guards installed and they just touch the windshield at maximum turn-in.

Attachments

• seat18.jpg
    seat18.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 383
  • seat17.jpg
    seat17.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 377
  • seat16.jpg
    seat16.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 380
  • seat15.jpg
    seat15.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 389
  • seat14.jpg
    seat14.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 372
  • seat13.jpg
    seat13.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 379
  • seat12.jpg
    seat12.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 382
  • seat11.jpg
    seat11.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 411
  • seat10.jpg
    seat10.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 371
To be totally honest I thought it was god aweful ugly off the sled :| On it is a completely different story and looks way better than the 06's IMHO I'm thinking it's the massive amount of Blue :bling

Rode it last night and it's great. Really soft and I like the higher seat position. I am really jealous of the Apex owners... Maybe next year.

Otis

03 stock seat

Here is the stock 03 seat. I'm adding foam this weekend as well.

Attachments

• DSC01154.JPG
    DSC01154.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 414

Back