• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4" high density foam added to seat with (NEW) pics

otis said:
Well I finally bite the bullet and installed 4" of high density foam padding to my 03 seat and could not be happier. It is the foam from Joann's craft stores. I copied the Apex shape right from the dealer and when it was all done it looks exactly like the apex seat!!! The process has been described before, but I wanted to add some pics of the foam cuts and the after shots.

Otis

This is how you cut it Chris, ( GO BACK TO PAGE 1 AND SEE OTIS'S PICTURES) and you can use 3" foam instead of 4", I did!

the handlebar rivet

love the mod looks great, maybe you could post some pictures about the handlebar and rivet situation. can you not just buy an aftermarket riser out of aluminum somewhere.

Just in case I screw it up, I just got an extra stock seat from E-bay for just $76.

I am hoping to get the foam tomorrow and get the seat done before this rain destroys all the snow left.

Thanks for the pics!

I have an 03 seat stuffed with 4" foam I'd sell. It is of an 03 silver sled and has silver on it's sides. PM if any interest. $75 plus shipping cost.

The seat doesn't have rips, but there is a scuff on one side from a boot.

I raised my seat 6" and my handlebars 4". The bars are also moved forward.

BIG difference in handling and being able to stand-up without your shoulders getting set on fire!

The throttle cable had to be changed to a longer one. (Someone suggested a mountain cable, however the mountain cable was the exact same length as my origional cable, no help there. Found a longer one off an arctic cat)

The other cables (brake, parking brake, choke, wiring, etc.) were re-routed to make better use of their existing length.
Did have to remove the metal cable retaining loop from the handle bar clamp.

:4STroke:

EDIT: Kevin at Port YamaHa got me the correct longer throttle cable.
It is off a 2005 Rx-1 Mountain. Thanks Kevin! :drink:

Foam prices went up

Hello, I just did this mod. The 4 inch high density foam I bought at Joanne's ended up being $30 with a 40% off coupon. Just wanted everyone to know since it's gone up since Otis did his installation.

thanks

I finished my 4" re-stuff and the handlebar risers. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight of that seat! There is a hell of a lot of useless weight there. Whether that justifies the expense of some of the aftermarket seats that are considerably lighter and have storage in them I cant say. Cant wait for the season to open!

4" seat mod

To hell with Joann Fabrics. Just did the 4" seat foam. Went to Joann Fabrics, they wanted $80.00 bucks for a 24"x40" piece of 5" High Density Foam. Did not want to spend this much just to waste half of it by shaping it. And did not want to wait for a coupon in the sunday paper.

Solution: Went to Target and bought a workout mat for $25.00 bucks. It was 3/4" thick, a little over 24" wide and 73" long. Layered it up as in the pics in this posting. Glued them together with 3m product that I had from putting a headliner in a 67 impala and walla I had my apex style seat.

I think it actually worked better than the single piece of high density foam. Did not have to worry about making wrong cut on single piece of foam. Is not the least bit soft and once covered cannot tell it is not one chunk of foam. I think it is six layers thick and between the second and third layers put a 4" wide piece down the middle that caused all the others to be higher in the middle and made the overall seat narrower. More like a seat from a moto x bike. Could not be happier with my new $25.00 seat. All excercise mats are not created equal, I found some are more squishy than others. I choose to go with a more firm less squishy one and it worked well. The 4" seat mod is back to $25.00.

For you in canada it might be easier to find an excercise mat than a joann fabrics.

Please do not ask for pics as it is covered and stapled (with a couple Hundred staples) and on the trail tamer. Just use you imagination and try to get it layed up to look like the foam in the pics in this post. It cut well with an electric knife. And the cover went over seven layers fine and two layers molded up on the back piece of the seat.

To put the cover on brought in the house. Heated up the cover with a hair dryer and had a couple of Catalogs stacked up so could turn upsidedown and use catalogs to compress the foam and pull on the seat cover.

FYI, not mentioned yet in this post is you have to unstaple and cut out the two pieces of elastic that go around a metal rode that keep the stock seat cover held in placed. You will see what I am talking about once you get the cover off. Also I did not take the cover all of the way off. I left all of the back stapled to the seat and about 10-12 inches up the sides of the seat. Almost all of the raised tail section in back. This made it much easier to get the seat cover back on. I cut off the pocket the metal rod went through and also made a little cut in the foam so the seam would sit flatter once the cover was one.

Go get'em fellow TY'ers

I work for a foam company and I'm impressed! The electric knife is a good tool for cutting foam, you can also use a bandsaw for straight cuts and a small die grinder with a coarse disc to shape foam (it will make a lot of dust). Has anyone tried a layer of memory foam on top of the regular foam? Just wondering if it would mold to your butt and reduce pressure points?

YammyRX1 said:
I work for a foam company and I'm impressed! The electric knife is a good tool for cutting foam, you can also use a bandsaw for straight cuts and a small die grinder with a coarse disc to shape foam (it will make a lot of dust). Has anyone tried a layer of memory foam on top of the regular foam? Just wondering if it would mold to your butt and reduce pressure points?

Did the memory foam on top of other dense foam on my boat & loved it!
Haven't tried it on my sled yet... lol

NO STUPID QUESTIONS I HOPE...WOULD THE SEAT SKIN BE THE SAME AS ON MY 04 WARRIOR? I WOULD SURE LOVE TO GIVE THIS A SHOT MYSELF AND SAVE SOME $

thanks chris ,so the seat will stretch back over and look o.k?is it the added foam that makes it heavier or just the seat in general?i am a heavy weight myself,the first place my machine could shed some pounds is the driver!!

Back