• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4th wheel kit = flying snow?

SRXracer

Expert
Hey guys, I just put an outside wheel kit on this week in preparation for a long weekend trip to the UP. I went for a quick shake down ride across the field tonight and immediately noticed all kinds of snow flying off the back of the wheels/track and hitting me in the back and helmet. As in, I was covered with it. I've had occasional chunks hit me before but nothing like this. The only other thing I saw is we had some freezing rain a couple days ago and it left the snow with a nice layer of crust which may be the culprit also.

Has anyone else had this much of a problem with the extra wheels and snow flying, or was it just the unique conditions?

Mine did it before I put the 4th wheel kit in, some types of snow are worse then others from what I've found

Ya mine rarely ever throws snow or ice up at me, maybe like the odd time but very rarely. Same deal though we had freezing rain here a couple days ago and the snow has a layer of ice on it and I have noticed that I have now had more ice being thrown up at the back of the helmet but I think it's just the snow conditions, its normally not like this.

Mine was worse BEFORE the 4th wheel kit. Water crossing was terrible.

Without doubt mine was worse without the wheels. However,I have recently added the rear tunnel flares (ltx) and have virtually no snow getting back to me now.

Tunnel flares solved the flying snow for me.

001%20XF7000_zpsvkcf2fun.jpg

Most will say that the outer wheels actually help hold snow in better than without. It could be that they change the eject point from right at the bend to up higher in the arc.

Also are your wheels open spoke or closed?

I specifically sought a kit with closed wheels for containment and to prevent ice crushing.

Back