• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8 inch billet rear idlers and front billet idlers

snowracer1000

Extreme
ok i have wanted to do this mod forever. I have a xtx i want to go with 8 inch in the rear and some 135mm in the front. I have searched a few forums and i can really find alot on it. So what is everyone's experiences.

Questions

1. is it worth going with 8 inch in the rear

2. what kind of improvements are you getting (speed, handling, hyfax wear)

3. any issues with the wheels holding up (no studs)

4. were is the best place to buy them

135mm bogey wheels significantly helped me with my hyfax wear. I went almost 1000 miles on a set of hyfax, vs only a couple hundred with the stock wheels.

I changed a whole bunch of stuff at the same time, so i can't comment if they helped my top speed at all.

ive wondered this also...with studs...but doubt you'll find an answer ...Ive yet to hear or see of an xtx with larger rear axle wheels

First i have to say MPI has amazing customer service. second after checking with a few people this is what i came up with.

1. the large rear wheel actually do not help anything they actually hurt the rear suspension function due to the change in geometry.

2. they do not make a noticeable change in rolling resistance.

3. they do not give like plastic ones do so they will bend or break if you land wrong off a hill or jump.

4. they cost way to much to look good

long and short i will get some sly dogs instead

Slydogs are nice, a little pricey. I wouldn't use slydogs for the inside front wheels. I tried it and they got totally eaten up in about 400 miles. Switch to a ski-doo wheel and they look the same as the day I put them in. I would get a real authentic ski-doo wheel directly from your ski-doo dealer, not a generic wheel from somewhere else.

A good example of a wheel that is perfect for the inside, is the front middle bogie wheel off a 2002 mxz 5/6/700. Solid black plastic ;)!

I like the all white slydogs, in the pic, if you look close enough, 1 wheel is on backwards lol

Attachments

• nytro wheels.jpg
    nytro wheels.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 74
sleddingfarmer said:
I would get a real authentic ski-doo wheel directly from your ski-doo dealer, not a generic wheel from somewhere else.

A good example of a wheel that is perfect for the inside, is the front middle bogie wheel off a 2002 mxz 5/6/700. Solid black plastic ;)!

are those 135mm wheels...? when you say perfect fit does anything need to be machined?

I want to run oversized and even add some to the inside...then run oversized better looking wheels outside...like the balck and blue slydogs for example...

when I say perfect, I mean they are just solid, no design, and very strong, they'll match any wheel you put on the outside. I put a generic wheel on the inside of my brothers 06 nytro, and it is falling apart.

The wheel I gave for an example (2002 mxz) is a 135mm wheel with the thicker bearing, which is the exact same size wheel and everything as the slydog wheels. Slightly oversized from the yamaha 130mm wheels.

You'll have to do some machining, or modifying to your suspension components on the inside to make them fit, because of the slightly thicker bearing. The suspension on the xtx vs my RTX is a little different. Its still very easy to do though, I did it on my brothers 06 nytro, which is the same design suspension. All I used was a good file, and a bench grinder with a good square grinding wheel. I didn't measure anything either... its easy to figure out once you get it all apart and start thinking about it.

Back