• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

9" or 11" ski skin performance?

I got mine from Yukon Yamaha in Whitehorse. They had stock a month ago.

QUOTE="YukonMP, post: 1546725, member: 23891"]I got mine from Yukon Yamaha in Whitehorse. They had stock a month ago.[/QUOTE]
I emailed them to see if they ship to alaska

I got mine from Yukon Yamaha in Whitehorse. They had stock a month ago.
Got a hold of yukon yamaha and the nice fella there is going to ship em out to me!

He also said they dont carry the 11” because they have a tendency to break in cold weather and it gets crazy cold up here so im going with the 9”.

How wide are those 2014 factory skis? I've got Gen I Simmons on mine and looking for something wider

Has anyone put a set of the 13-15 model year skis on a 2007ish VK? Is it a direct fit replacement? My sled has a set of Gen I Simmons the 6" ones and they just aren't cutting it for breaking trail and getting enough bite. Gotta figure out the trick to getting some more ski pressure once I get some wider skis. I've found a set of Gen II Simmons that'll be my backup plan. Thoughts?

Has anyone put a set of the 13-15 model year skis on a 2007ish VK? Is it a direct fit replacement? My sled has a set of Gen I Simmons the 6" ones and they just aren't cutting it for breaking trail and getting enough bite. Gotta figure out the trick to getting some more ski pressure once I get some wider skis. I've found a set of Gen II Simmons that'll be my backup plan. Thoughts?
The newer VKPro skis are 7" deep keel and are made to help with backing up with a higher curve at the back, I run them on my 16 Apex and has made a huge difference in keeping her up on top of the deep stuff, I also put snow trackers on to fix the darting, this setup works very well on my sled where it is heavy in the front, not sure if this helps.

The 11” inch skins are a good option. Provides extra flotation in powder and stability on trail and in the rough stuff when you have low snow conditions. Dooley double carbides helped with the darting but caused an unintentional hard steer-workout on non- power steer models before 2017 on most VK Pros it would seem!

Attachments

• FB855284-A426-4A2D-866A-2D9C94703A66.jpeg
    FB855284-A426-4A2D-866A-2D9C94703A66.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 81
I went with the 11" ski skins helps with the tippyness and also tune down front suspension from setting 1 to 3rd setting helps stability and no darting. Looks kind of goofy but works good. The mod on the exhaust has kept ice build up in tunnel at a minimum.
Where did you purchase your wide ski skins. My dealership told me they did not exist for my 2020 vk pro. Thanks

Where did you purchase your wide ski skins. My dealership told me they did not exist for my 2020 vk pro. Thanks
SKU SMA-8FNSK-11-BK

That is off the Yamaha Canada website. I've been meaning to post on this thread since I saw the comment that the 11s are fragile. That is what my dealer told me and they are the source of that comment in this thread.

The VK Pro is a wide sled made wider by 11 inch skins, it may not fit between any two trees that buddies sled just passed between. I need the extra width and will not cry if they get cracked. Right now there is almost two feet of powder on the lake and they are saving my #*$&@.

The 11” skins are available from a few places on line. A cursory check yesterday saw a few sites pop up. Mine cane from the local Yamaha dealer. They are not in stock now there.

The 11” inch skins are a good option. Provides extra flotation in powder and stability on trail and in the rough stuff when you have low snow conditions. Dooley double carbides helped with the darting but caused an unintentional hard steer-workout on non- power steer models before 2017 on most VK Pros it would seem!
What dooley did you use?

Back