• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A new High Performance Trail 2-Stroke YamaCat in the works for next season?

An SXR/Riot platform would be an absolute sale for me with yamaha power. If I buy a cat powered machine I will buy a Riot. Just waiting to see what happens here this next year or 2. I have my 15 Ulmer built Viper and love it. I dont need a sidewinder. I would like to really set the Viper up for nicely groomed trails and have a sled for loose more playful riding. They really need to bring back the SXR.

The only 2 stroke trail sled Yamaha will have if Cat agrees to build it and share it, maybe a new ctec 850 is in the works and a updated new pro cross chassis, hopefully this will migrate to the 4 strokes, that will be Yamaha's customers only hope to have one in blue for those who like the 2 strokes, Yamaha is shutting down their R&D so no more quality control from Yamaha, everything will be left for Cat to decide Yamaha's fate at the plant, way to go Yamaha!!!

Sadly agree. Can anyone tell me why Yamaha got out of making a 2 stroke sled engine when they were the best in the business for many years?
It's not that they didn't have the technology to make a clean and powerful 2 stroke sled engine. Cat, Polaris and Ski-doo have kept pace with emissions?

Sadly agree. Can anyone tell me why Yamaha got out of making a 2 stroke sled engine when they were the best in the business for many years?
It's not that they didn't have the technology to make a clean and powerful 2 stroke sled engine. Cat, Polaris and Ski-doo have kept pace with emissions?
Probably because our Government fooled them into thinking that they were going to be Outlawed because of emissions. Just like the Japanese abided by the laws for ATV's as far as weight and width limits for ATV's. for years. They didnt realize that $ here talks and the laws are changed to fit the Manufacturer with the $ to get laws changed to do whatever they want. By time they saw two strokes were not actually going to be banned they were too heavily invested in 4 strokes.

Also I dont believe for a minute that even the current 2 strokes are anywhere near as clean as the 4 strokes emission wise. I can still smell the Targets ahead of me on trail every time well before I pass them or even can see them. Cold starts in trailer will also tell the tale. Not saying I care they pollute. Actually like the smell on a limited basis. But they definitely do.

let me modify my position a bit, i am an odball and would take a 540 air cooled motor in a trail chassis like the venom.

Great comments....thank you.
Clean 2 strokes, as you mentioned, are only clean IMO when they are warm. My ZR 6000 smokes like crazy in -20C Canadian temps warming up in the morning but I do not smell or see any smoke after they are warm on the trials, plus they always start.
I am not comparing between the two, they both have there good and bad and to be honest, glad we have a choice

Yamaha still makes a 2 stroke out of Japan for the utility market the 540 I believe, been around for a while, the guys in the real colder climates prefer the 2 stroke it seems, It really bothers me now following a 2 stroke on the trail, it didn't seem like a problem when running and following a 2 stroke back in the day when everybody had a 2 stroke on the trails, every snowmobiler smelled of 2 stroke oil back in the day, was just the norm.

, It really bothers me now following a 2 stroke on the trail, it didn't seem like a problem when running and following a 2 stroke back in the day when everybody had a 2 stroke on the trails, every snowmobiler smelled of 2 stroke oil back in the day, was just the norm.
just remember how we all smelled like cigarettes after going to the bar at night. Man, I cant stand cigi smell now, can smell one a mile away....

Back in the day there was nothing better than a cold beer and a smoke, how things have changed today, everybody smokes weed in Canada now, I can smell that skunky smell a mile away.

I love both 2-stroke and 4-stroke sleds, but it's hard to decide which one sounds the best.

RetroSRX8.JPG

1638592724557.png

After watching this clip I think my mind is made up.

4-stroke turbo for the win!

It's not that they didn't have the technology to make a clean and powerful 2 stroke sled engine. Cat, Polaris and Ski-doo have kept pace with emissions?they stillmake 2 stroke engines.. just not for sleds

They still make 2 stroke engines.. just not for sleds

In the 2000's the government (and other countries) were demanding EACH vehicle is able to hit a certain emission standard by 2010 & stricter every couple years.
The "Fleet Credit" program was being abolished. That's where a company could take an average of all their products' emissions output.
So some were super clean & others were dirty.
Yamaha knew that NO 2-stroke could meet those standards, and they still can't to this day.

SO the big Y gambled & got rid of 2-smokers.
THEN the big companies fought back, greasing palms & schmoozing the politicians until the emissions numbers were decreased.
Yamaha got caught with no 2-stroke to compete where 2-strokes are heavily demanded.

We must remember that the 2-stroke emission numbers you see were at idle.
The new standards are measured throughout the powerband and THAT is why the boat Etecs are gone!
Evinrude (Etec) was #2 in the world. There is NO EFFIN way it wasn't profitable!
They could NOT make the standards.

Unfortunately for Yamaha the Off-Trail & Rough Trail snowmobile market took off.
Yamaha got caught with their pants down & suffered trying to do the right thing.

P.S: Yamaha still makes money so don't feel bad for them
P.S2: I believe Polaris' LACK of a 4-stroke hurts them immensely

Back