• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Age old question. What motor oil, if any besides YamaLube Semi 0W-30, won't void warranty?

jsslye

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha SR Viper LTX-LE
Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Nytro RTX-SE
1999 Vmax 600 SX Triple
Age old question. What motor oil, if any besides YamaLube Semi 0W-30, won't void warranty?

Any oil that meets the specs of Yamalube will not void your warranty.

0W-40 is fine too

Any oil that meets the specs of Yamalube will not void your warranty.
^ This. They can't force you to use their oil or have them perform the service. If there was ever an issue they would have to prove that the failure was a result of the oil you used. You want to of course make sure the oil you use meets the Yamaha spec. Hang on to your receipts and keep a log of when you did the oil change and the mileage and you'll be good.

Ok so I am not so much worried about the warranty as I am about using the correct oil. Felt like such a nube question and I've had the same motor ('09 Nyrto and '16 Viper) for 13 years, always felt like I was overpaying with the Yamalube. Guess it is rather cheap insurance to use the OEM product. I've read a couple other thread about an additive Yamaha claims to add to it. Sounds a little like Yamaha Propaganda to me. And not to use full synthetic as well. Anyways. Figured Mobil-1 0W-30 Semi Synthetic is good.

Ok so I am not so much worried about the warranty as I am about using the correct oil. Felt like such a nube question and I've had the same motor ('09 Nyrto and '16 Viper) for 13 years, always felt like I was overpaying with the Yamalube. Guess it is rather cheap insurance to use the OEM product. I've read a couple other thread about an additive Yamaha claims to add to it. Sounds a little like Yamaha Propaganda to me. And not to use full synthetic as well. Anyways. Figured Mobil-1 0W-30 Semi Synthetic is good.

I can't speak for the folks up in Canada, but Yamaha cannot void a warranty just because you used a product that was not theirs. Like any manufacturer, Yamaha would have to legitimately prove that the aftermarket product was the cause of the damage. For example, your warranty would still be intact if you used an oil filled with iron filings but you cracked a skidframe rail. However, if you drilled out your rails to fit aftermarket stiffeners and the rail cracked at the new holes, then you would own the cost to repair or replace. It's an extreme example that would obviously never happen, but you catch my [snow] drift. As long as you're using a oil that's within Yamaha's specifications, it'd be downright impossible for them to argue it.

Okay so the manual for both 2015 MP and 2016 Vector (and I assume many other manuals for many years and models) says the following "API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA" so as long as the oil has the "SG" as the standard (which can be found on the the bottle in either the API wheel or in the printing on the bottle), all is good.

Okay so the manual for both 2015 MP and 2016 Vector (and I assume many other manuals for many years and models) says the following "API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA" so as long as the oil has the "SG" as the standard (which can be found on the the bottle in either the API wheel or in the printing on the bottle), all is good.

The JASO MA spec is why I personally wouldn't use Automotive oil. Yamaha 4 stroke oil or in my case Amsoil meets that spec and considering it's not a 2 stroke and your only doing one oil change a year I don't mind the extra expense. It's minimal in my eyes versus the cost of most everything in this sport. Lol.

I mostly asked out of curiosity, thanks for all of the replies. Went to my local Yammie dealer and bought YamaLube for both sleds, just like the past 12 seasons.

I mostly asked out of curiosity, thanks for all of the replies. Went to my local Yammie dealer and bought YamaLube for both sleds, just like the past 12 seasons.

Ironically, I went out this fall and purchased an oil change kit from Arctic Cat for the 998/1049 engines since it was less expensive (plus there aren't any Yamaha dealerships around me that actually work on snowmobiles). I can't imagine how hard it would be for Yamaha to argue that I wasn't using the right oil - plus Yamaha doesn't actually make YamaLube, they just slap their name on the bottle and charge you for it.

The JASO MA spec is why I personally wouldn't use Automotive oil. Yamaha 4 stroke oil or in my case Amsoil meets that spec and considering it's not a 2 stroke and your only doing one oil change a year I don't mind the extra expense. It's minimal in my eyes versus the cost of most everything in this sport. Lol.
JASO MA: This is the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (like API) standard specification for oils that are used within one oil system (where the engine, gearbox and clutch use the same oil). These sled engines don't have a gearbox nor wet clutch inside, so that tells me Yamaha just copied the oil spec from their bike engines or YXZ1000, which is more fitting...
I agree, the "API service SG type or higher" is the significant and more relevant spec.

Last edited:
Bought Penzoil and Mobil 1 full synthetic, on sale at Canadain Tire, 50% off. Filled the cart full.
A little over $6CAD.
Was loyal to Yamaha for years and years, but they were raising the price of oil way ahead of inflation.....
Almost $20 per liter is just too much.

JASO MA: This is the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization (like API) standard specification for oils that are used within one oil system (where the engine, gearbox and clutch use the same oil). These sled engines don't have a gearbox nor wet clutch inside, so that tells me Yamaha just copied the oil spec from their bike engines or YXZ1000, which is more fitting...
I agree, the "API service SG type or higher" is the significant and more relevant spec.

Everyone will certainly have their own preference. I'm sure most everything will work without issue but JASO MA spec is certainly not the same as automotive oil. Reduced friction modifiers, increased anti wear, anti corrosion. If that's what's spec'd for these engines then that's what I prefer to use. I'm sure glad I did when I was asked for my oil change receipts when they were approving my Viper engine replacement this spring.

Everyone will certainly have their own preference. I'm sure most everything will work without issue but JASO MA spec is certainly not the same as automotive oil. Reduced friction modifiers, increased anti wear, anti corrosion. If that's what's spec'd for these engines then that's what I prefer to use. I'm sure glad I did when I was asked for my oil change receipts when they were approving my Viper engine replacement this spring.
I do use Yamaha oil while under warranty.

Back