• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ahhh... Add another one to the Yamalaris crew! - Pics up!

Jack_Shaft

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Just finished installing a 2004 Pro-X 440 136" skid into my 2003 RX-1 and boy is it ever nice - looks almost stock!

I am a little bit curious as to the ride height though, it looks great when empty, but when a rider gets on there, Polaris rears have a 1.5-2" sit-in sag on most all of their sleds and it occurs here too. I cranked the Walker Evans' shocks and rear springs up on max, but it's still sitting a bit low. I think I'm going to move my forward spring rests up an inch or so and see if that will stiffen things up a little.

In the meantime, I'd say I'll look around for some heavier springs too, seems that's what most people have to do as soon as they swap in off-brand skids to deal with the weight of the RX-1.

Pics to follow...

-JS

Pro-x

I am about to install an pro-x 440 121" skid into my RX1 03, can you help me with the distance from the driveshaft to front arm mounting holes?

Re: Pro-x

mforare said:
I am about to install an pro-x 440 121" skid into my RX1 03, can you help me with the distance from the driveshaft to front arm mounting holes?

Sure man, no problem.

Front hole: 9.5" back from centerline of driveshaft, 3.125" higher than driveshaft hole.

Basically, if your driveshaft is 5.125" down from the underside of your tunnel, then the front torque arm is mounted 2" from the underside of the tunnel. Those are NOT the proper dimensions, just an example.

Measure all distances down from the tunnel protectors since that is the effective tunnel underside on the RX-1.

The rear mounting point will depend on how the suspension "stands" once the front torque arm is mounted and the sled is upright, I had the mount-to-mount reference of 27.25", but that may differ for the 121" version. I tried to install my rear torque arm in the tunnel, but it's too low once you sit on it and the sit-in sag takes effect. Relocate your Yamaha drop brackets to make it work, I have to do that tonight.

-JS

I would think that as long as the sit-in was spec, the skid should work great. You may also want to check out the AD Boivin ETS coupling adjuster for the EDGE skids too. I had one on mine, great add-on for not much money.

4Fighter said:
I would think that as long as the sit-in was spec, the skid should work great. You may also want to check out the AD Boivin ETS coupling adjuster for the EDGE skids too. I had one on mine, great add-on for not much money.

Doesn't apply to Pro-X skids.

Fark! Dropped the rear out 3.5" and now I have sprocket-to-rail contact. Oh well, I guess you have to sometimes expect that when installing extroverts. I will be trimming off 1" or so tomorrow night and then I'll re-install my rail caps and see how it works. I still feel that the Pro-X skid sags too much just under the weight of the rear of the RX-1, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need heavier rate torsion springs for this application. Once I get the rail caps on there and go for a run I'll know more.

-JS

Still trying to get back in the garage to trim the rails a little.

I have been looking at the rear scissors and I think that the rear scissors-stop block position (weight transfer) is responsible for a great deal of the sit-in. Getting the RX-1 to transfer weight is always a challange, so I wanted to allow for a LOT and then work my way back, but it looks like the rear scissors can squat too far right now without any spring action really. I'm going to move the rear scissors stop ahead a bit and relocate the rear scissors to the furthest rear hole to avoid the auto-squat a little and see what happens.

I am still a little antsy about cutting 1" off my rails... really wouldn't want to stab through my windows and scrap a track.

More to come!

-JS

And here's the finished product.

After I trimmed the rails down 3/4" and ground down the nosecaps, I am finally clearing my extroverts!

I also moved the rear scissors to the rearmost point in the rail and the sit-in sag is reduced to about half, which is perfect. I have a lot less transfer now, but I am going to play with the RRSS position a little to get it back.

-JS

Attachments

• Copy of Frontal.jpg
    Copy of Frontal.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Copy of Rear_Qtr.jpg
    Copy of Rear_Qtr.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 119

Back