• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Air Filter Restriction on Supercharger

sledhead_dan

Extreme
Went sledding to the mountains last weekend. Lots of powder snow clogging up my filter. Standard MPI setup, hood installed. Restiction kept my revs down also boost. Anyone with better filtration, info would be appreciated.

10.jpg

put a snorkel on it! no more problems for me, runs crisper also.

Parts List:

(2) 3"L x 2.25"OD Thinwall Aluminum Tubing (Local Purchase)
(1) 3"L x 2.25"ID Straight Coupler (www.turbohoses.com)
(1) 45* 2.25"ID x 3"ID Coupler (www.turbohoses.com)
(1) 3"OD x 6"OD Velocity Stack (www.turbohoses.com)
(1) Sheet SLP powder pre-filter material (www.startinglineproducts.com)
(4) 3" clamps (Local Purchase)
(1) 6" Clamp (Local Purchase)
(1) Roll Insulated Heat Tape (Local Purchase)

Normal setup:
6" Spun Aluminum Velocity Stack (www.turbohoses.com)
SLP powder pre-filter material (14-253) (www.startinglineproducts.com)

Deep Powder setup:
Weapon-R foam filter (710-111-102) (www.weapon-r.com)
K&N drycharger cover (RX4530DK)

The Secret Weapon Air Filter is an result of countless hours of testing and tuning intake Air velocity and Air volume. The Result, an air filter that performs better than any other air filters available in the market today. The Secret Weapon Air Filter provides maximum airflow with the protection of high quality dense Poly Urethane Foam. Many studies have shown flow rates of up to 80% more air and better filtration with foam filters than conventional cotton filters. The Secret Weapon air filter’s main feature is CAD Designed and flow benched tested internal velocity stack. This feature greatly increases Air velocity and Air flow.

Airflow Dynamics Article: http://easyperformance.com/Tech_Info/CAI_Design/CAI_Primer_Airflow.html

Attachments

• Deep Powder Filter.jpg
    Deep Powder Filter.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Velocity Stack.jpg
    Velocity Stack.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Intake Pipe.jpg
    Intake Pipe.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Weapon-R Filter.jpg
    Weapon-R Filter.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 85
Hammer,

I am going to build this same setup you did. Can you layout the design a little clearer for me. Your pictures don't look like they have so many pieces as you listed in the parts list. I am referring to the deep snow one.

I'm not quite sure what part this is:

Is that 2 seperate 45* elbows? Maybe you could get the sku number off their site.

Thanks so much for your help.

***Would you recommend this same filter setup (maybe not the exact hoses, couplers, etc) for a supercharged phazer as well? That thing is very starved for air.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_ ... 686b7d6800

http://turbohoses.com/45%20degree.htm

turbo hoses web site doesnt list the 45 reducing fitting on the site. call them.
it is pictured in the second pic down on the link i gave
I used silicone intakes. a lot cheaper and they are real quality pieces and fast shipping.hope this helps.
I did mine straight up through the hood used black pvc with
a threaded to slip coupler glued to the pipe so i could unscrew the snorkel at the end of the day screw in a plug and still use the stock cover for trailering.
bought a silicone 45 this summer for the snorkel put a male insert in one end and the stock filter on the other. now in a rollover the intake will just flop over then pop back up.too close to the hood and the snow covers the filter.

Will just this air filter help on a MPI Stage one Nytro?? Or a waste of my money?

Thank you Skydog

Okay...so I am really confused. Based on the info Hammer listed above:

Parts List:

(2) 3"L x 2.25"OD Thinwall Aluminum Tubing (Local Purchase)
(1) 3"L x 2.25"ID Straight Coupler (www.turbohoses.com)
(1) 3"OD x 6"OD Velocity Stack (www.turbohoses.com)
(1) Sheet SLP powder pre-filter material (www.startinglineproducts.com)
(4) 3" clamps (Local Purchase)
(1) 6" Clamp (Local Purchase)
(1) Roll Insulated Heat Tape (Local Purchase)

Normal setup:
6" Spun Aluminum Velocity Stack (www.turbohoses.com)
SLP powder pre-filter material (14-253) (www.startinglineproducts.com)

Deep Powder setup:
Weapon-R foam filter (710-111-102) (www.weapon-r.com)
K&N drycharger cover (RX4530DK)

Does this mean for the Deep Powder setup you need the Weapon-R filter INSTEAD of the Velocity Stack?

I ordered them both and now that I have the Velocity Stack it looks huge. Will it fit the Weapon filter? Since the Velocity Stack was listed in the main parts list I thought it went no matter what. Now that I look closer at his pictures it looks like he has wrapped the Velocity Stack with prefilter material and no filter for regular setup.

Do you run the Deep Powder without the Velocity Stack and just the filter, or is it both?

Can I get a clarification? I think I may be making this harder than it really is.

Thanks

he runs the velocity stack on low snow days and pulls it off and installs the weapon-r on deep pow days. on a deep over the hood pow day the velocity stack will get coverd with snow choking out the motor. theweapon sitting up and having surface area all the way around will plug with snow on the front but still leaves the back of the filter open to fresh air. with a blim of the throttle the snow will clear off the weapon but the velocity stack being so close to the hood will still be covered with snow.. hope that helps..

Obile thanks for the help. While doing a search I just realized Hammer had some health issues. Hopefully he is doing better.

So on low snow days he runs no filter, just the stack. Got it!

On powder days he swaps out the stack for the weapon. If this is the case I think I will just send the stack back and go with the Weapon filter setup.

I believe the Weapon has a 4 inch inlet. He didn't list any piping with a 4 inch diameter. Help me out here. How does he connect the Weapon filter? I kind of thought that is where the 45* 2.25 to 3" came in, but if the filter is 4 inch it doesn't jive. What are your thoughts? Also, where can I buy thinwall aluminum locally?

I found the silicone from turbohoses to make the 4" weapon work. To be honest the filter seems a little large. Would the 3" be adequate, or should I just stick with the 4" that I already have? I don't think it would be a big deal to send it back for an exchange. I was also thinking of using all silicone tubing to make if more flexible in case of a roll over.

The intake is only 2.25" on the compressor. ( If memory serves. ) The stock elbow is 2.25" on the compressor side and 2.75" on the filter side. I went with the 3". Smaller hole in the hood also. lol
On the other hand, is it worth it to pay for freight to ship it back and wait? Probably not. If anything, you'll catch more air. Those filters are only 40 bucks. Maybe try them both and see which one you like the best. You can always sell the other one you don't use or send it back. Might be worth the 40 bucks to have them both there for a visual?

My weapon R is a bit different though. Here is mine. Called the Weapon R Dragon.

Attachments

• Weapon R.jpg
    Weapon R.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 77
not knockin hammers setup. but its over complicated. 2.25 black pvc pipe from home depot clamped into the sc elbow straight up to the bottom of the hood glue a female threaded coupler onto the pipe and fasten to delta box. stuff a 2.25 male threaded coupler into your stock filter clamp and your done. if you want it higher as i did put the male coupler into a silicone 3 inch inside dia 45 degree coupler put a 2.25 slip to slip coupler in the other end then stock filter. puts the filter about 10 inches above the hood and will flop over in a roll and pop back up. unscrew at the end of the day screw in the plug put on cover and your done. heres a couple of pics of what i did last year. did this with a 45 threaded to slip pvc coupler just to get it going overnight and have now switched this to a pvc 45 bu this should give you an idea.
PICT0088.jpg

air2.jpg

air3.jpg

air4.jpg

air5.jpg

Obile,
I like that set up. Clean and easy install. I like the plug also for summer storage so you can keep the filter anywhere you want. No clamps to deal with when taking off the hood, just unscrew the tube and that's it. I may have to "barrow" your set up here.

Plus that is a great place for some decals. lol

Back