• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ALL MOUNTAIN RIDERS PLEASE READ!!!

Mud Nutts said:
You can own all the best equipment in the world but you need to know how to use it and the guys you are riding with needed to know how to use it as well. I just got back from Golden BC. I took a avalanche awearness course for 3 days. 6 hours class room and 16 hours in the field. We learned how to use our equipment properly(Becons/Probes) and cut into many snow packs to learn how snow reacts to wind, sun, and temp changes and many other interesting things. Sure opened my eyes!! After taking the course, I don't think I would want to ride with friends without the training because if I was caught, Would they know what to do??? Remember if you are caught your life is in someone elses hands! RIDE SMART AND BE PERPARED!!!

I totally agree with Mud Nutts. The best investment is knowledge. Lost a buddy in January. Hit him from behind. He did not have a chance to pull the cord of his ABS. Not knocking the bags. I think anything to increase the odds is great. Just don't go with the ill conceived thought that this is the ultimate life saver. It's the last line if defence. Take an avalanche course. Know how to find and recover someone quickly and expect the same from your riding group.

have to support mud nuts post as well. I have been safely backcountry skiing and snowboarding for 15 years. we need to know when to stay out of trouble and that only comes from education. the first decision is whether or not to ride the terrain, after that you are in the game for better or worse. all the safety and rescue gear is for after you have made the wrong decision. then you better hope the folks watching you rip that big line have had all the rescue training available. I fly paragliders and we have a saying - "I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was flying than in the air wishing I was on the ground" :Rockon:

I also agree with mudnutts. I teach everybody I ride with to watch steep slopes for lack of trees or rocks....means it an avy slide...dont mess around there watch it closely and get by it.

Increasing your odds are great, but please do not think two tons of snow rocks and trees are NOT going to hurt.

If you don't know about avy areas then stay away from steep areas.

Here in Colorado three weekends ago I watched two guys with there cute avy packs high mark an out of bounds area that has killed a snowmobiler on two different occasions (that is why it is out of bounds). They ignore all the flags and signs and go on a testoterone high. I watched, knowing I was not going to assist if they brought one down. PLEASE do not think you can play in the avy chutes just because you have a pack.

BOY am I gonna get flamed for this...............

Ive never been in the extreme stuff like revel stoke and other deep snow areas but i refuse to ride in large groups or with people I don’t trust. Totally agree with all riders needing the air bag and most importantly proper training. I monitor snow depths and pay attention to the weather and basically perform my own snow tests in an area a week prior to riding anything that’s even remotely steep or suspicious. There’s never a reason to take a chance. I currently ride an old beast of an apex and won’t even try half of what a modern , light and extremely agile mountain machine will do. After 35 years in the mountains I’ve seen dozens of slides and potential deadly situations. Learning what is safe and practising together with your riding group before heading out is very important. Learn how to use the equipment and never ride an area that doesn’t have a safe runout with a planned side escape.

Back