• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

All The Yamaha's Wouldn't Start

Well, I'm eating crow. Went up to Quebec this past week. My group use to be all Yamaha riders, 8 in all. Well, over this summer, 5 of them changed to the new E-Tech Ski Doo. The 3 that stayed with Yamaha had to hear all week how much they loved their Doo's, handling, mileage, light feel, etc. Well we just figured they were just trying to convince themselves they made the right choice. Well it got to -42 and guess what? The Doo's started instantly, all have electric start, the Yamaha's wouldn't. We had to use blankets and hairdryers and boost boxes to get ours running. All 8 used the same gas. Needless to say, we heard about it all the way home. By the way, with the flair kits, the Ski Doo's are warm.
I'm wondering, do the Yami's have some sort of automatic compression release? If not, it might be a good thing to look into for extreme cold weather starting.

sorry...but I'd never ride a -40f temps anyhow...I think of it as the yam sleds have a protection mode to proect foolish riders who could die at thise temps..

You beat me to posting this!!!! We ran into the same problem this week in Quebec!! 2 06 Attaks and 1 07 Rage. At -31*C, sleds started. Mine (attak) started hard, but eventually started. Next day, at -40*C, all three would turn over slowly but would not start. It was not the relays, I could hear it click and the pump start. Yes, I did cycle it about 8 times. I just don't think it was cranking fast enough. We put a battery charger on them and eventually they started. The battery charger made the sleds turn over like normal. We lost about 2.5 hours that morning.

Kicker is, there was a tour group that also stayed in the same lodge and they came out, gave 5 or 6 pulls on the cord, hit the starter and they all started!!! About 5 or 6 sleds, 500ss and 550f I believe. Hey, gotta give credit where its due right?!!!!

sj - I rode in those temps for 3 days, didn't die and had a great time!! We were prepared for it and that's the difference. I had guantlets, high windshield and enough layers that I could hardly move, but I can honestly say that I wasn't cold riding!!! Also, when your 500 miles from your truck, you don't have much of a choice. All part of the challenge! (but you have to use common sense)

I still think.... :4STroke:

sorry...but I'd never ride a -40f temps anyhow...I think of it as the yam sleds have a protection mode to proect foolish riders who could die at thise temps..

I have been down to the -30's before and have not had a problem with my Apex using 0w-30 full syn oil and 87oct fuel. Use a lighter oil maybe? it would be easier to crank over and 87oct will light better than high test at those temps.

Mine started in -37c but -40maybe the limit. My wife Mercedes Benz would start and one we did get it going the tranny was froozen

Very cold starts Yamaha needs to work on this. You must have got a lot of ribbing from the doo guys and remember that taste of crow you ride with these guys long enough you can give them a taste right back.

If you plan to ride again in these kind of temps, I'd suggest:

- Install block heater ($30, & 45 minutes to install)
- Synthetic oil

If you saw how small some of the oil passages are on this engine, (and how tight the engine tolerances are) you'd probably be avoiding the cold starts as described...

Budweiser: Exactly, when you're hundreds of miles from the truck, and it's getting closer to the end of your trip, you gotta go. Yes, I believe they weren't spinning over fast enough. Seemed like a little heat and a boost box on each sled, and they fired up. Trouble is, sometimes, there isn't a boost box available. Block heaters are only good if there is electric nearby. Also, IMO, if one brand of snowmobile doesn't have a problem, then they all shouldn't. I'm excluding fuel lines icing up in that statement because I use iso. on every fill up. If the 4 strokes need an extra boost because of the nature of the motor, then there should be a decompression mechanism and a stronger starting system. Yes, I will look forward to the day that I can make my buddies eat crow. As long as it's not -40!

Just one more note. I really don't mind riding in that kind of temperature. The way the snow flies behind you is awesome. Plus, there really aren't too many people on the trails with you, obviously. You dress warm enough, it's not bad, (except when your eyes freeze shut!).

Back