• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Amer. Snow. Shoot Out

Jonce

Veteran
I want your opinions on these results. I currently ride Poo's but desparately want to switch over to Yammi's 4 stroke within the next year or two (depends on money). How accurate do you think these results are?

Any word on other 4 strokers from Yammi's?

Attachments

• amer snow shootout.pdf
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,298

If your only goal is to race your friends and you're all going to use " Box stock" sleds, then I'd have to say that the cat would be for you/ If you like to play now and then but want a sled that not spending more time at the dealers shop than at your place( I believe they had somewhere in the neighbor hood of 10 recalls on the F-7)then you need to look at the other brands/ The most important thing is to be honest as to how you ride 90% of the time/ the four strokes are only going to get better as time goes on/ How many two stroke motorcycles do you see on the road today?/ It will take another couple years and the four's will pull even and ahead/ but it takes time and trial/ Considering that this Yamaha has only been out there one full season I think it's a wonder that it's done as well as it has/The change over to the fours will not come just from speed alone/ if you ride with some one and they stay with you all day/ they gas up using less regular grade fuel while your putting in more high test and pouring in the oil( not to mention that you may have to carry your extra oil with you on long trips) it WILL get to you after a while/ I'm beginning to see it with those I ride with/ I dont tease them about it/ I just fuel up and keep on riding while they're fooling with plugs, oil, etc./Last year I put on 6000( thousand) mlies and the only thing I changed was the oil as recomended/ that to me was a major break through/ Just gas and go/ How do you ride?/ How do you want to ride?/ later

Jim-bob.

I'm starting to get to the point where I want to just fill up and go, instead of checking the oil, etc. I currently get 9 mpg on my little 500cc VES Poo but I wouldn't mind the 15-17 mpg that the RX1 gets. That alone would save me a lot of money on trips. I think I will wait for another year or two to see what Yammi does with the new models. All of my friends pretty much ride Poo's but I want a change. I don't want to be tunnel visioned on just one brand while other mfg's have great innovations coming out (4 strokers). As for my riding, I usually ride nothing but trails and ditches (MN boy). Which brings me up to my next question, how is the suspension on the RX1 and Vipers in comparison to the other mfg's sleds?

Although this Warrior rides head and shoulders above the shorty I had last year- Yamaha HAS got to address the suspension on their sleds/ on groomed trails it's fine- but then again so isn't everything else/ Yamaha(in my opinion) definitly has the worst overall ride out there/ it's not terrible just outdated/ generally you have to give up something to get something else and we would all like to have the perfect sled/ I wouldn't own anything else at this time- BUT- if someone else makes a good four stroke in the future and it has the ride and Yamaha doesn't correct the situtation then I'd be tempted to swap/ I'm not bran loyal to anything/I've own all of the major brands and they ALL make good sleds-again it comes down to how you ride/ I would think that ditch bangers might not like this sled without doing a change to an M-10 etc:/ maybe a few of them will chirp in here and voice their opine/later

Since you seem to be interested in the four stroke I will only comment on the RX1.

I was not unhappy with the "Best Box Stock" numbers which show the RX1 right there with the other guys "Light" 800's and not too far behind the 900 Kitty. Pretty darn impressive for a Heavy 4 stroke I would say.

What I saw at the races last year pretty much showed what these numbers you posted did.

The RX1 would run with the other 800's but could not handle the 600 to 900 Cats on a drag strip. Mind you the Cats were Heavily "waxed" race sleds and most of the other stuff was at best clutched and studded trail sleds.

That being said, You have to be a 'special' person to drive a Cat.
I gave up on being "special' after 20 years of Cats. Way too much "special time" in my Garage or at the dealers. They are very fast but it is a good thing they have 9 lives. They need them.

Sorry for the Slam, but you were looking for opinion.

Now the dealer prepped sleds is another story. Lots of appeopriate posts Re Big Moose and their ability to make a Riceburner go slower in other threads.

BTW does anyone know whether the RX! was broken in or not . There was talk at one point of a 10 hour break in going to be done on a dyno before the shootout on the RX1.

Dave

BTW does anyone know whether the RX! was broken in or not . There was talk at one point of a 10 hour break in going to be done on a dyno before the shootout on the RX1.

Actually the engine was broke in on a dyno for several hours, they ran the engine in the chassis. Well, the exhaust melted part of the track and the track was not replaced before the shoot out, nice huh?

Back