• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pull the trigger on a 998 or 900R?

Great write up RH! I'm guilty of writing that quote.....I hope I didn't offend you, as my intention was only to spark a little humor.

The biggest reason the 998 is such a success is because of this forum. Well....let me rephrase.....because of the PEOPLE that make up this forum. Well.....let me rephrase again.....because of the knowledge, experience and integrity that the people on this forum possess and openly share. Most that are drawn to the 998 are gentlemen that have been riding for 50 years. They know a thing or two, because they've seen a thing or two. It is the sharing of this knowledge that make it a legendary machine.

In a few years, the era of the 998 will end and it's memory will float away in the breeze. I envision myself laying in bed in an old age home 30 years from now and getting a visit from my grandson's son. He says, "Hey Pep......you're gonna be proud of me.....I just bought an old sidewinder for $500 bucks!!". I smile, look over and say, "You wanna make that bich fly???"
AND, for those who maintain their own sled or sleds, both Yamaha and Yamacat, this site is a must! Thanks to the many that contribute to this site, and the help afforded in maintaining, and making these sleds more reliable ,and much quicker if you like. And I LIKE!

Yes, I understand the feel. However, with a 137 and a 1.25" track the top speed would go way up. Likely gain 10mph.
I don’t think you would gain that much, not 10mph. The Rave 850s are all slower than the comparable renegade 137 850s. It’s gotta be that pps suspension slowing them down.
And in general all 900r are slower and DOO speedos are way off. So I don’t think a 900r in a lynx 137 would be fast. The 900r feels good till about 140km/hr on the BRP gauge and no pull left. It is what it is unfortunately (or fortunately for those of us on 998s).

I’m actually shocked how bad the BRP speedos are, this winter a buddy was following me on a BRP and said he was hitting 160kms/hr trying to keep up to me, I never broke 140kms when riding with him. It’s really that bad!

My Rave 850 with the 1.5" track won't hit 100mph on GPS. My daughter walks right by me on her 2016 Viper Ltx LE all the way to 105mph. I do get the jump on her till about 75mph lol.

I don’t think you would gain that much, not 10mph. The Rave 850s are all slower than the comparable renegade 137 850s. It’s gotta be that pps suspension slowing them down.
And in general all 900r are slower and DOO speedos are way off. So I don’t think a 900r in a lynx 137 would be fast. The 900r feels good till about 140km/hr on the BRP gauge and no pull left. It is what it is unfortunately (or fortunately for those of us on 998s).

I’m actually shocked how bad the BRP speedos are, this winter a buddy was following me on a BRP and said he was hitting 160kms/hr trying to keep up to me, I never broke 140kms when riding with him. It’s really that bad!
Well i have the ability to watch the speedo on the iPad compared to my GPS and even 110 mph the two would bounce between the GPS reading higher than the Speedo and vice versa by 1mph. This was on the 24' it's pretty much spot on.

I own both a Yamaha 998 and a BRP 900R and feel that the comments that Richard Hodgins and number1kyster posted are spot on in comparing the differences between the two. Here's my impartial comments between the two powerplants...

My 998 is a '18 SW LTX-LE, stock tune with some clutching mods and a custom wide front end and Camso Storm 150 track that really rails the corners with very light steering. Love the smooth never ending power delivery of the 998.

My 900R is a '23 Lynx Xterrian, stock tune with some clutching and gearing mods and a Camso Hurricane 175 track. I really like the 3 driving mode switch that allows you to change the power delivery on the fly for different conditions. The motor is very smooth with a very linear power delivery and when in Sport mode really has a lively throttle response. This sled is way more playful and fun to ride in rough conditions than the SW.

They are both heavy sleds but due to the weight distribution the Lynx feels a lot lighter especially when moving it around in the shop or trailer and when the trails get beat up. The SW feels more planted to the trail especially at higher speeds and has the edge in cornering.

Stock for stock I'm not even going to say which one is faster, but the 900R in the Lynx will give the SW all it can handle from a dead stop to about 80mph. They are both very quick sleds, deceptively so in fact. The Lynx just has a fun factor that is missing in the SW.

Hard to go wrong with either powerplant, just depends on your personal preference and the conditions that you mostly ride in. When I know I'm in for a rough day on the trails the Lynx is my choice but for everything else I'll be on the SW.

All that being said I've got a 2025 SideWinder LTX-LE on order for next season. I wanted to make sure to have a Final Edition Yamaha to ride into the future :)

Last edited:
At 51 and less than a month after rotator cuff surgery I look at PS as a requirement these days. Currently on a Doo 900R but next year will be a PS Winder (80% sure) or currently (20% sure) a 858 CAT Catalyst in hopes the weight reduction allows me to handle it. The older you get that PS option looks better and better.

I own both a Yamaha 998 and a BRP 900R and feel that the comments that Richard Hodgins and number1kyster posted are spot on in comparing the differences between the two. Here's my impartial comments between the two powerplants...

My 998 is a '18 SW LTX-LE, stock tune with some clutching mods and a custom wide front end and Camso Storm 150 track that really rails the corners with very light steering. Love the smooth never ending power delivery of the 998.

My 900R is a '23 Lynx Xterrian, stock tune with some clutching and gearing mods and a Camso Hurricane 175 track. I really like the 3 driving mode switch that allows you to change the power delivery on the fly for different conditions. The motor is very smooth with a very linear power delivery and when in Sport mode really has a lively throttle response. This sled is way more playful and fun to ride in rough conditions than the SW.

They are both heavy sleds but due to the weight distribution the Lynx feels a lot lighter especially when moving it around in the shop or trailer and when the trails get beat up. The SW feels more planted to the trail especially at higher speeds and has the edge in cornering.

Stock for stock I'm not even going to say which one is faster, but the 900R in the Lynx will give the SW all it can handle from a dead stop to about 80mph. They are both very quick sleds, deceptively so in fact. The Lynx just has a fun factor that is missing in the SW.

Hard to go wrong with either powerplant, just depends on your personal preference and the conditions that you mostly ride in. When I know I'm in for a rough day on the trails the Lynx is my choice but for everything else I'll be on the SW.

All that being said I've got a 2025 SideWinder LTX-LE on order for next season. I wanted to make sure to have a Final Edition Yamaha to ride into the future :)
What is your opinion of the 900R throttle feel vs the SW? Richard talked about it in his post above and I personally have not purchased a 900R because of the poor (IMO) throttle response on the Doo. The addition of the cable on the R's with the Mach is an improvement but still not as responsive as the 998. I'm back on a '25 SRX next season. Always appreciate and respect your feedback and builds!

At 51 and less than a month after rotator cuff surgery I look at PS as a requirement these days. Currently on a Doo 900R but next year will be a PS Winder (80% sure) or currently (20% sure) a 858 CAT Catalyst in hopes the weight reduction allows me to handle it. The older you get that PS option looks better and better.
Yes, PS looks better and better as I climb age scale. Keep the faith though. I'm considerably older than you; have had 3 failed rotator cuff repair attempts, and now a complete right shoulder replacement (last year), also 2 attempts at repairing ruptured biceps on both arms, yet I still ride like hell. That's how much I love this sport.

Thank you for all the responses. I’ve owned a a 06 Attack, 12 Apex and my Dad still has a 05 RX Warrior. They’ve all been awesome sleds. Haven’t decided yet on what to buy…..Skidoo dealer is literally 2 mins away from the house. My closest Yamaha dealer sucks for parts and service and if I went Thundercat, Riot or RR their about a hour away.(so many Cat Dealers closed up shop or they gave up the dealership) Rode my friends 23 SW LTX LE and it was amazing. Been turning wrenches for a while so not afraid of doing all the chain case upgrades, drive shaft bearing, shift pads and I’m sure I’m missing some others.This site is super helpful and everyone is awesome. Thx

Thank you for all the responses. I’ve owned a a 06 Attack, 12 Apex and my Dad still has a 05 RX Warrior. They’ve all been awesome sleds. Haven’t decided yet on what to buy…..Skidoo dealer is literally 2 mins away from the house. My closest Yamaha dealer sucks for parts and service and if I went Thundercat, Riot or RR their about a hour away.(so many Cat Dealers closed up shop or they gave up the dealership) Rode my friends 23 SW LTX LE and it was amazing. Been turning wrenches for a while so not afraid of doing all the chain case upgrades, drive shaft bearing, shift pads and I’m sure I’m missing some others.This site is super helpful and everyone is awesome. Thx
This site + your willingness and abilities = who cares where the Yamaha dealer is.

Back