• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

An honest opinion on Pilot Skis ?

jds1000 said:
nytroguy said:
Reaper said:
Duel carbide pilots put the stock yammy ski's to shame.

For darting I'm sure you're right, but what about pushing in the corners?
Have you tried the Curves yet?

They carve awesome on anything other than loose snow and powder. You can't have it all you know. Either your carving on loose powder and darting on hardpack or the opposite, you can't have both.

So why not go with pilot 6.9's and at least get powder performance as well? My Nytro sinks like a tank on powder with the stockers. I primarily ride trails but need to be able to bang ditches as well. Any thoughts?

jds1000 said:
Riceburner said:
I have not tried Pilot's on a Yammie but I can see why the Doo guys are not fond of them on Doo's.

I spent 50 miles or so on an 08 xp 800 on the weekend. [Buddy and I switched sleds on several occassions.]

XP had Pilots with single 8 " carbide, front springs 2 up from soft, 120 1.75" studs.

The pilot ski was DANGEROUS in crusty powder. Worst ski in that condition I have ever experienced.

The ski darted something fierce on a well rutted narrow trail. Approached dangerous, but just nasty.

Following my Apex it darted as well on a regular groomed trail..

It was great leading on a normal trail. Good grip and no darting but steering was heavy compared with the Apex. [ Who would of thunk it?]

Compared to my Apex with 4.5" Deuce bars on stock shimmed skis and 96 studs, the XP with the Pilots was just awful in most conditions with the Pilots.

We have nothing to complain about compared to the 2008 Doo boys Pilot Ski handling IMHO.

Like I said. this is the 08 Version on a 08 Doo not a Yammie. Given that, I give them a big thumbs down.

Rice

Using Pilot skis with only one carbide is like only putting two spark plugs in your three cylinder engine. :o| The reason they don't dart is because of the 2 carbides. One carbide on Pilots won't be any better against darting than your stock Yamaha skis without the Deuce bars.

Someone should tell Ski-Doo. That is the way they supply them on the 08's. Carbides on the outers are optional. The customer has to drill the holes and buy and install the second set of carbides if he wants them. Don't kill the messenger. I did not design & deliver the XP set up for Ski's, Doo did.

I will go you one better in opinion. My experience is the Pilots on the XP with one runner are way worse than the stock Yammie set up.

BTW; even without the second runner per ski there are still two grooves per ski on the trail in snow. [only one on ice or concrete type hardpack though]

Update:

The Pilots were exceptional on the groomed trail. They do push a little in the loose snow, but are a vast overall improvement over the stock Yamaha skis.
In the powder they float a little bit better than the stockers.

I'm happy. A good mod.

i have a set of 6.9's for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested in upgrading. ski

CURVE XS

Reaper said:
so how are those CURVE XS.I love groomed trail rideing at high speeds some times so I want a ski to corner realy good and dont like skis that darts alot was thinking of getting a pair of CURVE XS so please be honest are these the right skis for me.

Back