• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another Oil Question

flyin-lowe

Veteran
I am going to do my first oil and filter change myself this year. My question is this. There is a Yammi dealer in town but they don't deal in snowmobiles, only bikes and ATV's. My sled has about 700 miles on it and I was going to use Yamalube oil (SP?) and a Yamaha filter. Is all the Yamalube the same or is it different for ATV as compared to the engine in my sled. I assumed it was the same but the guy at the dealer said he didn't know if it was the same or not so I didn't buy it. He also said he had an oil filter for my sled in stock. Is there an ATV or bike that takes this same filter that would cause him to stock this filter or is he just trying to sell me one.

Oil filter is the same "5gh-134400-00-00" part number for the rx1 thru the r1 streetbikes.

Alot of guys run different oils.

OW30 , 0W40 , A SYNTHETIC LIKE AMSOIL OR EQUAL IS BEST

NAPA 1358 GOLD FILTER IS THE SAME.

Yamaha uses this filter in alot of bikes and sleds and atv's. Fram makes one also. Its like 6 bucks at Walmart. I believe Fram makes them for Yamaha.

use a quality brand 5-30 oil but i would not use synthetic yet, wait till you have at least 2000mi as the engine is not completely broke in yet.

grader said:
use a quality brand 5-30 oil but i would not use synthetic yet, wait till you have at least 2000mi as the engine is not completely broke in yet.

DITTO! ;)!

Sounds like Ill just get a good 5w30 and the Yamaha filter. I looked in the online service manual that someone emailed me and could not find the engine oil capacity. How much will she hold.

your sled should hold around 4 quarts and your going to have to run at least an sae5w-30 or higher ! amsoil does make a great oil which covers a wider viscosity range and is all around better for your sled!!! lower running tempuratures easier starting in cold weather, better protection over those summer months and it will deffinitely keep that motor clean for you!

Oil Change and fill with filter

1 litre in the motor and 2 in the oil tank, and you will be set to go...After you have warmed it up and waited for 5 minutes, check. Should be in the cross hatched area of the dip stick...

Back