• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

any 250+ pound riders on a nytro(should I trade my viper in)

rancidjo

Expert
I am almost certain of trading my 02 viper ER w/136" ripsaw for an 06 or 07 nytro. Looking for some feedback

I'd be pushing 300lbs with gear...just wondering if I could set it up for my wieght.

I ride 50/50 on/off trail.... with each year venturing more off trail. Is the nytro a capable off trail machine (i know I may have to put on deeper or longer track) If I get one I will be putting on C&A outlaws, this should help the floatation.

when on trail I ride moderatly hard...i would imagine the nytro would be fine for this, right?

my friend is snowchecking a new 08 nytro, so i too would like to go 4 stroke but can't afford a new one. What I really want to know is people's opinions if this sounds like a decent sled for me and that I will not be disipointed (especially in the ride and power) coming off my viper

Look forward to your thoughts on this matter

Im a big guy, the sled defidently holds its own. The rear clicker shock is a tad soft, alot of people have been re-valving there shocks making them more stiff. For off trail, its not to bad, the low end torque really pulls that front end out of the snow. Wheelies arent a problem with this sled. I have close to 3000 miles on my 06 and the skis have only seen 2500miles of that haha. C@A skis do, the job I have a set of them on my sled until I hit a rock and ruined them. Its a great sled, good looks, great gas milage, fox floats. Good comfortable rider foward. Im 6'1 I added FLY risers 7" riser block fits perfectly. the stock bars could be a tad taller about 2 inches more. If you have any more questions do ask or PM.

-James

i'm only 5'10" so the risers should be ok for me...if not it's easy enough to raise them a bit

I would imagine there are stiffer springs available if i find it undersprung

If I was to buy a stock nytro with under 1500miles on it can i just jump on and ride it for the season...or are there any major issues that need to be delt with first. The only reason I say this is my budget will be stretched a little tight for the first season if I dicide to get one. I have been reading about the idler wheels and hyfax wear, is this a major concern? it's said on here to replace wheels with kimpex ones, and would fully clipping and putting extroverts on help the hyfax issue (by being able to run the track a bit looser)

Also what top speeds are you guys seeing (please state if it is speedo or GPS/radar)

would really like to hear from some one that came off a viper to compare preformance & handling or any one that rides with vipers

The 08 Nytro is a jump sled so it should be able to handle the weight. I guess you could wait till they come out with a 136 like I am or buy it now and get an extention kit.

well i have done lots of reading and answered most of my own questions...but i do still welcome your input to try and sway me on to a nytro

Sled Dog said:
The 08 Nytro is a jump sled so it should be able to handle the weight. I guess you could wait till they come out with a 136 like I am or buy it now and get an extention kit.

thanks - but looking at the 06/07 , tight budget limits me to a used sled

what about getting a 05 vector or rage and putting the nytro ergos on it....are the shocks on the nytros worth the extra money....any other reasons for a nytro over a vector/rage...as i have seen a few vector/rage with the nytro ergos already on....what are your thoughts guys

6'- 260lbs w/o gear. Didn't put alot of miles on this year but when I did it held its own. It is just a different riding style from the way you do on the 02. Once you get used to the difference, great fun.

rancidjo said:
what about getting a 05 vector or rage and putting the nytro ergos on it....are the shocks on the nytros worth the extra money....any other reasons for a nytro over a vector/rage...as i have seen a few vector/rage with the nytro ergos already on....what are your thoughts guys

260 lbs , o5 vector with raised seat and bars , and no problems . I would get the rage over the vector ,better ride, also there are some deals on nytros now.

235lbs no gear on here. Stock rear suspension sucks!! I added fatboy springs @ $120 a spring, and it only marginally helped. Stock shocks suck! They need to be valved way stiffer. I can bottom out cruising with my g/f. This was her first year riding, so ya know we didnt ride hard. Slide wear wasnt bad for me, no idler issues, had some track ratchet problems, but I think I got it fixed. Motor was flat-out awesome! Front suspension is VERY tippy. If I had known then what I know now, I would have NOT bought it.

P.S. I will sell mine if I get the right price. I just cant take a big hit on it.

Based on your description I would recommend you look at a sled with a Monoshock and plan to both revalve ($50) and respring ($100) it to set it up for you.

The ProActive CK found in the Nytro, while much more durable, currently doesn't have torsion springs available that will raise the rear ride height for heavier riders. To compensate you'll need to crank up the shock and install anti-bottomers to keep it from bottoming out and you'll end up with a rougher ride.

In my opinion the ProActive CK really only has springs available that are ideal for riders roughly in the 100-185lb range. Any heavier and you'll be riding lower than ideal. Hopefully Yamaha will come out with more torsion spring options next season.

If you plan on really pounding on the sled, get the Nytro as it is definitely more durable - otherwise I would suggest you look at Vectors with a monoshock.

The other thing to consider is the ergonomics of the 06-07 Vector are definitely more of the "cruiser" type (as you know).

Both the Vectors and Nytros should be pretty much good to go if you get a lower mileage one. Fuel economy is excellent along with the entire drivetrain.

For idler wheels it looks like Yamaha might have new ones available for 08 that use a similar rubber design to the 04s (which were very durable) and still use the 6005 bearings used in the 05-07s (I'm not positive, but that's what they looked like to me at the 08 show).

For hyfax wear, if the snow conditions are decent there shouldn't be any trouble, but if the snow is bad you might need to do some work.

In my experience with the Monoshock (06-07 Vector, 06 Apex, 05 RX-1) you don't really need to do anything to improve the hyfax wear.

In my experience with the ProActive CK (07 RTX) in fairly poor snow conditions I had to both install an extra optional pair of Yamaha idler wheels and install extrovert drivers along with a fully punched and clipped track. Most people haven't had this much trouble though and after this my RTX is extremely good with hyfax wear (much better than a stock monoshock).

rancidjo - buddah2 on the site here, has a nytro, and is a bigger guy, who is retired, and he loves his. He is all stock. Give him a shout.

srt 20 i hope you aren't ridin 2 up the nytro is not made or designed for that. apt to tweak tunnel if you hit hard enough. love mine took a little air out of the front shocks and now it rides alot flatter. as for the the rear i keep it on the middle position on the cam and back out a few turns on the clicker. almost 700 mi on it and no slide issues or wheel issues.

I run about 6'2 and 300# and found that my 07 Nytro is a great ride. I have room for my legs to be comfortable and my knees don't get sore from riding long rides of 200+ miles. Lots of power out of the hole. Front end stands are no problem and jumping snow banks and drifts are a blast. The risers on the handle bars are awesome too. I did put the Vector windshield on for more protection from the cold winds. Even with my big butt on it, the mileage blows away other brands I ride with. I ride with a couple of Apex's and have no problem keeping up until we get to real long straight stretches.

Back