• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any ? on track change before I forget?...I just finished.

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
About 2 hrs...but need to button up a few things yet. Next one would be about an hour if I had (adult) help :D
getpicture.php

getpicture.php

getpicture.php

getpicture.php

I'll be doing mine shortly. It's a long track but should be the same. Any lessons learned? The chain case and the set screw on the drive axle sound like the toughtest part.Boy thast BLUE sled is sure fine looking :wink: powder BLUE

Thanks, Blue! I'm kinda partial to it myself...
Here's a little 'method' for my own future reference...glad if it's of any use.

Remove side panels
Remove parking brake. The 4mm (allen size) screws may not want to turn, as I had to prick punch one while my son pulled on the allen wrench, to keep it from rounding off. Use a good wrench.
Remove the brake, and lay on the cylinder head
Remove brake disc and note shims and washers
Remove collar between disc and cover. Torx head set screw-T20
Remove cover and let drain
With the track on the floor, loosen bolt and nut holding sprockets. You may need someone to hold the driven as there is no brake to lock the shafts.
Loosen the driven pulley bolt also at this time
Loosen chain tension, remove roller assembly, and screw tensioner bolt back in so it doesn't hit the coolant hoses when removing the chaincase.
You will need a good feel, as you are removing two slide fits at the same time.
Remove sprockets, chain, and note spacers
Remove the rear suspension. I loosen the track, loosen the transfer rod bolts, and then take out the 6 bolts, rear to front.
Unbolt the chaincase, and slide it gently off, watching the oil seals.
Remove the driven pulley, speedo gear, and bearing retainer plate.
Loosen the torx screws on the PTO side axle bearing.
I sprayed them with blaster, but they turned easy anyway.
Slide the bearing off the axle...mine came off as I was moving it toward the chaincase side, but I think you can slide the axle into the PTO side hole and grab it with your fingers.
Move axle into chaincase hole, while disengaging from track lugs. Pull the PTO side of axle toward you and remove.
Work the bearing on and off the shaft, so it installs easy..I put some grease on it too.
On reassembly, use 242 blue loctite on the two bearing torx screws, and on the spacer torx screw behind the disc brake.
Also loctite the lower sprocket bolt.
Cant' think of anything else, as it went pretty easily.
Hope it helps a little.

Thanks! I printed your instructions and I will be using them soon. I thought you'd get more action then this on this subject though. Good luck. Powder Blue

Thanks Sumpbuster, I'll be referencing your instructions too when I remove my track. I already have the skid removed and just need to remove the drive axle.

Great! Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, please post. I wrote that up afterwards, and changed a few things that I did, to make it easier, as I usually do this stuff alone.

Back