• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Electrical Help please

I've had my battery on a tender while cleaning up my 2020 ltx se...its new to me and has only 300 miles on it. When i bought it the PO told me he put in a new battery due to something always drawing on it...obviously a "stink eye" moment. Fast forward to today and as I was hooking up the negative cable from the sled I saw a small spark...I haven't gotten into much yet but researching here shows a few known issues:

1. Worn wire under fuse box...already checked before and added thin foam to prevent an issue
2. Worn wire/harness on PTO side...checked and nothing noted
3. Reverse harness unplugged...this was apart but back together and OP had issue before
4. Gauge Cluster unplugged...its secure
5. Stuck Relays...have not checked
6. Bad Voltage Regulator from factory...have not started sled due clutches being off so I cant do a simple gauge check yet.

Any other things I missed or can cause an issue? your help is much appreciated!
I added a battery cutoff switch on my Viper as I upgraded the headlights with HID blubs and they draw power from the battery so the cutoff switch stopped the drain and a simple turn of the cutoff key and were good to go.

Sled is back together and got a chance to warm it up in the yard at least with a few inches of snow. Voltage showing on Guage cluster only showing 11.8-12.5 volts.

Most likely the voltage regulator. I'm going to pull it out and do the test that was posted. Any ideas besides that? Stator would be next I assume.

Sled is back together and got a chance to warm it up in the yard at least with a few inches of snow. Voltage showing on Guage cluster only showing 11.8-12.5 volts.

Most likely the voltage regulator. I'm going to pull it out and do the test that was posted. Any ideas besides that? Stator would be next I assume.

It sounds like the regulator.

It sounds like the regulator.
Did test and #'s are all over the place and showing bad...it looks like a few options are available. 1. OEM 2. SP1 Aftermarket or 3. RMStator Aftermarket. Pricing looks about equal on all 3. the OEM I just pulled out doesnt look like its sealed very well?

This is on a sled with only 300kms?

If you look up the regulator it seems the number does change up...
This is sometimes a sign there was an issue with them.

Last edited:
There is a known issue with voltage regulators and draws. I've replaced a number of regulators that don't charge properly and have seen a voltage draw caused by the regulator as well. I'd stick OEM Yamaha if possible.

The replacement regulator is now back to the ones used on the apexs and vectors, the newer sidewinder ones were made cheaper to save money but replacing them under warranty didn't seem to save anyone money, so back to the good ones. Another highly educated management decision with the same results that are putting them out of the SMB business.

I don't see where the part numbers indicate that the Apex/Vectors voltage regulators are now being supplied for the Sidewinders. Even on RM Stators website they only show one part number for a replacement regulator for the 998s whereas they show many different regulators for the Apexs and none of the part numbers overlap. I actually have the anodized Lithium Ion battery specific regulator in my Apex and would like to install the same in my SW if I knew it would be a match with no issues.

Back