• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

any one tried nylon backers whit their studs

yves F 7

Pro
Hi i'm tinking of studing my track for next winter and i was wondering if the nylon backers do the job,do they last? or brake off,thanks for your time.

It's the only way I'll go. Never a problem with breakage or pull throughs. I use the angled ones, you drill the hole so the angled part is up against a nub.

1.25 lug 144" Ripsaw track on ’05 RS Venture

In 2005 put on
118 Woody's Gold Digger Traction Master 5/16 1.325, square aluminum backers, regular nuts. $310.
2900 miles.
Bent: 4
Broken: 38
Pull thru: 0

In 2006 replaced all Woody’s with
118 Shade Tree Stainless Steel 2 year warranty 5/16 1.40, Air Lite 45* angle plastic backers, regular nuts. $191.
1900 miles in a worse snow year.
Bent: 0
Broken: 0

2007, 2000 more miles.
Bent: 4 slightly
Broken: 0

Studs - Shadetreepowersports.com
Backers – Denniskirk.com

Well,I don't kbnow anyone that rides harder than me.I trach the plastic backers.I break alot of them and don't use them any more.But some of my buds that don't ride as aggressive don't have any problems.We have used fastrac backers and saber's which is now concord.I use only aluminum and bend a dozen or so each year.I guess it comes down to if your a real hard rider don't use plastic.

Anyone know if any of the plastic ones are better than the other ones?

Also, what about the size helping/hurting? ie "xl" vs standard? I debate whether bigger is really better since it would seem to have more length to get cracked (like a 5' 2x4 being held up by the last inch flexes more than a 1' 2x4 being held up the same way). In theory since there's more surface area, it would be less likely to have a tear out though....right?

So, assuming my thoughts are correct, which technique is better? I'm guessing it's a lot better to replace a broken backer than to tear a chunk out of the track.

I had them on my Viper. I never had any problems with them. Go with the Fastrac ones. There are some cheaper ones out there which you should stay away from.

Thank you guys,i'm not hard on my sleds,even whit my 150+ hp F 7,i never lost or bent a stud,i will try them,i will be looking for good deal this summer hope i find one.

I have a ton of miles on a couple different sleds using them also. Have had very good luck with them. I think the key to being succesfull with them is to be carefull not to overtighten them when installing.

ahicks said:
I have a ton of miles on a couple different sleds using them also. Have had very good luck with them. I think the key to being succesfull with them is to be carefull not to overtighten them when installing.

^^^ yes I belive they last better if not over tightened. I ran plastic backers on my viper with no problems....mine were saber with over 2500 hard miles

ahicks said:
What kind of torque should be right?

yves F 7 said:
ahicks said:
What kind of torque should be right?
It depends on what style backer you get they all have there torque specs.Overtightening the plastic one's can cause alot to break when you a ice chunk or rock,etc

In 04 I had them on my warrior. I broke quite a few of the backers. I have had better luck with aluminum ones. I have 3300 miles on my attak and have not bent a single stud or aluminum backer . The track howevr is a different story,I noticed I have a fairly large slash in it, large enough that I probably will have to get a new track.

I've had both good and bad luck with them. I had them on my rev last year and put on over 2000 kms with no problems. This year I put them on my Nytro and after 1000 kms they started breaking and cracking on me. Replaced them with aluminum and will never go back. I had a few buddies using them this year as well and they were cracking and breaking. Maybe it was the conditions this year but from now on I'll stick with aluminum.

I have had good success with the plastic angled against the rib and horrible with the round plastic.

Presently I have round alluminum, I like the looks never out of line, No pull throughs but not a ton of miles YET,,,,,,,,,,,,, this is going to be a big mile year IF IT SNOWS

Yamadoo

Back