• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any valve ticking on RX1 engines?

xcsp

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Curious if anyone has experienced any valve ticking in the RX1 engines.

Reason I ask is it seems that the Yamaha R1 bike engines had some, and now SOME of the FJR 1300 sport-touring motorcycles have had the problem, which seems to be mainly the exhaust valves and guides. No one has figured out how or why the problem in the bikes exists, so I am curious to know if anyone has experienced this with the RX1.

It is funny you should ask this. I am not a tech and rarely have my head under the hood, but was working on the sled this weekend and noticed a slight ticking sound. I have never heard it before. I hope this is normal. I will keep on eye on this and this thread for any more developments.

I have a new 05 that has the ticking. When I was at the dealer's the other day I mentioned this. We went outside and started 3 other's he had just set-up. They all ticked! So he thought this would be normal.

Ticking

I don't want to cause any alarm or create any worry to those of you who notice a ticking in the motor as I agree some is normal, just that if it becomes louder after several thousand miles, I, myself would wonder if it really is normal. On the Yamaha cycles, dealers and Yamaha claimed it was "normal" but seems there may be more to it. Those of us on an FJR forum have been trying to find out what the cause is. At first it was an issue with the exhaust valve guides, which there seems to be an updated guide as well as the valves themselves. But even bikes that had teh updated valves developed the problem, so what gives??

I'm seriously considering a new Yamaha RS or RX, but am a bit hesitant right now.

My friend has a new Warrior and has the ticking also. I guess we will have to wait and see about problem's. Go for it. The 05's seem to have finally got it together. Good luck! :D

Lazybastard

It may be NOTHING, but just curious as these engines are derived from the bike engines!

This motor has a mechanical valve train, therefore there is a slight clearance between the camshaft and the valve. The slight ticking you hear is when this clearance is closed up when the valve opens. The noise is inherant with the design. Why do you think most late model car engines use some type of hydraulic lash adjuster, it reduces this clearance to zero and the noise goes away.

Ticking

I understand there will be some ticking of the valve train, but what I am referring to is if anyone had an issue with it getting louder, showing signs of wear of the valve guides as some of us bike owners had experienced.

Some had gotten to the point that oil was seaping from the mufflers!

Valve clearance first scheduled maintenance is at 25000 miles. There are a few around that are approaching that and reporting no engine related issues. The only engine failures reported have been turbo related or caused by landing on hard objects and breaking the crankcase open.

Not all that long ago on bikes, 6 or 12k were common intervals for checking AND adjusting valves. In fact the first one was sometimes at 1000 miles. But because of advancements in engineering, manufacturing and metalurgy you are seeing them way out there. That said, If I had a louder noise in the valve train, I would check them. Has any body done that on the FJR 1300's? Should be real easy to do on the sleds.

I have found that just .oo1-.oo2" can be noticeably louder, but that little is always within the spec range.
I just barely hear the valve train on my vector.

Valve adjustment/check

The first valve adjustment/check on the FJR is 26k. A bit easier to get at in the sled vs. the bike. And yes they have checked the valve clearance. What they found is that the valve guide wears-in the center and the valve stem can move side to side some, enough to make a nasty noise.

I was going to add a link here from a site with the info on that particular problem for those who may be interested but that'll have to wait as they needed to remove the info.(temporarily?)

I would be curious to hear of how the valve checks go on the high mile RX sleds-would hope that they are within spec yet at that mileage.

I'm also curious about this since I have notable valve noise...
If I have my hood closed and listen closely I can hear the ticking when I stand in front of the sled. It only has 2800 miles on it.

If you feel you have a valve problem, get out your wrenches and check the clearances. Then you know. But, LB is right. The reason you hear them is because the engine is so smooth and quiet. That is one of the benefits of a 4 stroke, especially a 4 holer.

Back