• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone balance throttle bodies???

Firedawg1998

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 srx
Hurricane PM bundle

2012 apex xtx
2012 vector gt
Funny I can't find any videos or statements about procedure. It's seems many people in the motorcycle world do this. A few good videos on the fj1300 but nothing on the apex. Im still trying to remove as much buzzing in the hands as I can. Figured a nice throttle body balance would do the trick. I ordered a pro motion 4 cyl balancer. Spring time I'll try it on the 1000 vstrom but in regards to the apex I guess the procedure is a little fuzzy. Can anyone confirm that this procedure is in the manual as I don't currently have access to one...
I'm figuring the master one will be painted like most bikes has one adjustment screw painted to indicate which one to match. Map sensor unplugged...?
I figured, hook it up. Warm it up. Balance to the master...... Any info appreciated....
Should I verify the previous owner ever played with the co settings on the fuel in the pod?? Can you still do that on the 2012s? If so. Would factory be zero.????
Just trying to reduce the vibs and cure a throttle hangup at around 3500rpm..... Machine is smooth upto and after that range but only when I add throttle and then the rpms jump up. Does the exact same thing with the primary off. For a year I was trying to sort out a clutch engagement issue but that was never the case.
Thanks again.

I've done throttle body sync on both my '07 and '15 Apex. Procedure is in the factory service manual, and it takes a bit of hunting to find it in there since the manual covers several models. It's relatively straightforward and not much different from doing it on a motorcycle, so if you've done the procedure in the past you won't find any nasty surprises. That said, I'd still follow the factory service manual to make sure you get it right.

Setting the fuel settings back to nominal before you start out? I would. Here again, follow service procedures in the FSM.

What you describe as throttle hang up could be a lot of things. I'd probably run Sea Foam cleaner through one full tank and change plugs before starting any of the above. The Iridium plugs are expensive but seem to make for smoother running.

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. I pulled the clutch as I was gonna inspect in thoroughly for a missing rivet or broken roller due to a vibration that sort of came out of no where. That's when I realized it still did it with the clutch off. So I cleaned all the air filter, tested the coils. Changed the plugs which looked aged but okay. Went with stock plugs from the dealer. I inspected the donuts which were fine but the cover over the flex pipes was loose. That all seemed to remove half the bar vibes. Motor mounts all tight and seem fine. Vibration is when sitting still and just idled up to move. I have the bop soft start spring and all else is stock. I ran one tank of Lucas injector cleaner and I'm on my second tank with sea foam now.. all hoses look brand new and of course I only run supreme. I'll have to purchase an online manual in guess. Up until now I've just used my handiness and internet but I trust you that the procedure should be manual followed. Just glad it can be done and not specific to dealer tricks.
Thanks again.

Sounds like you have it in hand. The only thing I could add is check spark plug gaps carefully and also look closely at the caps over the spark plugs. Sometimes they get dirty or the clip breaks inside resulting in a poor connection to the plug. A bit of dielectric grease inside those caps is a good idea to prevent problems. Of course, any real major problem should have showed up as a discolored plug and you didn't see that. TB sync in order. Good luck!!

One last thought - have you checked the EXUP valve? Broken cable or malfunctioning/out of adjustment exhaust valve would cause off idle response issues. And you would not see that on a plug check.

If you become a VIP member, you have access to the VIP section and can download the service manuals from the tech section there.
I became a lifetime member because I got so much info and help on here, from so many people and sources, I felt it was worth it.
Just a small token of appreciation to show others that I support this forum and all the information included on it.

Great stuff...
I did dielectric grease all the boots, and plug caps when I was in there. As well I applied some to every connection I could as well as 6 or 8 grounding blocks which looked all shiny and perfect...
I researched the exup check but without heat i was unable to remove the 3 cover bolts. May try again with just a small torch I guess... it's one thing I was worried about sure.
Didnt gap my plugs but they were all equal just by being able to barely slide by thumb nail equally between each. Not very scientific though, lol
I'm going to go check my pod co settings and set up the clock that reset since I grabbed all the grounding blocks. When I shove it outside to warm up. It's about 3 feet from my garage door. Dont remember an issue last year but this year it started to cover my door with small spot of black, I know they dump extra fuel in when cold but dont remember that last year. It's all over..Hmmmmm.

So much slush up here. I lost 4 small idler wheel caps just on the last two rides. I bet those are cheap....lol

Okay. I VIP'd myself. Let's see what I can find cause so far I cant locate that connection block on the left side of the delta box to ground that wire to inspect my co settings...

Ring free seems hard to find here. Temporirly unavailable when I go on the sites. Vibrations started recently but not last year with stock plugs so I just put stockers back in hoping for last years performance.

I had a throttle hangup issue last season. The throttle return springs were actually gunked up pretty bad. Cleaned them up with some WD40 and good as new.

Ya, I know the way I started hang up sounds like it hold throttle and then idles down. I get your fix. Glad that worked out for ya. Mine is the other way. As I slowly apply throttle it it smooth to slowly idle up, even with the primary off. But as I approach 3500rpm roughly it stops increasing. Then I continually apply throttle slowly. Motor hesitates, cant tell if its lean or rich. Then it jumps up and it smooth all the way upto whatever rpm I choose. Coming down is smooth until idle. A real pain while your waiting for the wife to catch up then with each hesitation I get bonked with my sons helmet Into mine. Almost a reason to sell. Makes for a miserable ride. It sure wrecked last weekends ride. I was really short fused with my wife's 25mph trail speed.

seafoam is availible at canadian tire and most auto parts stores.

Oh ya. Plenty of seafoam round here. Use it regularly in all my small engines. Also had good luck with Lucas injector cleaner. Just no ring free near here.

firedawg1998, check your pm's.

seafoam is not helping de crud the sled?

Back