• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone else ever lose a slide?

Wow, this seems to be quite an issue. Apparently it's happening to a lot of people. Now I'll have to check mine regularly.

Are tracks spin like crazy when your on full throttle,having a looser track will cause track to RIPPLE flying around the DRIVE COGS then going up between COGS/RAIL catching the RAIL ENDS and or SLIDES ripping them off/sheering screws.cold plastic is only so strong after getting whacked by cold steal clips so many times.i tightened my track some and it stays away from that area more offen now.what ROCKERDAN did is what i have done first time i changed slides on any yamaha makes for a easy/quick removal of bolt,stronger too..

Grimm said:
ApexerER said:
Yes, about 65 miles, maybe a little farther.........It was in about 18" of groomed powder and believe it or not did very little damage. I don't plan on replacing the rail....

How are the track clips?

Clips look fine to me...no worse for wear...

I made two stops today, one at the Yamaha dealer for new slides and one at the skidoo dealer for their slide bolts and nyloc nuts. Paul the parts guy was really letting me have it for buyin skidoo parts for my Yamaha. He said he would need to repackage them and double the price. (I couldn't disagree, Yamaha parts are crazy) Any way i got the bolts out changed the slides and fixed it like in the picture. Hopefully i won't have that problem again. Now it is the way it should have been from the factory. Just like Skidoo and Polaris. Maybe Cats are that way too, IDK i have never owned one....Ready for the trails again :Rockon:

Happened on my RX1 when I still had it while crossing Lake Gogebic. Made it the Hoop and left my sled there with my wife while I rode back to Land O Lakes and got the trailer and truck and picked her up. By the time I had gotten back, she was drunk. A good day of riding for me though..... lol

Last night talked to an old timer snowmobiler and said when they used to race they would stop after a heat and have to kick snow on their slides and track because their slides would get so hot they would melt right to the track. Then when they when to move it after the race the entire skid was locked up tighter than a nuns ...... I wonder if that has happened to anyone with newer sleds or newer slides/hyfax.

sledneck22 said:
Last night talked to an old timer snowmobiler and said when they used to race they would stop after a heat and have to kick snow on their slides and track because their slides would get so hot they would melt right to the track. Then when they when to move it after the race the entire skid was locked up tighter than a nuns ...... I wonder if that has happened to anyone with newer sleds or newer slides/hyfax.

My slides stuck to my track clips last year after a high speed bare ice run. I think that is actually pretty common if there isn't much snow. You know it happened because you can smell the slides when you stop...

sledneck22 said:

What do you consider OLDTIMER and be careful some of us are a bit long in the tooth.

Hey wait a minute Sparta, WI isn't that where the the SANTA lost his reindeer the other night? Well at least you guys made the news. :tg:

It happened on my '05 RX1, screw loosen and a clip broke it off and the HYFAX backed off 1/2 way and bent back up in suspension...I check SCREWS regularly to make sure their nice and tight.

Alternate fix for broken slide screw

Yes. I lost a slide too. Similar situation where screw had loosened, backed out, and then got sheared off and broke in threaded aluminum rail.

Unfortunately, the tapped rail is soft aluminum and paper thin where the machine screw taps in to hold the slide. I fixed it with a stainless threaded insert made by EZ-Lok.

http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsMetal/index.html

You can pick these up at Fastenal or order from them and they will have from another location in 1-2 days. You can specify the internal and external diameter and threads. I matched the internal threads to the Yamaha factory machine screw. I cant recall exact size (M6 x 1.0 ????)

The process is easy if you have basic skills and buy or borrow a tap to tap the rail for the insert. I had to: 1) drill out broken screw 2) drill rail with a larger bore for insert 3) tap rail for external diameter and threads of EZ-Lok insert 4) install insert with screwdriver and secure with RED loctite.

I ended up fixing the other rail with an EZ-Lok as well. The threaded rail got boogered up and crossthreaded during a slide change - crappy set up with threading into soft aluminum rail. Both are holding well after approx 2500 miles.

I recommend that you always use blue loctite on machine screw to hold the slide as a safety precaution.

Sorry my machine is in storage or I would send Pics. Hope this helps.

I had a friend park his sled at the bar after running down the lake and when he came out the sled wouldn't move. The slides were severely stuck to the clips. We had to pry the track off the slides to get it to move again.

I just changed the slides in my wifes 04 xc 700 and its like our yammis. There is no nut on it, just a torx head screw screwed into threaded aluminum. Looks like they are all cheaping out on us...

Yamadog said:
sledneck22 said:

What do you consider OLDTIMER and be careful some of us are a bit long in the tooth.

Hey wait a minute Sparta, WI isn't that where the the SANTA lost his reindeer the other night? Well at least you guys made the news. :tg:

Haha well actually the new story I recall was Santa and his little helper elf were booze cruising through town when they got pulled over and the elf got a DUI and Santa got an open intox haha. Merry fricken Christmas for those two this year.

As for old timer, He is 75 and still rides his RX-1 to be hell. He was one that first started oval racing in the area back in the early 70s. So he has pretty much seen it all for snowmobiles.

Back