• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone grind a tooth or 2 off their speedo pickup?

speedo

the reson for this is corret the speedo reading. by cutting two teeth off of the gear corret,s the readiing . i got the same affect by switching to 10 tooth drivers.

speedo

yes one tooth of make,s it closer but two off seem,s to be the ticket. note that this throw,s off the odometer reading,s at the same time . makes the odo read low.

I don't understand this....how can a STOCK sled show the speed be HIGH and the Odometer be correct when both readings come from 1 sensor? That means there is a calculation being done elsewhere to calculate the 2 separately? Doesn't make sense.

The 2 calculations have got to be derived from each other somewhere within the pod's electronics.

I would think that logically if 1 part of the calculation is off, then they are both off....UNLESS Yamaha made the speedo read high on purpose and change the calculation of speed vs. distance to compensate for the difference.

Sorry guys....just thinking out loud here.

we know from experience that the odometers were correct compared to all the other brands we ride with, cat, poo, doo. taking 1 tooth off read about 6-7 mph high at 100mph. taking 2 teeth off was close to right on, but both these mods lower the odometer reading. the 10 tooth drivers give a correct speed reading, but also give a lower odo. reading. i read something years ago when the rx1 was being developed that the proto sleds had a switch or button on the guage pod that could be changed from 8 to 9 to 10 for the size of the drivers. black john and i run the 10 tooth for the reduced approach angle and the reduced rolling resistance, as well as more gear options, the speedo accuracy is just an added bonus.

rxwonder said:
I don't understand this....how can a STOCK sled show the speed be HIGH and the Odometer be correct when both readings come from 1 sensor? That means there is a calculation being done elsewhere to calculate the 2 separately? Doesn't make sense.

The 2 calculations have got to be derived from each other somewhere within the pod's electronics.

I would think that logically if 1 part of the calculation is off, then they are both off....UNLESS Yamaha made the speedo read high on purpose and change the calculation of speed vs. distance to compensate for the difference.

Sorry guys....just thinking out loud here.

You are correct. The speedo error is higher at higher speeds (to try to make people slow down) while the odometer reads correctly.

T

Why doesnt someone use a G.P.S unit while they are riding to see what the real differance is throught the entire speed range?
we all know that snowmobile speedometers are out to lunch, but by how much is the question. I would do this but my gps does not work any longer. this would also confirm the odometer as well. do the two teeth that you grind off have to be next to each other or 180 degrees apart? does the speedo jump when it reads the dead spot(missing teeth).

Back