• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone tried the Powerbloc 80 primary clutch?

RSVentureCDN

My clutch just destroyed itself and i'm thinking about aftermarket clutches. It rattled a lot since it was new. The CV-Tech Powerblock 80 seems to have a good reputation on teh doos, but i don't see anyone talking about using them on Yamaha. Anyone had experience with these?

2009 RS Venture.

RSVentureCDN said:
My clutch just destroyed itself and i'm thinking about aftermarket clutches. It rattled a lot since it was new. The CV-Tech Powerblock 80 seems to have a good reputation on teh doos, but i don't see anyone talking about using them on Yamaha. Anyone had experience with these?

2009 RS Venture.

Met a fellow on the trail who had one on an Apex LTX and really liked it. He was actually a sled mechanic and said he has put them on the 3cyls also with good results. He told me he puts them on any Yamaha that needs a complete clutch overhaul as it is cheaper. I would/ will consider this in the future as Yamaha clutch parts are too expensive and the 3cyls wear clutches out far sooner than I feel they should.

I know some ski doo guys that swear by em.

Just curious but what do you consider 3cyl wearing the clutch out sooner than they should?
I currently have almost 17,000 km on my nytro, sled runs like new. Clutch has never been rebuilt, no slop, original rollers and bushings, STM clutch kit added few years ago.
Interested in the pb80 though if gains over yamaha clutch are available.

there is a harmonic from the engine that wears the parts out faster on the 3 cyl 4 stroke motors. the 2 cyl 2 stroke yammies where the same way.

I'm hoping to someday turn all you guys into PB80 lovers! :)
Someone PLEASE try one!

The only sled I had bad luck with the PB80 was a 2006 800R, there's something about harmonics on some, not all of the Doo 800's. It worked fine on my 2009 800 Ptec

They are starting be used in production on some Poo's & CAT's in the past few years.

I was under the impression they were for lower hp sleds. Polaris uses them only on the 550 fan.

Nope they offer them for just about anything.
In fact I just talked to a guy about one for his Viper he put a turbo on.
Plenty of 1200 turbo's running the PB80, I even have a dual spring sitting here for one :)

Chad.
I am now on a winder now and have been thinking on a PB80 OD for it. Will that dual spring take 280-300 HP? Pm me a price for it please.
Thanks, Mike

Working on it now Mike, I'd love for you to try one and I think they'll say Okay on HP, but I want it straight from the "horses mouth"
Did you see the dual spring turbo clutch I post on DooTalk? Let me look and see if I can drum them up for the posting here, it's very interesting!

BTW I've been talking with engineering in Drummondville about the new spring cup failures (mostly Cudney's issue, but 1 or 2 others possibly) and anyway they have a newly redesigned cup with extra gussets built in. I'm trying to get my hands on one...or at least a picture!
We also still have the old style cast looking spring cups available and I'm trying to find out if those can be used on the newer V2 clutches.

I'll post what I find. Chad

Attachments

• PB80 Turbo photo 2.jpg
    PB80 Turbo photo 2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 664
  • pb80 turbo spring seat.jpg
    pb80 turbo spring seat.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 655
Getting ready to give the PB 80 a whack on my 2012 Apex. I'm not a clutch wizard, but I will try and give my honest feedback this winter as I run next to an identical sled with all stock clutching.

In addition to the PB, I have the Thunder Products "Orange" spring wound @ 3-3.

20171216_070130.jpg

Buddy has one on his 1200 ski-doo for the last 3 years with no issues. Clutches are also maintenance free, other than blowing the belt dust out of them.

I'd be interested to know if when on the 3 cylinders do they get rid of the stupid clutch rattle that sounds like the engine is full of marbles? Both my Nytro and now sidewinder clutches sound like this.

I'd be interested to know if when on the 3 cylinders do they get rid of the stupid clutch rattle that sounds like the engine is full of marbles? Both my Nytro and now sidewinder clutches sound like this.
No sir. I too was hoping for a quieter machine, but the rattle is still there.

I can't speak for the new 998 turbo, but I'm convinced the rattle is from the female splines on the stub shaft assembly, hammering on the male splines of the crankshaft.

The rattle is not the clutch itself.

Last edited:
I am thinking of one also let me know $$ thanks

Back