• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone tried the Powerbloc 80 primary clutch?

If anyone decides to buy a PB 80, I would recommend, at a minimum, purchasing the clutch holder to keep from turning the engine over during initial torque and/or changing calibration.

If you plan to play around with different springs, a simple spring compressor tool would be useful. It can be done by hand, but would be much easier with the tool. Fortunately for me, I won one at the Giveaway ride a few years ago.

You will also need a 1-7/16 socket to torque the large nut on the governor cup.

20171220_054457.jpg
20171220_055246.jpg

Last edited:

nice pics good to know any idea of cost for all three

I believe this clutch design was developed and used by Scorpion in the late 70's is this an update of that ? had one on the 79TKX.

I believe this clutch design was developed and used by Scorpion in the late 70's is this an update of that ? had one on the 79TKX.
I had asked the guys in Canada that several years ago when we started warehousing for them and yes it dates all the way back to the 70's. In fact they told me these days several Polaris and Cat models come with them on from the factory.
I thought this was interesting too, they also told me: "CVTech manufactured all BRP clutches from the late 1980s until 2006 model year..."

If anyone decides to buy a PB 80, I would recommend, at a minimum, purchasing the puller that goes with this clutch. I would also suggest the clutch holder to keep from turning the engine over during initial torque and/or changing calibration.

If you plan to play around with different springs, a simple spring compressor tool would be useful. It can be done by hand, but would be much easier with the tool. Fortunately for me, I won one at the Giveaway ride a few years ago.

You will also need a 1-7/16 socket to torque the large nut on the governor cup.

View attachment 134702 View attachment 134703
I really like that compressor, do you know what brand that is?
I swap A LOT of springs when I calibrate ATV clutches and usually just use my weight, but the twin spring Turbo clutches are impossible without a spring compressor tool.
I've been borrowing one off the shelf for the few times I need it, but honestly I don't really like the CVTech compression tool and should break down and buy my own.

I really like that compressor, do you know what brand that is?
I swap A LOT of springs when I calibrate ATV clutches and usually just use my weight, but the twin spring Turbo clutches are impossible without a spring compressor tool.
I've been borrowing one off the shelf for the few times I need it, but honestly I don't really like the CVTech compression tool and should break down and buy my own.
The compressor pictured above was custom made by Muffin Works. They made aftermarket goodies for Yamaha. Unfortunately, they ceased production about a year ago. I actually won this compressor at the TY Giveaway ride 2 years ago. I never used it once, until I bought a PB 80; it works perfect. ;)

Goodwin Performance sells a spring compressor that looks almost identical to mine. It's priced @ $79 and seems to be used for Team roller secondary clutches.

Honestly, I think it would be relatively easy to make one.

Last edited:
The cool thing about my compressor: they machined a solid steel base that's made to clamp in a vice. It works well!

20171002_051816.jpg

Last edited:

It was actually before that, Scorpion bought out Brut (Brutanza) and they used it on the Brut machines, design by Arnie Duclo (forgive any spelling on that).

Back in the 80's/90's Duane Watt who was also tied in with Lonn Peterson of Thunder Products were selling that design and it was marketed as the Magnum Gold Quickshift clutch. A few of my friends ran them on Yamaha Phazers and L/C Exciters out in the mountains. One of those friends who has now passed away started Cities Edge Sports now in Shakopee,Mn. He sold the Quickshift clutches and I tried one on my Yamaha ported and piped Exciter. My dad ran one of the old PowerBloc clutches in the 1970's on his 1974 Ski-Doo F/A 400.

The design has been around for some time and been greatly improved. It sounds like the PB80 has had good success on higher HP machines.

It was actually before that, Scorpion bought out Brut (Brutanza) and they used it on the Brut machines, design by Arnie Duclo (forgive any spelling on that).

Back in the 80's/90's Duane Watt who was also tied in with Lonn Peterson of Thunder Products were selling that design and it was marketed as the Magnum Gold Quickshift clutch. A few of my friends ran them on Yamaha Phazers and L/C Exciters out in the mountains. One of those friends who has now passed away started Cities Edge Sports now in Shakopee,Mn. He sold the Quickshift clutches and I tried one on my Yamaha ported and piped Exciter. My dad ran one of the old PowerBloc clutches in the 1970's on his 1974 Ski-Doo F/A 400.

The design has been around for some time and been greatly improved. It sounds like the PB80 has had good success on higher HP machines.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some history! ;)!

I'm going to throw an entire week of riding at the PB 80 on my Apex, first week of February.

I am liking the way these clutches perform. I believe the puck clutches of yester-year used fixed weight pucks that you had to change for varying applications (like Comet Duster). The PB 80, however, addresses this by allowing the user to add or subtract weight to the existing components, which is a plus! If you have the proper tools, you can recalibrate a PB 80 in 10 minutes or less.

The PB 80's in my fleet are smooth in operation and they backshift fast. Apparently it takes more weight and a heavier spring to make these clutches work correctly. Each of the three pucks in my Apex currently weighs about 130 grams. The current primary spring is rated @ 71/163 KG. That's huge compared to the Yamaha B-S-B spring that was in the stock clutch rated @ 35/101 KG.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some history! ;)!

I'm going to throw an entire week of riding at the PB 80 on my Apex, first week of February.

I am liking the way these clutches perform. I believe the puck clutches of yester-year used fixed weight pucks that you had to change for varying applications (like Comet Duster). The PB 80, however, addresses this by allowing the user to add or subtract weight to the existing components, which is a plus! If you have the proper tools, you can recalibrate a PB 80 in 10 minutes or less.

The PB 80's in my fleet are smooth in operation and they backshift fast. Apparently it takes more weight and a heavier spring to make these clutches work correctly. Each of the three pucks in my Apex currently weighs about 130 grams. The current primary spring is rated @ 71/163 KG. That's huge compared to the Yamaha B-S-B spring that was in the stock clutch rated @ 35/101 KG.

Give us some feedback on how this works out. Sounds like an interesting project.

The clutch setup on my Attak works so well I hate to mess with it. I used a constant exact machine to test mine against when the clutching was stock vs. after when I clutched it. It was unreal how much stronger it got after the setup was installed.

Getting ready to give the PB 80 a whack on my 2012 Apex. I'm not a clutch wizard, but I will try and give my honest feedback this winter as I run next to an identical sled with all stock clutching.

In addition to the PB, I have the Thunder Products "Orange" spring wound @ 3-3.

View attachment 134502
Is that the tough guy orange spring?

Last edited:
Sidewinder orange secondary spring, according to Thunder Products website.
On my Viper I run PB80 with Tp orange set at 3-2 and like it. Did you notice some heat on the secondary?

Back