• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone try riding WITHOUT the sway bar???

It depends on the sled you have, just like the various posts here. I tried it on mine to see what it did while ditch riding, and I just about crappie flopped right off the darned thing!
I personally am going to a heavier bar, because I like to make it more on and more precise in the corners.

Does anyone have any pics they can post of what a sway bar looks like on a sled? I am clueless but might want to get one.

rockrider said:
It really depends on what you plan on doing and how active of a rider you are. I recall the first time I pulled a sway bar and that was on an '84 Trail Indy. I was amazed at how well the front end soaked up frozen wind waves since it was truely indepenant. It leaned more in the corners but seemed to carve pretty well.

Many years later I yanked the sway bar out of my Zx 440 race sled just because the front end rode so stiff. It helped a little bit for soaking up uneven terrian but I felt I gave up a bit too much when cornering at higher speeds.

I wouldn't consider yanking it on my Vector because it is a "soft" sway bar and you can both see and feel the skis working indepentently of one another. Yet it still corners acceptably well and I'm running stiffer springs on the front.

If you ride in the mountains you will find it way easier to sidehill when running without a swaybar. You can really plant the sled hard into the hill. Personally I would just remove it if you are curious and rate the experience for yourself. It doesn't cost anything except time and a couple beers. :drink: ;)!
WELL said this sums it ALL up!! :Rockon:

Yeah, I guess pulling the sway bar may be a trick of the past. Sounds like it is not a good idea on the newer sleds which carry the rider's weight more towards the front end.

Yeah, I guess pulling the sway bar may be a trick of the past. Sounds like it is not a good idea on the newer sleds which carry the rider's weight more towards the front end.

ApexSS said:
And how does it work?

You have a sway bar it is located behind the lower A arms under the steering linkage. It runs through the bulkhead is connect to the A arms with 2 sided rod ends.

It ties the left side to the right side & when one ski hits a bump or you go into a corner it twists the bar (torsion) keeping the front relatively flat rather than rolling and lift the inside ski (supposedly).

Some people do not like the ski lft or the rx-1 in corners heavier bar 12 or 13mm's are available but the stiffer the bar the rougher the ride depending on shocks, valving, springs.

Back