• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone try the new yamaha skis

lutrev

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 RTX
Anyone? They sound good in the ads,and price is right.

I asked my local dealer about them.

He told me that their feedback was mixed, but it was either love or hate feeling about them.

His recomendation to me was to put a set of slim jims on the stock ski`s, and hold off a season or 2 and get some real world feedback. Or if i wanted a full upgrade now go with a proven design.

Granted all of this was His opinion I do NOT have any personal experience, But this might help making a decision.

I forgot to mention, I also ride with this guy, so his recomendation of using the slim jims is because he knows the type of riding i do.

about 90% groomed trail, and 10% off trail.

This might not be your case, and might not be the best recomdation for you.

I would agree with the slim jim dooley's. I have been using them for a couple seasons and they really help the phazer turn real well. They do increase the steering effort at slow speeds but I think it is worth it.

Yamaha doesn't make good skis. Some may be acceptable but there are waaaaaaaayyyyyyy better aftermarket ones out there.

I put the slim jims on my Vector and loved them. last year i put the stud boy duley`s on the phazer and didnt like them at all, Not that there was anything wrong with them, they did reduce darting, I just didn`t care for the way they felt on the sled. I am sure there are people who like them, I just didn`t .

I am going to try out a set of Skidoo Precision ski`s and see how they feel, If i dont like them ill go with the Slim Jims.

Ruckus is correct that there are way better after market ones, but you will need to do alot of homework before making your final decision.

Before you take another person`s opinion remember to ask the type and style of riding they do. This may save you a bunch of money in the long run.

I put on 6" Stud Boy Shaper bars and WOW what a difference over the stock carbide. Good enough for my riding area that aftermarket skis not needed.

just ask to ride other sleds that have the skis u think u want to buy.
I never EVER realized how bad my steering was on my srx until i rode a rev. the rev required no english to turn. it went where it was pointed. after that, the srx had to go. new rider forward yamaha, and some good skis and we're good to go.

Just put on the 6" Studboy shaper bars, 85 bucks from Royal distributing, and WAY better steering, still not enough snow to really test, but the little bit I have to ride on, you could really tell the difference in the trees. I Like them so far.

I ordered a set of the new yamaha skis early november and was told they would be in mid november... they are still back ordered at the factory so im still waiting :-( but there is no snow so what do i care?

new but will have feedback

Hi all...... i was already shopping for some new skiis for my wifes 2012 GT i just bought her. Reading from the posts i thought it was best but my dealer has told me the skiis were vastly improved and he highly suggested putting on a different set of carbides which he did. I presumed it was just marketing talk, but now hearing they might actually be pretty good..... i will wait to see how it does when i pick it up next monday. Our trails arent open up here in muskoka yet officially but there are allot of riders out and feedback is allot of the trails are currently rideable and my lake is frozen and good to go...... So i will post next week how i find them.

ok had wifes sled out, with the new skiis, dealer gave me a super good deal on a set of cobra heads for it, now whether it was the skiis or skiis and cobrahead combo...... i found no darting on the trails after a good long ride. I was worried at first upon reading the reviews of the phazer skiis, especially for my wife, but both her and myself could not find any apparent darting at all.......... hope that helps!

pharsyd said:
ok had wifes sled out, with the new skiis, dealer gave me a super good deal on a set of cobra heads for it, now whether it was the skiis or skiis and cobrahead combo...... i found no darting on the trails after a good long ride. I was worried at first upon reading the reviews of the phazer skiis, especially for my wife, but both her and myself could not find any apparent darting at all.......... hope that helps!
What are the new skis? Are they still 5" wide?
I can see better skis and carbides being an improvement on hardpack trails but as soon as the trails get soft due to high temps or being chewed up the 5" skis will sink and cause hard steering. With 7" skis, like the Slydogs PH's, the skis float on top of the soft snow making for much less steering effort. To me at least 7" skis are essential on a front heavy four stroke.

Back