• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone try this airbox mod from Schmidt brothers?

Bluebullet

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 sidewinder LTX GT, 2010 Apex LTX GT
Any input on this mod? What else is required? I ran ECP kit on my 03 RX1 and loved the sound and mid range power.

Attachments

• stealth-air-apex-06-10.jpg
    stealth-air-apex-06-10.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 817

I made my own that is very similar as I already had the filters. Slightly louder, dont know if it added much hp because I never ran the sled before I modded.

That kits if you ask me looks like a package of uni filters you cut box and pop in? The number of filter he sells in kit is how they are sold from parts unlimited or which ever vendor I saw selling them. So I don't see the science behind this personally. There is nothing special about this idea if you ask me. I built my own intake 10 years ago with sheet aluminum, SLP screen and prefilter screen and hot glue and good to go. Sled was louder and changed power band. Don't think I would do it again. Lots of mixed reviews on air box mods. Srx spent $800 on dyno runs trying all kinds of different intakes. At the end he said save your money. Money better spent on many other aspects of sled if you ask me.

Let me shed some light....a two stroke motor operates as a tuned air pump basically...factors include "pulse" "flow" and "reversion" ....therefore never mess with a yamaha two stroke "tuned" air box for a trail sled....a four stroke "can" benefit from the increased efficiency of an air box mod and exhaust ...this mod does work with little negative effects..and yes they are uni filters that any motor cycle shop sells

Does anyone know the entire volume of three of these filters combined? Do these have prefilter screen? I am considering buying three frog skins with a od of 2.5 and id of 1.5. So wondering about running three of these instead of 9 of the small unifilters? I will add prefilter material if needed as I have built my own vents in past and is easy.

On a RX1 find one of those ECP Filter kits... the sleds really rocked. Might be able to have Ulmer kit you everyone thing you need for an RX1

Back