• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex cold start wont start

our cold weather has prevented sled starting the next day following all day flawless starting. 1st episode 2 weeks ago, changed plugs, doing it again. other sleds(2 strokers in group) no probs. Any common cause/cure

Thanks

Yamadood

Matt, You are correct....

Just came back from a back-pack trip, and temps were below zero everyday. Opened up the gas cap, and had an ice ridge of about an 1/8 inch around the hole, and the cap was full of frost. I had a hard time starting my attak. Even going down the trail, it seemed to have a fouled plug miss to it, but then would clear out. Added a 1/2 bottle of Isopropyl, and all was good. The key is to keep using it when below temps, and keep your tank as full as possible overnight.

NOS-PRO said:
Matt, You are correct....

Just came back from a back-pack trip, and temps were below zero everyday. Opened up the gas cap, and had an ice ridge of about an 1/8 inch around the hole, and the cap was full of frost. I had a hard time starting my attak. Even going down the trail, it seemed to have a fouled plug miss to it, but then would clear out. Added a 1/2 bottle of Isopropyl, and all was good. The key is to keep using it when below temps, and keep your tank as full as possible overnight.
are you sure the cap wasnt frosted from all the nitrous you run thru that thing? lol!

LOL!

Good one!

Believe it or not, I used the button only 1 time this trip, as I didn't bring spare bottles along.... But I should have taken a picture of the tank opening,....you guys would have been shocked. I won't go anywhere without putting Iso in when it is cold now.

apex cold start

yes, i've noticed the ice collection in the cap also. I actually had run some iso thru but apparently was not added on the most recent fill. Why do the 4-strokes have such issues in comparison to the old reliable 2-s'rs, rather annoying don't you think as i can't remember having issue w/ my 10+ year old cars/trucks in the cold. I went out to the garage(unheated) last night to put the charger on the sled and just for the heck of it, turned the key and it started, where it would not start to take it off the trailer the other day??

apex cold start

Oh, I forgot, we were riding in a small group, 2 Machs and F8. One Mach, bored, ported, clutched, piped and NOS. He never had the nerve to launch as our first pass down Gogebic(piston-lake) it shut-down and thought it was junk w/o the NOS but it just got tight and was lucky. We ended up on the lake 2 more times that trip but he had no guts to launch after the first episode although his temps were within range and had dialed up the fuel and oil mixtures. They do GO but sounds like a good way to mess up a trip for the others. The F8 was a total pooch, handling(yikes), no studs....nice heaters though! The Apex is definitely a more agile sled and much more responsive, when it starts.

Methyl Hydrate will thaw the ice and turn it into water but it does not mix with it. So when the water comes in contact with cold metal it can refreeze. ISO melts the water and mixes with it so that it will actually burn thru the motor with out refreezing.

tracy greenfield said:
our cold weather has prevented sled starting the next day following all day flawless starting. 1st episode 2 weeks ago, changed plugs, doing it again. other sleds(2 strokers in group) no probs. Any common cause/cure

Thanks

Yamadood

These guys are correct. I'll bet the curcitry is freezing up. When it is that cold out, I'll carry an old little hair dryer with me. I needed the other day as mine froze up and wouldn.t start. I ran the dryer on the left footwell for a few minutes and voila, fired right up.

The info on here is awsome. I learned about that from here and sure enough, the sled started right up. Gotta love this site..... :rocks:

-1CS

Wish I knew about this last season when I got stranded at a pit stop after a radical temperature drop.

Buddy rode an hour and a half to get the truck and trailer. I figured my sled was parked for the day so I commenced lubrication with the local lovelies. :drink:

Forgot all about having to load that dead weight and wasn't the best of help once he returned but he'll get over it. :hide:

noticed the frost on my gas cap as well, now use the yamaha fuel conditioner and stabilizer at every fill up, so far no more frost.

Side note...when mine froze up this past trip I could clearly hear the fuel pump circulating with the key as it always did. So in my case it was not electrical as a few here have stated...it had to be a drop of water frozen somewhere in just the wrong place. Watson's marina (Yami dealer in Curtis) helped me thaw it, and informed me that this was quite common on these sleds, he recommended 3 to 4 ounces of iso with every fill-up for preventative maintenance...but he said no reason to go as strong as a full bottle for 10 gallons as it says on the bottle.

Most of the fuel in the UP does not contain Ethanol, especially in the 87 octane pumps. But if you run in areas where there is ethanol mixed into most of the fuel, the iso is probably unnecessary as the ethanol serves the same drying purpose as iso. Unfortunately this is very difficult to determine anymore since most states have eliminated disclosure of ethanol laws at the pump...so it's a crapshoot. Therefore, a little extra iso in the fuel certainly won't hurt a thing, can only help provide a touch of insurance.

craze1cars said:
Side note...when mine froze up this past trip I could clearly hear the fuel pump circulating with the key as it always did. So in my case it was not electrical as a few here have stated...it had to be a drop of water frozen somewhere in just the wrong place. Watson's marina (Yami dealer in Curtis) helped me thaw it, and informed me that this was quite common on these sleds, he recommended 3 to 4 ounces of iso with every fill-up for preventative maintenance...but he said no reason to go as strong as a full bottle for 10 gallons as it says on the bottle.

Most of the fuel in the UP does not contain Ethanol, especially in the 87 octane pumps. But if you run in areas where there is ethanol mixed into most of the fuel, the iso is probably unnecessary as the ethanol serves the same drying purpose as iso. Unfortunately this is very difficult to determine anymore since most states have eliminated disclosure of ethanol laws at the pump...so it's a crapshoot. Therefore, a little extra iso in the fuel certainly won't hurt a thing, can only help provide a touch of insurance.
I couldn't agree with you more....

ISO

I was up in the U.P. two weeks ago every station I went to told me they did not have methanol in there gas.I was concerned about freeze ups it was 14 below at watersmeet. This ISO you are talking about is this regular rubbing alcohol or is it a dealer thing?This post someone said something about directions on the bottle. I need to take something when I go north in 1 week.

:die :jump: :rocks:

Back