• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex cooling system

f7lee

Extreme
hey guys i have a 2006 apex rtx and i just changed out my front heat exchanger for the second time in two years due to a stud puncture,(what a pain again)i filled up with 50/50 and ran the sled to make sure it was full, my question is that the over flow res is full but not returning back to main tank, while riding it i had to put in about 12 ounces of fluid due to the overflow not circulating back to main, what may cause this, anyone have any ideas where i should look for the answer, sled runs great, thx Lee

The only time coolant moves from overflow back to the main system is when the system cools down and creates a vacuum in the system. My guess would be you had a large amount of trapped air in the system. I would refill the system and let it run and see if it circulates, then let it cool completely then recheck. If it is again low, it is loosing coolant somewhere. Did it overheat when you lost the front exchanger?

Also I have read and found that the over flow won't hold much at all. It will just spit it out. That is if the main tank,etc. is full. On both my Attaks I use to fill the over flow until the line and it would spit it out back to a very low almost empty looking level. I left it that way and it never changed and or over heated. Also every time I opened the rad cap it when cold it was full so the system was performing the way it wanted.

Yes vx700xtc it did over heat and shut off once, i tried to restart it would not so i towed it home and waited til morning, plugged hole filled system and started right up and idled fine. I replaced exchanger and rode it a couple times having to add a little antifreeze each time

normal to have to add multipul times if you dont bleed out the air. also air will compress where fluid wont so when you have an air gap in the system and the fluid expands due to higher heat level it takes more to reach the psi limit of the cap as it has a gap to compress and the larger the gap the more it takes keep topping off main resi as you ride the next 3-4 times and she should be alrght. of course you could just bleed the system and it will be good right away.

Over flow Resevoir on all my Apex' have only an oz or so in them when cold.

Do not fill it. you will just blow it out every time you ride it. Keep it almost empty & you should be fine unless you have a bad Rad cap.

ok i refilled, anyone know how much antifreeze the system takes, and could i be losing any threw the head gasket if it was compromised when i overheated?

The system should level off and stablize for you. Then you can tell if your really losing stuff.
I would check the main cap cold after a good ride. If it's not at the top top it off and fill the over flow half way. Run it again for a good ride. Check the main cap again. Check the overflow. it should be down to the bottom. If the main cap is off and you can't see the fluid at the top of it add some more and try again.
IT should bleed itself and stabilize until every time you check the main cap cold it will be at the top. The over flow will be at the bottom.

CaptCaper I have refilled threw the radiator cap several times, r u suggesting I fill threw the other tank, when cold both tanks r empty, when i fill radiator cap tank it stays filled and bubbles come up from bottom (some have suggested bad head gasket are causing bubbles) then when it cools down both tanks r empty at least warming it up in garage not riding. The one time I added while riding the non radiator cap tank was full and other was empty so I topped off radiator cap tank and there was pressure when i uncapped radiator cap, i have added at least a gallon of 50/50 so far could I still have air in system? Last thing I want to do is replace head gasket if i don't have to, thx for replies guys I'm kinda lost on this one. As a side note there is no leaking hose or exchanger and no antifreeze smell from exhaust, sled runs good

sled would not iddle or run good with bad head gasket and you would have milkey white oil in the engin if you lost a gallon into the system some would be getting into the oil there would be some evidence raise the rear of the sled and in the rear cross tube you will find the bleed valve. make that the highest point in the system then push in the valve and slowly lower the rear of the sled till anti freeze come out then release the valve and set back on the ground then check and fill and run and check again. i think it holds about 2 gallons.

I couldn't get my rear valve to bleed after installing a rear cooler this past fall. So I picked the front up real high so the radiator cap was the highest point of the cooling system. I ran the machine then until it got warm. This did the trick as I have been good to go since.
Lot's of air possible in our system due to radiator,etc. You have to get it to circulate out.

Back