• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex mtn. hyperfax

bmiller

Veteran
What style hyfax are you guys putting on your mtn apex? Hiperf. engineering doesn't have apex listed in their catalog! Looks like profile 27 is what is on 07 model sleds. Profile 20 are the old style on rx mtns. and vipers! will it make a difference if I put profile 20 on over profile 27 which I think is stock!

bmiller said:
What style hyfax are you guys putting on your mtn apex? Hiperf. engineering doesn't have apex listed in their catalog! Looks like profile 27 is what is on 07 model sleds. Profile 20 are the old style on rx mtns. and vipers! will it make a difference if I put profile 20 on over profile 27 which I think is stock!

It won't make much of a difference. The profile 27 is just wider in the area that the track clips contact. If you look again at the profile 20 and the profile 27; you'll see that the '05 RS-vector mountain and RX-1 mountain are listed under both profiles.

I think the 27 has a wider contact area to make up for the tipped up rails not seen on the '03/'04 RX-1 mountains. By the way the '06 APEX and APEX mountain are the first two sleds listed in the profile 27 as seen here; www.hiperf.com/acatalog/info_PROFILE27.html

The '07s would be the same since the mountain APEX skid wasn't changed from '06 to '07. With that being said; if you can find a set of RX-1 style hyperfax long enough for the APEX rails; they should fit based off the above details.

Jim

I am on my third set off slides in 540 miles,I like of trail riding and when I ride on the trial I am Conservative.I hope the Mid and front wheel kits do the trick.

Attachments

• New Wheels.jpg
    New Wheels.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 125
twest said:
I am on my third set off slides in 540 miles,I like of trail riding and when I ride on the trial I am Conservative.I hope the Mid and front wheel kits do the trick.

Couple of things, I would get some scratchers from MPI (skid mount) or Hartman (ski mount). The MPI ones have worked OK for me, I don't use them except for on very hardpacked trails.

3 sets in 540 miles seems like a lot, I would loosen the track up a tad (not too loose though). The hyfax tend to wear ALOT at the beginning on the front of the rails then the wear levels out. I put on 1300 miles last year on my factory hyfax.

tk

tmk50 said:
twest said:

Couple of things, I would get some scratchers from MPI (skid mount) or Hartman (ski mount). The MPI ones have worked OK for me, I don't use them except for on very hardpacked trails.

3 sets in 540 miles seems like a lot, I would loosen the track up a tad (not too loose though). The hyfax tend to wear ALOT at the beginning on the front of the rails then the wear levels out. I put on 1300 miles last year on my factory hyfax.

tk

I order a set of MPI scratchers. This weekend I will find out, if this helps.if you loosen the track to much you can destroy the drives, I have tried every configuration I know.

My rails are different than the Apex rails however I used to go through rails rather quickly prior to installing Holz scratchers and ditching all the wheel. It seemed to me like the wheels caused mor wear in areas that didn't have any. With them all gone and the scratchers in the skid there is a more evenly distributed weight along the entire rail and thus equal wear. One of my problem areas was right behind the two sets of wheels at the mount for the front H-arm. I now have over 800 miles with the same hyfax with over half the life still left.

Here's a photo of my sled with scratchersinstalled and all wheels removed.

Jim

Attachments

• RX-1 mtn Update 11-20-05.jpg
    RX-1 mtn Update 11-20-05.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 124
Some how I ended up getting a profile 20 and a profile 27 for my sled this year,I had all ready had them installed and cut off so im running it that way.The 27 are wider and what I thought I ordered.

Re: hartman

pro116 said:
tmk the ski scrathers won't work with the new style yamaha ski's.

Wow that suprises me - I figured since Hartman was making them they would work. Oh well....

tk

I just noticed the same thing when I inspected my sled after my first week of riding it. I have 412 miles on it. So I just read this thread and if I'm understanding you guys I have nothing to worry about.

What about if it looks like one side wore faster and in one spot more?

I have 1050 miles on stock hyfax, 25% worn, if that. When I have to ride on the trail, I constantly hit the pow on the edges of the trail. Not only does it keep the hyfax lubed, it makes a boring trail ride more fun.

Get the graphite slides. Not hyper fax they don't last, but the graphite. They take the heat and outlast regular plastic by a long shot. Maxdlx

Man there was more powder than I could have asked for, not very many packed trail miles and I tied to stay in the powder. What gives?

I think I'm leaning towards thsuggestion of removing all the wheels fromanother thread.

I had scrathcers but I noticed they wee rubbing the edges of the track so I'll need to figuresomething out there......16" track is WIDDDE.

Running Yamaha graphite hyfaxes with Simmons cooling fins. 1500 miles very little wear. Mainly have been trail ridding, not quite enough to get snow to get off trail yet. Most Yamaha sleds that i have delt with seem to eat hyfaxs to about the 5/8 to 3/4 worn mark pretty quick. Then they last for quite a while. A lot of the newer sleds are going through hyfaxes more now than the older sleds. Everyone keeps moving the central mass of the sleds futher back in the chasis to make it more central, thus putting more weight on the track instead up front on the skis. It is not just Yamaha eating up hyfaxes.

Back