• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex?....never had one....

Turk said:
Again...read thru the apex posts! Your questions have all been answered time & time again in the last 4 years.

Sorry to be bothering you with my questions...I WILL read through the posts...but I guess I got a little carried away with ACTUALLY asking those who know..... I guess should have thought before I posted such space wasting questions.

I really appreciated those who answered and confirmed my questions; Again ; sorry "turk".... :welc:

apexstew said:
I was really skeptical on the weight issue, but seems like the Apex is no more of an issue than what I have now, and it (Cat) has a 13.5" Cobra on it...I assume the 136" is the best route too...

How bad are they in say 1 to 1.5 ft powder over good base...I am not into big drifts, but I do venture off trail some?.....what milage average should the heavy maintenance issues take place.....and who wants to sell me one LOL?......great site too btw!

They are fine in this amount of snow. No good in the really deep stuff as Turk says.

First service is to adjust valves at 40 K.

Change oil yearly, Grease idlers and drive and jackshaft yearly.

May need Exhaust Donuts at 5 to 10 k. [mine are still fine at 8 k]

Handwarmers are marginal. Need Gauntlets or upgrade to warmers below - 15. Wear thin gloves.

About 16.5 mpg, 120 mile / 200 k range.

You will want different carbides & or Ski's. Stock carbides are poor.

Other than that, gas and go. I've put over 100,000K on my Ricers the last 10 years. Never came close to being left out on the trail.

I was a Doo, Cat, Doo and Poo man in that order for my first 35 years as a sledder. They all left me on the trail, Cat being the worst by far. Yammie reliability is top notch.

As Turk says, go to the Apex forum and FAQ section. Pretty much anything you want to know is there.

A lot of knowledge here on this site and very civil.

I'll likely be selling my 2006 Apex GT, but not until the end of the season. It is just getting broken in at 5,000 miles, not just about wore out like some 2 strokes.

:yam: :Rockon:

absolutely long track. Mine is fine in the powder on the lakes. Best if speed is kept up and you have mountain or powder skis. Off trail in the deep stuff at low speed could be problematic...front end weighs a ton if you get stuck. Unbelievable stable groomed trail sled. I came from a Ski Doo Renegade which I loved....I love this twice as much. Watercrossings were a ball on the Ski Doo, but I do not trust the Yammie. I could play on the Doo. This will cross water if you have to but I do not know for how long and I do not want to find out.

Sorry to be bothering you with my questions...I WILL read through the posts...but I guess I got a little carried away with ACTUALLY asking those who know..... I guess should have thought before I posted such space wasting questions.

I really appreciated those who answered and confirmed my questions; Again ; sorry "turk".... :welc:[/quote]

I have an 07 Apex GT with 121" track. It did not do well on deep powder on the lake when I first got it but I put the Slydog Powerhound skis on the sled and it does not even ride like the same sled. They also work well on trail riding. Much less darting and carve like there is no tomorrow. Many people settle for the stock skis but in my opinion the $350 I spent on the skis was money well spent. Hopefully some day Yamaha will wake up and put skis with similar design on at the factory.

If you are an agressive boon docker then the Apex isn't the sled for you. If you love to just sit and ride and put massive amount of miles in the seat then the APEX is your sled.

I have an APEX and a Back country X. The Apex is just too heavy for the deep powder.

Definatly get at least a 136 the torque of the 4 stroke easily over powers the 121.

The apex is a good sled on and off the trail. I don't see where the issue is with using an apex for off trail riding. You have to be willing to drive the sled and make it go where you want though. I have a 2007 apex rtx and ride with renegades and crossfires almost everytime out and never have an issue. I have replaced the stock skis and track though. I run powder pros and a cobra track. Riding with stock skis is a nightmare in the powder. 95% of my riding is boondocking and fields.

As far as what would be a concern when buying a used apex. I would replace the frontend bushings with ulmers oilite bushings. Replace the exhaust dounts and inspect the y-pipes for damage. Inspect the rear suspension for cracks. Among the other things that you check when looking to buy a used sled. The apex is a fun sled but does require you to stay on top of maintaining it to avoid bigger issues.

Have had two RX1s, one Vector and am now on my second Apex. Have had all the others. Renegade 1000, F series and more Pols than I care to remember. You will become addicted to the power that is ALWAYS there when you pull the trigger on these sleds. Not a single one of my Yamis has ever left me stranded. As has been stated there are things you must keep up with and things you can do to improve the performance of your sled for whatever kind of riding you may do. Also this site is absolutely the best. It is full of a pile of people who have been there - done that. They have helped me and they will help you. You won't regret your decision if you get an Apex.

apex

igot new rx1 in 04 put 9000 miles on it all idid was put atrack on it loved it got an 06 apex this summer and i like it even more always had cats but no more have not got a lot of miles on it yet but it feels real strong and handles good sat night my buddy came down with azrt 600 triple,clutched up,stinger pipes 200 new studs and i blew him away every time we tried them he could not beleive how strong it is ilive in woodstock n.b. i will never go back to a 2 stroke,just my 2 cents worth.

Turk said:
been der dun dat. real deep off trail attak=submarine. It,s been covered.
i like anchor, because eventually a submarine comes back up.

Once you get that YAMAHA and put on some time---you will probably sell your ARTIC-CRAPS. :rules[/quote]

I wonder why? This site used to not bash other brands.

One best thing about Yamaha is there engine. All other parts are getting changed every day by guys wanting better.

Skis/Steering needs work
Traction needs work

The 4 stroke motor has so much torque its addicting. Most forget all the bad as soon as they hit the throttle.

136 boondocking is nose in the air and stuck often, but we are talking 4' plus. Now 1.5-2' powder I am sure a stock 121 would be just fine. Takes alot more energy to horse the monster around but when you get back on the trail and get your arms stretch its all worth it.

shanksyamaha said:
Turk said:
been der dun dat. real deep off trail attak=submarine. It,s been covered.

Im sure in real deep stuff it would sink, its only a 136 but he said 1.5-2 ft of powder over base. I think the attack would work well for that, especially if its not all the time.
We just broke new trail up hill thru 2-3 feet of soft snow with my shortie with the iceripperxt track on,and no problems other than steering,it was a narrow trail to a remote camp at around 3000 feet in maine last week,my wifes stock pool 600 classic broke for a while to.

You will love the Apex! You sound like me as I was a solid "Team-Green" rider and never thought any sled would make me change. I am also a crotch-rocket nut and when I had an opportunity to ride a buddie's Apex GT, I was absolutely sold! I always heard about the weight of the 4-strokes and how you can't run them through the woods like the 2-stokes. Go ahead and ride one, once you get it set up for your style of riding I found it to be no problem throwing it around and hammering out of the turns. The sled flat out flys! I picked up a Nytro this year and that sled is a riot! Reliability? - Turn the key and enjoy the full day, everyday......... :rules

Back