• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX XTX 1.25 Convert to Ice Cobra 1.6 Is it EASY?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex XTX
Without anyone beating me up to "go do a search a$$ hole" could an actual person who converted from the stock 1.25 inch track to the ICE Cobra 1.6 tell me if its just a simple slap on and no modifications needed? Also, is it really worth the hype to spend $630.00 going from the stock 1.25 to a ICE 1.6 ? Thanks :sled2:
2012 Apex 144 1.25 track 15 width.

0554070d59e00508256726532f0969e3.jpg

Without anyone beating me up to "go do a search a$$ hole" could an actual person who converted from the stock 1.25 inch track to the ICE Cobra 1.6 tell me if its just a simple slap on and no modifications needed? Also, is it really worth the hype to spend $630.00 going from the stock 1.25 to a ICE 1.6 ? Thanks :sled2:
2012 Apex 144 1.25 track 15 width.

0554070d59e00508256726532f0969e3.jpg
I put the 1.35 cobra on mine with 1.6 studs had to add to the tunnel protectors and change the drivers but was well worth it.

i put a composit 1-1/2" track on my 2011 apex xtx with no issues all last season. still need to pre season it for this year. a bit more of a pain to put the drive axle in but it is doing well so far. loved the added traction.

Bolt it in and just keep an eye on your tunnel protection. Mine collapsed and had to be repaired, but that wouldn't stop me from putting a 1.5 or 1.6 track in it. You'll REALLY notice the difference!! I'm honing in on nearly 30,000 miles with 1.5 tracks in my sleds.

I would have very much preferred a 1.5 track vs the 1.75 my XTX came with as I ended up swapping out the Backcountry for a Ripsaw II 1.25. Still have track and drivers but think if anything would prefer a 1.5 or possibly the 1.6.

I would have very much preferred a 1.5 track vs the 1.75 my XTX came with as I ended up swapping out the Backcountry for a Ripsaw II 1.25. Still have track and drivers but think if anything would prefer a 1.5 or possibly the 1.6.
thats interesting that you reduced. I am assuming you reduced in order to haul butt on groomed trails?

Just wasn't comfortable having that 1.75 track in the areas we ride. Although we do mainly ride the eastern UP, there were previous winters I would have been nervous running that tall of lug. For example, we like to go up between Christmas and New Years to Curtis and it is asking a lot for there to be enough snow to ride a 1.75 let alone 1" lug track. Now, there have also been times where the conditions were sufficient for it but just thought more times than none, the 1.25 would be better as that is what I run on my other snowmobiles. The irony is that I still added the mountain duponts (allows dupont inserts to go full length of rail) and ice scratchers but hardly use the ice scratchers and the duponts look great.

I will apologize in advance, as this has been one of my favorite upgrades to brag about on here. No longer am I the trail tank stuck on the side of the trail waiting for my buddies to pull me out. Now I am the guy pulling their shorties out!! This track allows the XTX trail tank to rip soft snow! No longer do I worry about stopping off the groomer, just to hit the gas and auger to the dirt. And the small studs are just enough to give me a bit of traction stopping and accelerating.

It's not the same as studs, but it's way better than the stock non-studded track for sure. And check the condition of your old track, there is a good market for it used. I sold my stock track with over 4000 miles on it, as it was in great shape. I have over 5000 miles on the 1.6" Ice Cobra and it's in good shape too. A few of the studs are ground off, but it still provides quite a bit of added safety.

I pulled my heat exchangers out. The rear ones are bolt in. The front one I had to grind out as it was welded in. Not a big deal once you have everything out. With all the hard riding and hard braking, I still do not have any scratches inside my tunnel, or on the EXUP. So yes, DO IT!!

You can't be the only one asking, as the video on my YouTube channel has had over 15,000 views!!

Don't forget those Apex Mountain Skis!!

Good luck!

on my 16 XTX went from a 1.25 to a 1.6 ice Cobra got about seven thousand miles on it before it started to quickly fall apart. Night and day difference. Well worth it. Needed new drivers for clearance to get the bigger track. Last year put an ice storm 1.5 on it.not enough miles on it yet to tell you what I think about it. But it looks like it should work well. The ice Cobra was great just wanted to try something different

I found a 2009 Apex RTX 1 owner he put a 136 inch extension from Tracks USA. He put a Ice Cobra 1.6 with 3 studs per row inside and he said it was really easy. I’m 99.9% sure I will be taking off his hands Friday afternoon and I always wanted a RTX for a collector I even found a near perfect 99 500 sx just like the first Yamaha I bought

I will apologize in advance, as this has been one of my favorite upgrades to brag about on here. No longer am I the trail tank stuck on the side of the trail waiting for my buddies to pull me out. Now I am the guy pulling their shorties out!! This track allows the XTX trail tank to rip soft snow! No longer do I worry about stopping off the groomer, just to hit the gas and auger to the dirt. And the small studs are just enough to give me a bit of traction stopping and accelerating.

It's not the same as studs, but it's way better than the stock non-studded track for sure. And check the condition of your old track, there is a good market for it used. I sold my stock track with over 4000 miles on it, as it was in great shape. I have over 5000 miles on the 1.6" Ice Cobra and it's in good shape too. A few of the studs are ground off, but it still provides quite a bit of added safety.

I pulled my heat exchangers out. The rear ones are bolt in. The front one I had to grind out as it was welded in. Not a big deal once you have everything out. With all the hard riding and hard braking, I still do not have any scratches inside my tunnel, or on the EXUP. So yes, DO IT!!

You can't be the only one asking, as the video on my YouTube channel has had over 15,000 views!!

Don't forget those Apex Mountain Skis!!

Good luck!

So Biff I have to ask what did you do about your heat exchangers. Move them under the running boards? And what about the front one you had to grind the welds on. I figure I would not have to do this on my Backcountry 146 Vector. Because it has smaller drive sprockets. But probably need to add some sort of protection.

So Biff I have to ask what did you do about your heat exchangers. Move them under the running boards? And what about the front one you had to grind the welds on. I figure I would not have to do this on my Backcountry 146 Vector. Because it has smaller drive sprockets. But probably need to add some sort of protection.

Honestly, I don't think they would have hit the protectors if I had left them in. But with them out, there isn't a scratch on the exchangers. Yup, it was a gamble, but it proved to be a non issue.

Many think you will hit these on a g-out where the skid is completely compressed. With a longer lug/stud, that may have been so, but with 1.6" to the top of the stud, they don't come close. The front exchanger is hit most often from heavy breaking, as the track "bunches" around the drive shaft cogs. Here again, mine has not scratched the exchanger yet. I set the track a bit tighter at first, in hopes of avoiding this issue. But I have been loosening it up to normal tension with each skid service as this has proven to not be an issue. And I don't like hyfax wear with a tight track.

So roughly 5000 miles in, I'm happy with it as it sits, and the performance it gave me. I would buy another. Some ask if I would go to the 1.5" Ice Storm. Honestly, it would fall more on price and availability when I need it. My track is in good enough shape, I could probably recoup half my costs back if I sold it now, like I did with my stocker Ripsaw! HA!

I'm not sure what benefit there is to the 1.5 over the 1.6. The Winder guys say the 1.6 is weak and folds over with "that much power" but I think there are lot more variables that cause premature track wear, than such a powerful engine. (smile) Probably being a parking lot superstar, or trying to roost your buddys on a soft road shoulder should be avoided. I have ground more studs off, than folded over any fingers. And we ride all the bad conditions that should wack a track. We are not known for weeks of endless/bottomless powder in North Central Minnesota. Ice and Snirt is more like it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think they would not have hit the protectors if I had left them in. But with them out, there isn't a scratch on the exchangers. Yup, it was a gamble, but it proved to be a non issue.

Many think you will hit these on a g-out where the skid is completely compressed. With a longer lug/stud, that may have been so, but with 1.6" to the top of the stud, they don't come close. The front exchanger is hit most often from heavy breaking, as the track "bunches" around the drive shaft cogs. Here again, mine has not scratched the exchanger yet. I set the track a bit tighter at first, in hopes of avoiding this issue. But I have been loosening it up to normal tension with each skid service as this has proven to not be an issue. And I don't like hyfax wear with a tight track.

So roughly 5000 miles in, I'm happy with it as it sits, and the performance it gave me. I would buy another. Some ask if I would go to the 1.5" Ice Storm. Honestly, it would fall more on price and availability when I need it. My track is in good enough shape, I could probably recoup half my costs back if I sold it now, like I did with my stocker Ripsaw! HA!

I'm not sure what benefit there is to the 1.5 over the 1.6. The Winder guys say the 1.6 is weak and folds over with "that much power" but I think there are lot more variables that cause premature track wear, than such a powerful engine. (smile) Probably being a parking lot superstar, or trying to roost your buddys on a soft road shoulder should be avoided. I have ground more studs off, than folded over any fingers. And we ride all the bad conditions that should wack a track. We are not known for weeks of endless/bottomless powder in North Central Minnesota. Ice and Snirt is more like it.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply just wondering if you moved the coolers or went without. If you went without how was your cooling? I want to do this upgrade. Hopefully due to smaller drive sprockets the coolers won’t be an issue for me. Unfortunately due to my oddball track drive ratio. My OEM track won’t be as easy to sell as yours. Also due to the 146 in length. Sorry I misunderstood your first post. You must have removed the protectors not the coolers. Now it makes sense!

yes, you are correct, I pulled the protectors and left the exchangers.

The best bet on your track is figure out the pitch, you have the length, and also the factory model number. The Camso part number. And advertise it by the Camso part and dimensions. Guys serious about finding a good used track search by those, and not by "used apex track" as they will assume it won't fit. Only to come find it's the most popular track on a polaris etc. You just never know when someone is adding rail extensions to their old sled as well. Mine went to an Apex GT owner extending to 144" but liked the 1.25" paddle.

Good luck!

Back