• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Are heat shields needed???

iarx1

Veteran
I put a new ripsaw (warranty from Yamaha) on my 03 with 120 woodys down the middle. The first time out I noticed bad ratcheting just like last years POS finger. Went in to tighten track and noticed the heat shield was ripped off by the studs. Next day rode 60 miles in the ditches no problems. Are these things Needed??? If they are, is this something Yamaha would warranty??

I rode all last winter, and my shield was perfect. I studded for this year, and the shield is bent up, after 1 ride. I have a 1.25 track. The studs stabbed a piece of wood, and did the damaged. I had to put it in reverse to get the wood out.

My heat shield departed the sled about 600mi. ago. There have been asolutly no ill effects without it, just as i suspected. Also the studs have never touched the pipes.

Mine is loose and I thought about taking it off, but kinda second guessed myself. If you think about it, that little piece of metal isn't going to protect anything from those studs if it came down to it, so I think I will just take mine off instead of listening to it rattle.

Rattle

You think that rattles, you should hear my gear reduction rattle at idle. Sounds like a bucket of bolts. Still works though after 1800 miles. I have 1.25" studs and my heat shield still looks pretty good. I was surprised.

Mine has cracked at both ends so i added 2 more rivits and that held it,but 2 days ago i installed the GP-1 and left it off completly,
my dealers mechanic said i don't really need it,maybay someone may find use for it at the dump :lol:

Back